Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

700+ horsepower, 3 years running strong

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how most of the people upset with VTR are the ones with problem after problem with their cars

Good job VTR.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 PM
zmedic16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
i dont see how that is awful. Everyone put your manpons back in and lets actually have ONE informative FI thread
Double this
Old 05-06-2011, 03:11 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hilarious how the complaints came from the people complaining in the other thread how the F/I section is dead, and you wonder why lmao.

Edit: Sucks i missed the VTR dyno day, maybe next year.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think anyone is upset with VTR, so no need to instigate the melodrama.

Summary
--------
VTR is an expert engine builder. They have cars that can reliably make 700+ whp, though imo this particular example with only 11k miles might have not been the best choice to promote as the pinnacle of long term high horsepower reliability.

VTR has its own trade secrets, which is fine, but imo there was no need to mention that at all in the thread.

VTR does not provide free advice or contributions on the forum, which is fine, time is money, no harm no foul - they do look after their customers.

VTR only tunes the Hydra, which doesn't work on the 5AT, is locked down and supported only by them (or authorized Hydra tuners - please feel free to clarify?), so yeah...

Last edited by rcdash; 05-06-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw somewhere that VTR does cobb (for the GTR) and also Uprev as of recently. Probably just stock block stuff tho.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by djamps
I saw somewhere that VTR does cobb (for the GTR) and also Uprev as of recently. Probably just stock block stuff tho.
They may have certain reflash capabilities for Uprev, but they are not licensed Uprev dealers.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM
norapat01

must be lots of fun trying to get all that power to the ground
Old 05-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Everyone put your manpons back in and lets actually have ONE informative FI thread
I just can't see this in the near future.

I don’t see this section of the forum growing/developing, because of the culture we have here. Shops don’t get involved because of all the drama, and back yard mechanic experts. When some results are published good or bad, the fan clubs jump in and the entire thread goes down the crapper.

Perfect example is the OEM header issue thread I started a while back. Every expert here was saying that the 1.5” diameter OEM headers will flow 600whp. I am not sure why people opt for dual 3” exhausts then…but that is a whole other story.

After I posted the dyno numbers from before and after the headers were swapped..people still say that the headers are not a problem. The difference between the two dyno pulls was almost 100whp, but people refuse to believe it, and just argue about it. So why should a shop post test results when people are just going to ignore it, and say it isn't so….very childish IMO.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 05-06-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:21 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance

I don’t see this section of the forum growing/developing, because of the culture we have here. Shops don’t get involved because of all the drama, and back yard mechanic experts. When some results are published good or bad, the fan clubs jump in and the entire thread goes down the crapper.

Perfect example is the OEM header issue thread I started a while back. Every expert here was saying that the 1.5” diameter OEM headers will flow 600whp. I am not sure why people opt for dual 3” exhausts then…but that is a whole other story.

After I posted the dyno numbers from before and after the headers were swapped..people still say that the headers are not a problem. The difference between the two dyno pulls was almost 100whp, but people refuse to believe it, and just argue about it. So why should a shop post test results when people are just going to ignore it, and say it isn't so….very childish IMO.
OT, but since you brought it up… I think some people debated your claim regarding the factory manifolds because we’ve seen VQ cars make around 600whp with the stock exhaust manifolds on other ST kits… Would a freer flowing exhaust help? Yes, I’m sure it would; but is absolutely required for 500 – 600whp? Nope.

Now, I’m just speaking for myself and I obviously don’t have any experience with the BP ST kit… I’m just speaking on what I’ve recently seen firsthand on a local 350Z with the PL kit.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance

LOL WOW... So much irony and hypocrisy in your post. Pot meet kettle. Can't believe you had the nerve to bring that crap up again here and OT another vendor's thread.

YOU were the one who instigated drama and hostility in that thread when YOU unambiguously insinuated that a rival manufacturer was lying about their dyno results, because YOU refuse to believe their results.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-06-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by zmedic16
is it just me or when you pause the video at a certain point there is a clear pic of the dyno run. As for the motor "specs" its ALWAYS been at their site. this is the problem with us.. we automatically start attacking if things are not posted instantly and not served on a silver platter.

ninja edit.
nice car. i heard this car fired up a while back... sounds even better in person.
Originally Posted by djamps
I don't quite understand what the fuss is bout.
Originally Posted by zmedic16
nonsence... exactly that. thread is heading O.T. lets keep it O.T and ask informative questions such as axles, how does the hydra drive? can you feel its there? does the car "buck" like the utec? or its a smooth transition? if you was to change something or want vinny to had changed anything what would it be?
how confident are you on smashing that pedal at your high boost?. how easy is it to change from 700+whp to 5xx whp? can you do it on the fly? or have to stop and fiddle with the ecu or boost controller? would the hydra ever support e85 or its just straight pump?

INFORMATIVE QUESTIONS..
i dont see how that is awful. Everyone put your manpons back in and lets actually have ONE informative FI thread
Originally Posted by failsafe306
Funny how most of the people upset with VTR are the ones with problem after problem with their cars

Good job VTR.
+1 to all of the above!!! VTR just recently joined and got involved with this forum. Show some patience and give Brandon a chance! Geez...

Some people accuse VTR of being secretive, especially about their motor builds... But when Brandon shows you guys the build spec list for their Stage 2 motor THAT HAS BEEN POSTED ON THEIR WEBSITE FOR YEARS, you seem to ignore the details of that list and continue arguing over minutiae and BS instead ...A perfect example of the FAIL in this community IMO.

If you guys are supposedly so damn interested about how Vinny builds VQ motors, why not discuss some of the components on that build list that differ from other shops and ask some questions like I did???

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
^ 2 things listed on the motor build that stand out to me, but I wanna clarify if I understand correctly...
  • H11 head studs?
  • "L.G.P" Does that mean those pistons are gas ported?
I have seen H11 heads studs mentioned on this forum only a couple times before. There wasn't much forum feedback about it, nor have I seen any other shops discuss them or list them on their VQ motor builds. H11 are stronger than L19 and are more commonly used by the Supra community for their high power builds. H11 head studs might be a key ingredient in VTR's success with their motor builds and a reason why their customers don't seem to experience the head lift issues that seem to be a common and recurring problem with others in this community.

I'm also curious as to whether VTR is using gas ported pistons. If so, I believe they are the only shop/vendor on here that does. I seriously doubt that a lot of shops and forum members on here even know what gas ported pistons are or what they do. If more people did, I doubt that oil blow by issues on built VQ motors would be so common.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-06-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:02 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

+1 to all of the above!!! VTR just recently joined and got involved with this forum. Show some patience and give Brandon a chance! Geez...

Some people accuse VTR of being secretive, especially about their motor builds... But when Brandon shows you guys the build spec list for their Stage 2 motor THAT HAS BEEN POSTED ON THEIR WEBSITE FOR YEARS, you seem to ignore the details of that list and continue arguing over minutiae and BS instead ...A perfect example of the FAIL in this community IMO.

If you guys are supposedly so damn interested about how Vinny builds VQ motors, why not discuss some of the components on that build list that differ from other shops and ask some questions like I did???

I have seen H11 heads studs mentioned on this forum only a couple times before. There wasn't much forum feedback about it, nor have I seen any other shops discuss them or list them on their VQ motor builds. H11 are stronger than L19 and are more commonly used by the Supra community for their high power builds. H11 head studs might be a key ingredient in VTR's success with their motor builds and a reason why their customers don't seem to experience the head lift issues that seem to be a common and recurring problem with others in this community.
I think the L19 solved the head lift issues long time ago

I'm also curious as to whether VTR is using gas ported pistons. If so, I believe they are the only shop/vendor on here that does. I seriously doubt that a lot of shops and forum members on here even know what gas ported pistons are or what they do. If more people did, I doubt that oil blow by issues on built VQ motors would be so common.

Gas porting is an old school type of thinking, usually used with very high compression engine, and you might need a vacuum pump with it to pull the gases from the crankcase.

some people believe it wears cylinders out a lot faster.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:40 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

H11 is an alternative rather than going with the overkill and possible machining issues of g t 1/2 inch oversized headstuds. H11 is nice... But nothing against those with L19s... They have proves their worth for mot vs builds, and yes... Solves headlift, but that's not to st many bubble shops didn't build their engines right back in the days and just blamed it on parts and pussified customers....i guess quality EMS wasn't there yet but still
Old 05-07-2011, 03:35 PM
aln

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
Thanks for positive comments, well to answer rc dash im running at or about 575-590ish on the street, with toyo R888's. The car does not hook obviously till mid rpm range in third, tires warm of course.

We did change over some of the jwt piping as it was restricting us on goal. I do still have some piping to change to obtain more power.

The vehicle made 769hp, however power was limited due to the undersized piping Vinny pointed to in the video. The car is still utilizing it's factory intake manifold, and factory throttle body.

Their are other secrets of the trade that I WILL NOT post on here, if you have any questions about it or the hydra ems you can call VTR yourself and speak to Vin,

I will love to answer any questions anyone has, however please be respectful and considerate. Thanks
how's she to drive?
how many miles do you get out of the 888's?
what made the choice of ems?
what driving style do you have?
what is the best about the car?
whats the worst about the car?
what petrol are you running?
how often do you change oil and what oil do you use?
main area of use? (commute in traffic or highway etc)

... what would you have done different doing this again?

well done for going FI

oh... what is the next mod on your list?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Honda2Nismo

Congrats! It's nice to see others enjoy the fruits of their labor!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Brandon@VTR
Vendor - Former Vendor

Just got a call from Sal who was at Atco raceway today.

Scanned slips and video to come shortly but here was his times, driven by Sal:

10.54 @ 141mph

Laptop never came out, it was around 80+ degrees... no issues what so ever. All passes made today.

Awesome job Sal!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM
rh_334

Originally Posted by Brandon@VTR
10.54 @ 141mph

edit: nvm i missed that post

edit #2: where can we get details/buy that twin disk rps clutch? i didnt see it on your site

Last edited by rh_334; 05-09-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Brandon@VTR
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rh_334

edit: nvm i missed that post

edit #2: where can we get details/buy that twin disk rps clutch? i didnt see it on your site
Shoot me a PM on any inquiries on parts.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM
zmedic16

Vtr ftmw?
aaahhhh the silence......

Last edited by zmedic16; 05-09-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Originally Posted by brandon@vtr
just got a call from sal who was at atco raceway today.

Scanned slips and video to come shortly but here was his times, driven by sal:

10.54 @ 141mph

laptop never came out, it was around 80+ degrees... No issues what so ever. All passes made today.

Awesome job sal!
9's coming soon

Quick Reply: 700+ horsepower, 3 years running strong