Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Does anyone have a link to a complete list...

Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM
kingkai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have a link to a complete list...

First, I've read everything in the sticky section of this forum, any information contained there is in my knowledge base now. That being said; any questions asked here, while seemingly related or similar, are done so in a quest to gain more knowledge and specifics.

Is there a complete list of parts needed to turbo a 350z? While I am not an expert I have a decent amount of information but I can't find anything that sorta gives the minimums of a turbo build aside from buy a kit and viola you're done, which can't be right.

1) Engine management I've seen everything from a piggy back AEM to the Greddy E-manage etc etc... What are the possible systems and benefits? What is a minimum and a recommended system?

2) Fuel System, I've seen a few return style fuel systems with pumps, what kit is recommended for ~8-10 PSI?

3) Other upgrades like Exhaust, what kit is suggested for a twin turbo setup from say GTM? Is there any benefit to the Kinetix intake vs a spacer in a F/I setup?

4) Has anyone tuned on E85? What boost was it capable of on E85, injector size?

5) Are there any local shops in Albuquerque that do tuning on 350z's with TT?

6) Guages?

Goals;

Street drivable - I have more than 1 vehicle so I don't HAVE to DD this car, but the 10 miles to work shouldn't kill it either.

While I dont see much of a point in going over 450WHP, in the future I may rebuild the engine and push it higher, so the ability to upgrade the kit without reinventing the wheel would be nice.

~10k total, self installed - Tuned by a local shop or by my brother (TT-95_6SPD 1995 Supra Turbo Self tuned on E85 @38PSI)

I would also like to drive it on the local track - Sandia Motor Speedway

I don't care much for highway/drag racing

06 - RevUP 6MT - 0 mods
Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
08NismoZ

For just a basic TT setup I would go with the UpRev Osiris reflash. It's pretty cheap and easy to tune with for just a basic setup. I'm not super familiar with the DE motors (boosted HR) but running E85 you would have to go with bigger fuel injectors (more expensive) and most likely twin fuel pump setup, so I would stick with just tuning on 93 octane. You wouldn't need a return fuel line either. I'm running DW 800cc injectors, return fuel line, and a 255lph Walbro fuel pump as my fuel system. There's normally people parting out there TT kits in the marketplace so you should be able to find a basic TT setup plus exhaust for cheap. The only gauge I have is the HKS EVC boost controller so I can run 8.5psi. Hope this answers some of your questions.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also recommend some kind of a/f gauge, oil temp and pressure.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 PM
kingkai

Originally Posted by 08NismoZ
For just a basic TT setup I would go with the UpRev Osiris reflash. It's pretty cheap and easy to tune with for just a basic setup. I'm not super familiar with the DE motors (boosted HR) but running E85 you would have to go with bigger fuel injectors (more expensive) and most likely twin fuel pump setup, so I would stick with just tuning on 93 octane. You wouldn't need a return fuel line either. I'm running DW 800cc injectors, return fuel line, and a 255lph Walbro fuel pump as my fuel system. There's normally people parting out there TT kits in the marketplace so you should be able to find a basic TT setup plus exhaust for cheap. The only gauge I have is the HKS EVC boost controller so I can run 8.5psi. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Excellent thank you for the information on the Osiris, very helpfull!

As for E85, yes it requires a lot more fuel.. 30% or more from my understanding so I agree. I may be on the wrong rabbit trail with E85 anyway, what is the max HP capacity of the stock motor on pump gas? I was thinking something like E85 or C16 would increase the performance capability of the stock motor but it just dawned on me that the rods may not handle it anyway, is this right?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Fuel is not a problem with a stock block, 91 octane pump gas will easily get you past what’s generally accepted as “safe” for a stock VQ35DE block. You don’t need to look into E85 or race gas until you have a built engine. On a stock engine the key is to keep your AFR around 11.5 – 11.8, as long as you have a nice conservative tune your engine should hold up.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

1.) ProEFI, Haltech, and Osiris… I had Osiris when I was NA but when I installed the turbo I upgraded to ProEFI’s Pro48 computer, ProEFI controls my boost and I can monitor everything with the Can gauge (didn’t have to buy any additional external gauges or a boost controller)

2.) You don’t necessarily need a return fuel system; you will however need injectors and a fuel pump… Deatschwerks 600cc Injectors and a Walbro 255LPH fuel pump is what I’m using, a proven route.

3.) Exhaust – for a stock block really any exhaust will do; Intake – You don’t need to touch the factory plenum, you can add a spacer if you’d like but it’ll make a negligible difference…don’t waste your money on any aftermarket plenums.

4.) See previous post

5.) Gauge – AFR and boost are a must… again, if you go with ProEFI you don’t need any aside from their Can gauge (saved myself $400)
Old 05-03-2011, 03:37 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkai
First, I've read everything in the sticky section of this forum, any information contained there is in my knowledge base now. That being said; any questions asked here, while seemingly related or similar, are done so in a quest to gain more knowledge and specifics.

Is there a complete list of parts needed to turbo a 350z? While I am not an expert I have a decent amount of information but I can't find anything that sorta gives the minimums of a turbo build aside from buy a kit and viola you're done, which can't be right.
I don't think you've committed everything in those stickies to your memory yet... However, if you look at a Boosted Performance kit here:
https://my350z.com/forum/members/boo...nce-page3.html
you can see a nice breakdown of the items in the kit. This would meet or exceed all of your goals. You can start researching each component as you go down the list.
The Engine Management is where it turns into a bit of a black box. There are people who swear by each system and a few who curse others, so it's difficult to say.
As for max HP on stock, what you mean to ask is torque and the general consensus is approximately 400 foot pounds. BUT, there are many exceptions to that "rule."
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Boostguru

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
I don't think you've committed everything in those stickies to your memory yet... However, if you look at a Boosted Performance kit here:
https://my350z.com/forum/members/boo...nce-page3.html
you can see a nice breakdown of the items in the kit. This would meet or exceed all of your goals. You can start researching each component as you go down the list.
The Engine Management is where it turns into a bit of a black box. There are people who swear by each system and a few who curse others, so it's difficult to say.
As for max HP on stock, what you mean to ask is torque and the general consensus is approximately 400 foot pounds. BUT, there are many exceptions to that "rule."
+1 to that, im installing the BP kit as we speak
Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Mavs

Originally Posted by kingkai
Piggy back question... I have read numerious posts about the stock block and things that seem to fail the quickest (cams, rods, springs and a couple other things). Are there any other things (bolt-ons i guess) that would help as well? (headers, test pipes, y pipe, etc.)
Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 AM
kingkai

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your help!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavs
Piggy back question... I have read numerious posts about the stock block and things that seem to fail the quickest (cams, rods, springs and a couple other things). Are there any other things (bolt-ons i guess) that would help as well? (headers, test pipes, y pipe, etc.)
where did you read that cams fail the quickest on these cars?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:24 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by Barnabas
where did you read that cams fail the quickest on these cars?
I would assume the S&R "Broken HR cam" Thread