Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

LAST CALL! You're Invited: Supercharger Shootout Dec. 13/15

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 08:27 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default You're Invited: Supercharger Shootout Dec. 13/15

Sport Z Magazine is conducting a supercharger shootout Dec. 13/15 in Southern California among the three superchargers currently available for the 350Z. Enthusiasts are invited and encouraged to attend. Details are below.

*CARS & PARTICIPANTS*
ATI Procharger 350Z: Roger Wright (car sitter: Sandy Lirag)
Stillen Supercharged 350Z: Sam Korkis
Vortech Supercharged 350Z: Razz Hairapatian
Stock 350Z (baseline): Ted Ngo

*SPORT Z MAGAZINE ATTENDEES*
Carl Merritt: Driver/Writer/Videographer/dyno operator
Yuichi Kurosawa (Strictly Z): Writer/Photographer/Assistant
Jeff Wisener: Writer/Photographer/Assistant

*AUTOCROSS*
Date: Saturday, Dec. 13
Time: 9 a.m. (drivers meeting at 8 a.m.)
Directions: http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/sites/
Details: Events are open to the public at no charge however to enter the pit area you must sign a release and waiver form at the entry gate. Anyone under the age of 18 will be required to have a witnessed Minor Waiver form signed by the legal parents/guardians. You will be given a wristband which must be worn at all times. There is no seating provided so bring a chair.

*DRAG STRIP*
Date: Saturday, Dec. 13
Time: ~2 p.m. (caravanning immediately following autocross)
Directions: Take 5 to PALOMAR AIRPORT RD., Exit and go EAST on Palomar Airport Rd. Take a LEFT on BUSINESS PARK DRIVE, then go LEFT at stoplight into the TRACK ENTRANCE (Poinsettia Ave)
http://carlsbadrags.tripod.com/home/id22.html)
Details: Street Drags & Test n Tune EVERY SATURDAY, Gates open at 11:00A.M., We race from 4 to 6 hours, depending on car count, General admission-$15 Race entry-$10, General info and directions760) 727-1171, Drag Strip info760) 480-8369, Track lease info760) 727-4390

*DYNO*
Date: Monday, Dec. 15
Time: 8 a.m.
Directions: 3176 Airway Ave, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed...+CA&country=us
Details: Refreshments for all attendees (no, not beer). Free. Phone:866-250-5542

Anyone that has questions or concerns, please PM me and I will do my best to address those issues. Participants, if you have any questions or concerns be sure to let me know. We appreciate your participation and want to make this an enjoyable event for you. Most of all, lets have fun!

Jeff - zland

Last edited by zland; 12-10-2003 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Mikestro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds sooo bad ***!!! I am totally there. Item of note, I have been to Carlsbad raceway, if you want to race, you will need a DOT approved helmet.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:15 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I just got pm'ed by a board member that might fly in all the way from Canada to see the comparision. Now that is what I call a guy that loves 350Z's.

He must really be in the market for a SC?

Anyone else thinking of coming from far away?

Jeff - zland
Old 12-05-2003, 09:36 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any shot at a nice long video of the best action of the events? bit of a trip for me to come from the east coast. but Id love to see how it goes.

maybe we could convince vic to upload the video to the server even.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default Dec. 13

I will be at Mossy Oceanside getting my Nismo wheels and racetrack tires, along with titanium pedals (wider and better for heal and toeing), a sytnthetic oil change and a new dipstick (don't ask) on Dec. 13.

I offered up my car as a normally aspirated test car for the shootout and got a bunch of BS that added up to "NO, we are not interested." Since I will be in the neigborhood that day, I might show up. But only if I can drive. Watching others drive is boring as hell.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Jim Jones; 12-05-2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:57 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Dec. 13

Originally posted by Jim Jones
I will be at Mossy Oceanside getting my Nismo wheels and racetrack tires, along with titanium pedals (wider and better for heal and toeing), a sytnthetic oil change and a new dipstick (don't ask) on Dec. 13.

I offered up my car as a normally aspirated test car for the shootout and got a bunch of BS that added up to "NO, we are not interested." Since I will be in the neigborhood that day, I might show up. But only if I can drive. Watching others drive is boring as hell.

Have a nice day.
You got a pm....Jeff
Old 12-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default Thanks for the PM

I will wait to receive my copy of Sport Z Magazine to arrive in the mail. Then I will read all about the supercharger shoot out.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:33 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Thanks for the PM

I will wait to receive my copy of Sport Z Magazine to arrive in the mail. Then I will read all about the supercharger shoot out.
It looks like you are strongly considering the Greddy TT. You already have one of the top NA cars around and this is an entirely new level. I wish you the best of luck if you do it and would love to check it out.

If you do install the Greddy TT, do you think it will be ready to go in time for the Mossy Nissan March 5th track day we are at Willow springs?

Jeff - zland
Old 12-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default Don't know yet about 3/5/04

I'm not sure which way I am going with the car yet. I can't wait to get the 3.9 final drive ratio (EVO ring and pinion). This should improve acceleration significantly.

I still may go supercharger. ATI is out for blowing up engines. Stillen is out for the aftermarket hood bulge. That leaves Vortech. Does anyone know the cost of the Vortech unit?

Greddy TT/intercooler looks good, but expensive. I am going to finish the NA mods (3.9, maybe EVO throttle body, Nismo 18" 5-spoke silver wheels with competition tires for track use only, and a short shift kit).

Then I am going to wait and see how Greddy TT and Vortech SC work out for others. Will keep options open for other makers of TT and SC when they appear. Have fun at the supercharger shoot out. I just can't stand watching others drive. I need to get out on the track myself. I am going to Buttonwillow Raceway on Dec. 20 for the performance driving clinic, and will be doing timed 1/4 miles soon.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:12 AM
VR3

Is there any way someone can video tape all this ? Maybe some form of DVD can be made?

Look forward to the review!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:44 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I know Carl had a video camera in the Z's when they tested the NISMO S and NISMO R Z's. I will e-mail Carl an confirm if he is or is not video tapiing his test drives.

BTW, go to the SportZ webpage and check out the video footage of him driving the Z's mentioned above on the Willow springs track.

Jeff - zland
Old 12-08-2003, 10:39 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by VR3
Is there any way someone can video tape all this ? Maybe some form of DVD can be made? Look forward to the review!
Here is what Carl, our staff test driver e-mailed me in response to your question:

Yes, everything will be taped like before (camera pinned under the passenger headrest...which means I should ask, any of these cars have aftermarket seats?). The videos will get posted when Dave feels apropriate (usually timed with that issue hitting the mail).

-c
Old 12-08-2003, 11:55 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Thanks for the PM

The Winter 2003 issue went out in the mail about a week ago. From the feedback I'm receiving, Santa traffic is a big problem this year. Boo, Hiss...

Bob
Old 12-08-2003, 12:00 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by zland
Here is what Carl, our staff test driver e-mailed me in response to your question:

Yes, everything will be taped like before (camera pinned under the passenger headrest...which means I should ask, any of these cars have aftermarket seats?). The videos will get posted when Dave feels apropriate (usually timed with that issue hitting the mail).

-c
Carl, you are correct. The video will be available about two weeks in advance of the Spring 2004 issue.

Bob
Old 12-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default Haven't received Winter issue yet

And I don't have my January issue of Road & Track yet. It usually comes in the first few days of the month before the issue date. Post office must be busy.

Last edited by Jim Jones; 12-09-2003 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:12 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Haven't received Winter issue yet

And I don't have my January issue of Road & Track yet. I usually comes in the first few days of the month before the issue date. Post office must be busy.
Jim (everyone), Sport Z winter issue went out in the mail a week ago and Santa traffic is expected. It'll be worth the wait.

Sport Z has increased its page count to 64 pages (from 56) and, as promised by me, more 350Z stuff.

Bob

Last edited by publisher; 12-09-2003 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:06 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I just got my newest issue (winter 2003) of SportZ mag. Hopefully all of you will get yours soon. FYI, I live in Oceaside ca.

Jeff
Old 12-09-2003, 12:16 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by zland
I just got my newest issue (winter 2003) of SportZ mag. Hopefully all of you will get yours soon. FYI, I live in Oceaside ca.

Jeff
Hey Jeff >> I thought all Sport Z writers received their issue via Santa Express.

Bob
Old 12-09-2003, 01:34 PM
pices312

Hey Bob,
I loved the last issue of SportsZ mag, can't wait for the Winter issue.
So, when are you and the staff coming East to give us a taste of what California gets. There are a lot of Zcars nuts out here too!
BTW I am now using the handle Pices312 instead of Archduke.
Have a really good Holiday and a profitable New Year.
Rich Uckmann
Old 12-09-2003, 02:06 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by pices312
Hey Bob,
I loved the last issue of SportsZ mag, can't wait for the Winter issue.
So, when are you and the staff coming East to give us a taste of what California gets. There are a lot of Zcars nuts out here too!
BTW I am now using the handle Pices312 instead of Archduke.
Have a really good Holiday and a profitable New Year.
Rich Uckmann
Hey Rich, very good to hear from you again -- Newbie I see on my350z.com.

I was invited to the East Coast Z Association meet in West Chester, PA on October 25, 2003 and had a blast. ECZA and Zchickz.com set it up and the event was a smash (a little about it in our Winter 2003 issue).

There will be a new event in North Carolina next spring and Art and I plan to attend (McDuck is setting it up). The west coast does get a lot of coverage but we love you guys back east as well. We have to be a bit market driven but we try to spread our love evenly (did I say that?).

Have no fear Z'er formerly know as Archduke, Winter 2003 is on the way. It'll be worth the wait. BTW, what does profitable mean? Not sure I'm familiar with that word.

Happy Holidays Rich and please let me know what you think of the Winter 2003 issue.

Bob

Last edited by publisher; 12-09-2003 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: LAST CALL! You're Invited: Supercharger Shootout Dec. 13/15