Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Help!! My SC'd Z is cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 AM
adittus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! My SC'd Z is cutting out.

So i was driving my Z with the new Stillen SC i put on it for about 2 months. It ran like a champ. Then Sunday I was running numerous errands and at a stop light it decided it didnt want to take off anymore. It would drive but as soon as i would give it gas it would just lag out and sputter with a kind of backfire sound. I made it to a parking lot where i let it cool. It was about 92 out that day and i had been driving it hard for like 2 hours. I drove it home but at very low rpm's. When i kicked it down it would lag and sputter. I let it sit overnight and now it runs perfectly fine again. Any suggestions?????

P.S. The temp guage remained in the middle like it had all day.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your R-tarded, 2hr driving it hard in a hot day,

Next time check stuff for leaks, oil quality, clamps tight? brofre you drive it again.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may have melted your cats. Get it to whoever installed it and have it inspected. Avoid driving it if possible, your engine could go pop any second now, if it hasn't already.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 AM
adittus

Well there arent any leaks and all hose clamps are good and just had fluids changed when i put the SC on. So are you saying you cant drive a Z with a supercharger for more than an hour on a hot day? It wasnt like i was racing. Just having some fun in the streets.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 AM
adittus

DJamps...I got it in my garage and called the installer over. He hooked up the computer and it didnt give any codes at all. He inspected everything and it was all good to go. I drove it to work this morning and its running perfect again without any noises or hiccups. Just trying to figure out what would have caused this. The temp guage was in normal range.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe you should consider having it retuned,
Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 AM
adittus

The Stage 3 Stillen computer is not tuneable. From what i understand.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 AM
djamps

Well that's the same way my boy's vortech G behaved (intermittent as well) when his cats started to go. Eventually they clogged and his engine blew. Just sayin.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 AM
psychoballistic

I have heard of the cats going bad as well...

Have you checked your plugs yet also? Sometimes you can get alot of information from the plugs, how they look, is there oil, are they burned up, is a tip missing, etc... Start with the small things to check first.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM
adittus

Yeah Djamps. I appreciate the input. I am going to look into that further. Especially since now when i drove it at lunch and got on it, to see how it acted, it stutters at quick acceleration. Damn!! Hope i can pinpoint this issue.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
adittus

Thanks psychoballistic, Im going to pull them out tonight and look and probably just replace them.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM
k6750gsxr

What year z ? Is the old stilled kit or the new one with vortech blower ?

Previous post about cats is plausible for sure. If your running stock exhaust the cats could be over heating enough to crack if your egt's are getting high. When the guts crack and come out the can clog if no where to go.

Also you could have had a injector hanging or malfunctioning. If its the older stilled you have that added injector right ? If a car is tuned based on additional fuel being added you could have leaned out if it was not working properly.

Do you have a egt or a/f gauge ?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM
adittus

gsxr,

Its an 06 and yes it is the older stillen with the 7th injector. However, Im running Greddy EVO 2 exhausts which are huge! So im definitally not inhibiting exhaust. I actually was told that im not creating enough backpressure with those for the SC to work at its maximum. The only added guage is a psi guage and an extra oil pressure. No air to fuel or egt.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
psychoballistic

Get an A/F for sure asap... Especially if your leaning out, you will want to know... Any time there is a leniency in boost, thats where big problems like "BOOM!" can happen.

Quick thought, if you have Cats still, and your cats are the issue, you should be able to see the effects on any OBDII computer for the pre and post cat bank sensors. Just one other thought to prevent having to possibly pull the cats un-necessarily.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well its kinda hard to do a diag over the internet but i would guess the cats are dying.I had the stillen stage 4 for almost 4 years but got lucky and never had a problem like this.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 PM
adittus

So if its heat related. What if you lived in Southern texas or arizona where it gets 110+ frequently and you were stuck in traffic on the interstate. Would you fry your cats repeatedly? Im not trying to be a smart-*** on this whatsover. Just trying to figure out the heat affect on SC'd cars.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
djamps

Any F/I setup with cats (especially stock cats or 'HFC') is prone to cat failure.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Nothing to add yet...
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adittus
So if its heat related. What if you lived in Southern texas or arizona where it gets 110+ frequently and you were stuck in traffic on the interstate. Would you fry your cats repeatedly? Im not trying to be a smart-*** on this whatsover. Just trying to figure out the heat affect on SC'd cars.
Sorry bro as i have a lot of exp with the stillen and have given a ton of advice and info i have never heard of this before.I live in the mid-a and we do get 100 plus here once in awhile plus tons of humididy....i still never exp something like this.I wish i had something to help you out.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 AM
ESP350Z

+ 1 to checking the plugs. Have you ever dynod the car with a wideband, just curious

Quick Reply: Help!! My SC'd Z is cutting out.