Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sequential greddy tt setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 AM
Honda2Nismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15lb.test
Does it make you feel good to put someone down that you don't even know? It sure is a good indicator of your maturity level. Thanks for your post it really contributed to the issue.
He isn't really putting you down. Basically he is saying a competent tuner will be able to narrow down these problems and tell you what is wrong so they can be fixed accordingly, as opposed to you taking a shot in the dark with something you don't fully understand yet and breaking something.

You bought a built car from someone else without knowing the history or quality of what wad done. Not saying buying built is bad, because that's what I did..however I worked on the car for the original build, and helped rebuild the bottom end and looked over the whole motor and components before leaving with it.

My situation has been great, though I also have great support from my builder/tuner.

Find a shop or someone whoms work and knowledge you trust. Use the search function and Google to learn about things you don't fully understand. Check out other platforms and how they do things.

Knowledge is king. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 15lb.test
It's controlled by the utec...
It's not mapped for the hesitation
So why would the controller need to be changed?
Thanks... e
Yes, you have to adjust the duty cycle on the boost solenoid. If you have a light spring the duty cycle will be high in order to hold the higher level of boost you want. When you put a heavier spring on you have to turn the duty cycle down on the boost controller to maintain the same level of boost you had before.

so it'll need to be adjusted. i guess saying it will need to be tuned isn't quite the right words to use.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:40 AM
15lb.test

Originally Posted by binder
Yes, you have to adjust the duty cycle on the boost solenoid. If you have a light spring the duty cycle will be high in order to hold the higher level of boost you want. When you put a heavier spring on you have to turn the duty cycle down on the boost controller to maintain the same level of boost you had before.

so it'll need to be adjusted. i guess saying it will need to be tuned isn't quite the right words to use.
Thanks for the explanation Jeff.. I appreciate it.. now it makes sense!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
binder

np, hope you get it figured out.

truthfully, i would take it to a shop so they can get it all setup correctly then from there you have a great map and you can learn from it then. that way you know the timing is at least safe and you can just stay below that level.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:27 AM
15lb.test

thats the plan.. just ordered .7bar wastegate springs.. and a external utec map selector.. 3 tunes.. economy... .7bar for daily drving.. and a gogo map for killen cobra's.. etc.. lol
tryinto make/find time to get to maperformance in mpls for the dyno tuning to get done.. here Jordan there is pretty good..
only problem is that he doesn't want to tune on a utec!? he stated that they quit doin that a couple years back and really
don't want to do another one.. So.. im tryin to appeal to his better nature to win him over for a tune!!

Last edited by 15lb.test; 05-13-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:49 AM
binder

what does he tune with?

they did stop supporting utec so technically he is right but it doesn't make the whole thing crap.

As long as he knows how to tune it and he is good then it will be fine.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:03 AM
15lb.test

I honestly don't konw what he tunes with.. I was reffered to him by a friend of mine who has an insane evo.. swears by him..
http://www.maperformance.com/services.html
maybe this will explain? Im a noob at this so all help/advice is well recieved..
Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
binder

cobb tuner, haltech, hydra, utec, greddy emanage

those are what it says he tunes with so he has experience in utec. Out of those 5 the only other one i would let someone tune with would be haltech (what i run). hydra and cobb tuner are out of the question for me.

oh, split second also but that would be a step back from utec although a simple and easy piggyback.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:21 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the tune, leave the springs at 5 lbs, youll be fine. most boost curves look better with a controller than just a wg spring anyways
Old 05-13-2011, 11:45 AM
15lb.test

true, but i am getting alot of hesitation when building boost. This is suppose to be due to the light springs in there.. The old tuner said that if i put 10lb'rs in that will go away.. Thus the reason for the change.. You think to leave them though..?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 AM
binder

that's a lie. the hesitation isn't from light springs. it's probably from the tune when it switches over to the piggyback.

You should have your controller set to kick in about 2psi or so then it will hold the wastegate closed until your set boost amount. That's the best option like stated above. Although if you are going for 15psi you won't want a spring less than half that pressure. I think your springs are .5 bar not 5psi. Didn't you say with the controller off it was holding around 7-8 psi? If so that's about the spring pressure you want.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
15lb.test

Originally Posted by binder
that's a lie. the hesitation isn't from light springs. it's probably from the tune when it switches over to the piggyback.

You should have your controller set to kick in about 2psi or so then it will hold the wastegate closed until your set boost amount. That's the best option like stated above. Although if you are going for 15psi you won't want a spring less than half that pressure. I think your springs are .5 bar not 5psi. Didn't you say with the controller off it was holding around 7-8 psi? If so that's about the spring pressure you want.
no, they are 5psi springs.. for sure.
nope.. had the controler on 1 not off. then it was at 7-8.. it was a long day... lol so for 14-15 psi tuned .7bar would be correct no?