Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another GTM Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by f150intally
Thanks for your support.
Lol I'm not going to sugar coat it. 500whp is 500whp. Gl with it, but not the route I would take, nor the route im taking.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 PM
f150intally

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Lol I'm not going to sugar coat it. 500whp is 500whp. Gl with it, but not the route I would take, nor the route im taking.
I'm not asking you to sugar coat anything. If you don't have anything valuable to add to my thread, find another thread to crap on. My decision was made and order placed before I posted this thread so why would you tell someone in that position that you would not take that route? Do you have any first hand experience with the vendor you are attacking? I'm confused because in this post you were strongly supportive of GTM:

Originally Posted by Resmarted
I'm interested to see how the IPT trans holds; TOOMNYMODS (from the titan scene) had a lot of problems with IPT. His tranny failed rather quickly (albeit in a much bigger heavier truck, it still didn't do the job that IPT claimed it would).
I'd rather hand my tranny over to gtm, because they actually give a rats a** about their customers, and they state that the tranny when built can handle 600whp without falter.
WTF? I'm very thorough in my research when spending lots of money like this. I research things more than the average person and made my decision on my relationship developed with the vendor, the shop doing the install and their recommendations, the feedback received on this GTM HR Kit from searching every Nissan forum I could find, and most importantly, first hand observations and riding in a car that had this kit. My good friend has this exact kit on the same year model car, has had it installed since 2009 and has no problems whatsoever. It fits and works perfectly and is a blast to drive.

It seems the GTM is the easiest, most reliable route to 500whp if you are wanting a turbo forced induction application. And it also seems they have the best supercharged application on the market at this time as well.

Thanks.
-Jay

Last edited by f150intally; 08-12-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

They have A specific supercharger application in the HKS unit which very few people have. I've seen GTM kits and they look good but to call it the most reliable... that can be left to interpretation and is most certainly a relative statement. APS, JWT, and Greddy all make kits that support 500Hwhp easily. What shop is doing the build? Judging by your screen name your in Tallahassee and the closest place I'd consider having it installed is no longer a GTM vendor.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:09 AM
f150intally

Thanks for the input. Reliable probably isnt the best terminology. But, there are more limited options for HR and I didn't feel too excited about the Greddy kit since Greddy recently went through a chapter 11 bankruptcy and their support leaves a lot to be desired. I have read that their oil lines are unreliable...so much so that Forged produced a kit to replace them.

Z1 Motorsports in Carollton GA is doing the build. They are the same distance as the other big shop in the ATL area.

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
They have A specific supercharger application in the HKS unit which very few people have. I've seen GTM kits and they look good but to call it the most reliable... that can be left to interpretation and is most certainly a relative statement. APS, JWT, and Greddy all make kits that support 500Hwhp easily. What shop is doing the build? Judging by your screen name your in Tallahassee and the closest place I'd consider having it installed is no longer a GTM vendor.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input. Reliable probably isnt the best terminology. But, there are more limited options for HR and I didn't feel too excited about the Greddy kit since Greddy recently went through a chapter 11 bankruptcy and their support leaves a lot to be desired. I have read that their oil lines are unreliable...so much so that Forged produced a kit to replace them.

Z1 Motorsports in Carollton GA is doing the build. They are the same distance as the other big shop in the ATL area.
Your info is dated, Greddy is fine now, they are actually producing more than most other JDM companies at the moment. The oil lines were not the greatest, but the same could be said for others. The stainless lines in my new kit aren't too bad.

People are trying to help you and you are just ignorant.

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 08-13-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$hit just got real in here, wow
Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 AM
f150intally

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x

People are trying to help you and you are just ignorant.
Enlighten me...how was Resmarted's post helpful to me? I am not here for the drama from senior members, just to post my experiences with the kit, the shop doing the install, and the after effect.

It is Ignorant for you to call me ignorant...you know nothing about me.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 AM
f150intally

At the end of the day, both kits will be fine- I chose the GTM. I make one error on commenting on reliability and the forum kings jump on it.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I totally missed that you had a HR... a lot of the senior guys have seen GTM's past transgressions threads.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At the end of the day, both kits will be fine- I chose the GTM. I make one error on commenting on reliability and the forum kings jump on it.
You seem like a nice level headed guy. I know you have done your research but you just have to understand GTM and Sam dont have the best reputation here, take it from someone who has dealt with that man personally, and been told to fawk off. I still have negative feelings towards him and believe that when his cars/motors hit the fan his finger pointing will begin.

The moment you mention you pick a GTM kit and mention that "Sam is great to work with", most wont look past that and think you are a fool.

The setup seems solid, I hope it works out well for you. Even though I highly dislike GTM and Sam, I have installed a GTM S/C on a 370 for a friend, and thought the quality was very good. So far that car is running well. I also have a friend with a TT G37 - done at GTM, my friend lives here in MD. That car has held up at 530whp, for almost 20K miles now. Regardless of the past, he seems to have gotten his $hit (more) together.

Best of luck to you and dont take the harsh criticisms personally.

edit-dont run higher IMO than 500 or low 500's. My friend has a 612whp on stock block dyno, and Sam of course posts it everywhere as it being fine to run that power on stock block, then tells my friend to never run it at that setting. Same with other customers. Just a small exmaple of the advertising BS that occurs a lot on these forums. Then you have idiots with no prior experience thinking and posting that 600+whp is ok on a stock block....

Last edited by Alberto; 08-13-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 08-13-2011, 08:25 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread makes me feel safe to turn up the boost on my car.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
This thread makes me feel safe to turn up the boost on my car.
Why as you never drive it
Old 08-13-2011, 09:32 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Why as you never drive it
I just want to put down 520WHP on my stock block once, so I can brag about it. =)
Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 PM
f150intally

Thank you for your respectful post. I have had a great experience with Sam so far. He has done everything he said he would so I'm satisfied. I don't think I take the criticisms personally but being called ignorant by someone who doesn't even know me is ludicrous. I wasn't saying the Greddy kit is trash just expressing why I didn't want it. BTW, bankruptcy was September of 2008, not even three years ago. I ran multiple Greddy/Trust parts on my boosted sr20 240sx with great success. But I am a fan of Garrett GT Series turbos that use ball bearings as opposed to journal bearings.

Now, can we please get back on topic... I drop the car of next Friday at Z1 and I'm pumped.

Originally Posted by Alberto
You seem like a nice level headed guy. I know you have done your research but you just have to understand GTM and Sam dont have the best reputation here, take it from someone who has dealt with that man personally, and been told to fawk off. I still have negative feelings towards him and believe that when his cars/motors hit the fan his finger pointing will begin.

The moment you mention you pick a GTM kit and mention that "Sam is great to work with", most wont look past that and think you are a fool.

The setup seems solid, I hope it works out well for you. Even though I highly dislike GTM and Sam, I have installed a GTM S/C on a 370 for a friend, and thought the quality was very good. So far that car is running well. I also have a friend with a TT G37 - done at GTM, my friend lives here in MD. That car has held up at 530whp, for almost 20K miles now. Regardless of the past, he seems to have gotten his $hit (more) together.

Best of luck to you and dont take the harsh criticisms personally.

edit-dont run higher IMO than 500 or low 500's. My friend has a 612whp on stock block dyno, and Sam of course posts it everywhere as it being fine to run that power on stock block, then tells my friend to never run it at that setting. Same with other customers. Just a small exmaple of the advertising BS that occurs a lot on these forums. Then you have idiots with no prior experience thinking and posting that 600+whp is ok on a stock block....

Last edited by f150intally; 08-13-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:29 PM
f150intally

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
I totally missed that you had a HR... a lot of the senior guys have seen GTM's past transgressions threads.
no problem, more limited options on the HR motor... If I was running DE I really like the looks of that Momentum kit and would've probably tackled that install but then would've been significantly prohibited by the stock block. Just for reference, not saying I know all by any stretch but this is my third boosted car personally and have helped build and install all sorts of boosted setups. My best friend was the first person to break 600whp with a Precision SC61 on a B18 (1.8 Liter) Honda Civic. It was a beast but sucked at Drag racing... from a roll it was ridiculous. Another good friend of mine swapped an SR20DET (stock block with built head) into a 93 rx-7 and made 537whp and ran 10.34et at Moroso. It was called the SRX and was featured in Modified Magazine.

Last edited by f150intally; 08-13-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 PM
f150intally

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I just want to put down 520WHP on my stock block once, so I can brag about it. =)
Seems like every time I talk to John Parham from Z1 he is on the dyno tuning an HR motor to the sum of 520-530whp. I think they have installed 14 or 15 of the GTM kits in the last year and have had great success with them.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 PM
jeffie7

Seems like every time I talk to John Parham from Z1 he is on the dyno tuning an HR motor to the sum of 520-530whp. I think they have installed 14 or 15 of the GTM kits in the last year and have had great success with them.
I could also make that kind of power with my car if I wanted to but I choose not to.
As I said before, I'll do one run and hit 500WHP so I can post up the #s.........

For me it's not about what power my car can make but rather the power I'll run the car all the time. There's no such thing as A boost and B boost settings for me.

For the people running 520-530WHP is that their everyday boost settings? How many miles have they been running it at 500WHP+?

Last edited by jeffie7; 08-13-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I was just stating that I wouldn't trust gtm for what they act out to be. So instead of getting worked up about it, just be aware.
Look at it this way, would you rather your friends tell you "dude don't eat that chicken you just bought, jack ate some and got sick" or "dude that chicken is BAWSS, eat it ALL" when your friends knew jack got sick.
And from what I can tell the greddy kit is probably the most versatile and well rounded kit you can buy. It is reliable, popular, affordable (compared to other kits), can make some real serious power, spools pretty well and pretty obtainable, im sure there are a few members on here who would agree .
Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 AM
f150intally

I don't imagine people flog the cars at high boost settings all the time if they have a stock block. Most of my driving on the street will be at the wastegate spring pressure. I will up the boost occasionally on the street for fun and when I go to the track. I don't think its too smart to do the majority of driving at high boost with a stock block. The car is not my DD but I look forward to driving it in the fall and spring quite a bit when temps are more favorable.

I do want to add that Sam was very informative with me when asking about stock block limits. He said although capable of higher horsepower, he suggests to keep the car around 500-520 max but even at that level things such as driving habits and abusive owners will destroy a car. Actually, much less that 500whp will destroy a stock block if you are overly abusive. I think you have to apply common sense when owning projects like this. I won't build until I am forced to.

Last edited by f150intally; 08-14-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Another GTM Install