Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

external wastegate conversion... is it possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011 | 06:38 AM
phantom617

Default external wastegate conversion... is it possible

I picked up a JWT 530BB twin turbo kit for my G35 and I'd like to convert the internal wastegate setup on the stock turbos to externals with 40mm Synapse Engineering synchronic units. Was wondering if anyone has done something like this before and what would be required

thanks in advance guys
Old 05-27-2011 | 07:10 AM
deanfootlong

yes it can be done. you'd have to remove the wg actuator and weld the flapper door shut and then create a hole on the manifold before the turbo to tap in to and weld a flange on for an external wastegate.

however, i propose a new question; why do you feel its necessary?
Old 05-27-2011 | 07:53 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet
Premier Member

Also you might want to consider a different wastegate, those Synapse wastegates are huge though they look pretty cool.
Old 05-27-2011 | 08:55 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by deanfootlong
yes it can be done. you'd have to remove the wg actuator and weld the flapper door shut and then create a hole on the manifold before the turbo to tap in to and weld a flange on for an external wastegate.

however, i propose a new question; why do you feel its necessary?
These turbos have some creep / instability due to restrictive internal wastegates and the fact they are a bit undersized for the VQ. External WG's will resolve much of that.
Old 05-27-2011 | 09:18 AM
phantom617

Originally Posted by djamps
These turbos have some creep / instability due to restrictive internal wastegates and the fact they are a bit undersized for the VQ. External WG's will resolve much of that.

Thanks I was hoping someone would be able to explain my reason for this in a technical way we could all understand without me sounding like an idiot
Old 05-27-2011 | 09:21 AM
phantom617

Originally Posted by dikspiel
Also you might want to consider a different wastegate, those Synapse wastegates are huge though they look pretty cool.
thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll have to see if its gonna fit. I really wanna use this instead of any of the others out there based on the features and quality of it
Old 05-28-2011 | 10:54 AM
binder

how different can wastegates be based on features? I mean, boost=specific level=open

I'm not seeing them being that much different. So many people are tried and true with the way smaller TiAl wastegates it would be easier to do that if you have trouble fitting a huge wastegate in the tiny amount of space we have under the car.

i def. would use external wastegates though. Good decision.
Old 05-28-2011 | 11:07 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet
Premier Member

The synapse wastegate allows you to adjust the preload
Old 05-28-2011 | 11:18 AM
binder

Originally Posted by dikspiel
The synapse wastegate allows you to adjust the preload
boost controller is so much easier to adjust than lifting a car, climbing under it and trying to estimate how much preload you need then doing that process over and over until it's set right.

Plus it's 100$ more than a tial. I'd rather just get the tial with an easy to adjust electronic boost controller.
Old 06-08-2011 | 11:23 AM
phantom617

easy to set the preload while its on the lift prior to getting it tuned. Once its set I won't be tempted to play with it and grenade my motor using an EBC like so many others have done in the past. I'd rather set it and forget it
Old 06-08-2011 | 04:03 PM
binder

Originally Posted by phantom617
easy to set the preload while its on the lift prior to getting it tuned. Once its set I won't be tempted to play with it and grenade my motor using an EBC like so many others have done in the past. I'd rather set it and forget it
How do you know it will be set to the correct psi on the first try? It's annoying to have to climb under the car during a dyno session to change something with the wastegate if it's not set at the proper pressure.
Old 06-10-2011 | 05:00 AM
rbsileighty

You might try porting the stock WG's in the housings... pretty common mod on old stock turbo cars running increased boost (Subaru, Mitsu etc). Obviously don't make the opening bigger than the flapper but if the creep is minor you might be able to keep them internally gated.
Old 06-10-2011 | 05:50 AM
binder

Originally Posted by rbsileighty
You might try porting the stock WG's in the housings... pretty common mod on old stock turbo cars running increased boost (Subaru, Mitsu etc). Obviously don't make the opening bigger than the flapper but if the creep is minor you might be able to keep them internally gated.
this is a great idea! I never thought of this (since i deal with all externally gated systems) but my room mate has an internal gate and we were going to convert it. I'll try this first.

where the F is that "thanks" button on here cause you deserve some thanks for this!
Old 06-10-2011 | 08:55 AM
TwoFiveBar

---

Last edited by TwoFiveBar; 03-09-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-10-2011 | 11:24 AM
binder

Originally Posted by TwoFiveBar
Good point rbsileighty. Binder, If you end up porting your roommates turbo, make sure to pay attention the transition from the turbine inlet to the flapper. Not just the flapper diameter. On small turbine housing and small a/r garretts and other turbos, the transition can be rough and angular. Smoothing it out greatly helps reduce creep.
Thanks

I do porting on heads so i'll do it with similar chambfer that i use for heads to help transition flow and reduce turbulance.
Old 06-10-2011 | 11:55 AM
phantom617

not even gonna bother tampering with the turbos at this point. I'll run the kit the way it is or sell it. I'd rather have the twin turbo kit Sasha is developing and just buy one brand new from him when its ready this winter with the biggest pair of turbos I can shoehorn into the bottom of the car and be done with it. Build the motor to handle it and just enjoy whatever power I get out of it that way