Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sport Z Supercharger Shootout - Done!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 09:01 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob/zland/all at SportZ...

I for one appreciate the effort your making and am with you on this. It is simply good business sense.

Some advice, tho.... based on what we're seeing with this and with the prior Exhaust shootout article... from now on, don't announce when the test will occur or, at least don't make it open to the public.

Simply gather the resource quietly, conduct the test, then BAM surprise us with the article. It seems the big issue people are having is how public the information was leading up to the test and now the tight lid on results.

I think this approach will serve you better. Give us a teaser in the back of the issue. If someone sneaks out and gets some "spy" pics or info to leak here... that's fine. It's not official and happens to the bigger magazines all the time. The point is, they don't post stuff in advance even when this happens.

Just my .02... keep up the good work!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:39 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

mcduck & others:

Thanks for your positive suggestions and taking a realistic view of the situation. The bottom line is the staff at SportZ loves Z's and we hope we can give all Z owners articles that meet your needs.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2003, 09:49 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I support these guys 100% and all the kik *** work they do and info they compile for our community. Much thanks, appreciation, and gratefulness for what these people accomplish in the shadow of the stereotypical my350z ranters. I value that, and look foward to your issues!

--justin
Old 12-16-2003, 09:50 AM
slay2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mikestro
1/4 mile, all three did 13.4 to 13.6 (this is hearsay, ie. me asking other people there what times people were busting out) while using one common driver for all cars. Stock Z's did 14.3 and 14.4. at 97 or 98MPH. Then the guy who brought the Z with the Procharger decided to drive one himself and busted out a 13.1. I don't know the trap speed. He did mention that he put a can of octane boost in the car. Don't know if the other cars had the same, or if it made any difference. 1/4 mile stuff was rushed since it was at the end of the day and cars didn't have a chance to cool down between runs. The bling bling 19" rims were hurting the 1/4 mile a little for sure. All the supercharged Z's had 19" rims.

I'm sure the magazine will have a more comprehensive and scientific analysis for the hard to please types
Finally. Thank you, that's all I wanted to know. Thanks to SportZ for making themselves look like jackasses. I agree 100% with McDuck here, if you're not gonna post the results, don't post about the god damn shootouts until you release the mag.

Thanks Mikestro.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:55 AM
weslutes

I don't see the need to rag on the company for trying to squeeze every last penny they can get out of us enthusiasts on articles that have already been released,tested,dynoed,and posted here in this forum.I've seen plenty ATI dynos,a Stillen dyno,and recently a Vortec dyno.For a perfect evaluation,all the cars need to have exactly the same parts other than the SC.I'm wondering if every car had the same boost,suspention, exhaust, and quality of tires.I don't think any octane boosters should have been allowed.Let these guys milk it, it's not like they have the secret of life.3 months for autoXing results is nothing,I waited 4 months for my rims.I bet it'll be worth the wait.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:56 AM
350trackz

Ok zland (Jeff), let me phase a question this way ... based on your underlying desire to get the FI (like me) and after all the research you have done including this shootout, WHICH FI SYTEM ARE YOU LEANING TOWARDS ?

Also, I don't agree with the "wait 3 months" approach ... I agree with McDuck. Advertise to a FEW, test quietly, and use the test as a selling point at the tinme of release. I'll already have FI by the time this comes out. You could have also mentioned EARLY ON, that the results will be posted in the March issue. That would have at least SET THE EXPECTATION.

Not hating here or anything, I commend SportZ and Jeff for your efforts.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:23 AM
AxionF117

are pics posted from this event?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:25 AM
fluidz

Default zland

Originally posted by zimbo
Well I guess I misunderstood. You see, based on the way the event was announced, publicized, and advertised on this forum I assumed it was more of a community thing than a magazine secret.

When Car & Driver or MotorTrend does a car review or a shootout, they use their own track, they procure the cars themselves without having to beg on an open forum, and they certainly don't invite the public to attend. In short, they keep their big mouths shut about it until the article is about to be released. In my mind, this event went down WAAYY differently than that.

If you're going to swear everyone to secrecy (according to Stillen), then keep the WHOLE THING a secret. Community is a two-way street.

--Steve
NM

Last edited by fluidz; 12-16-2003 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:33 AM
fluidz

Default wow

I was there for the autocross and the 1/4 mile stuff. It certainly isn't against the rules for me to say what I observed. If Sport Z magazine wanted data taken in secrecy, they could rent out a track for the day like the big magazines do.

1/4 mile, all three did 13.4 to 13.6 (this is hearsay, ie. me asking other people there what times people were busting out) while using one common driver for all cars. Stock Z's did 14.3 and 14.4. at 97 or 98MPH. Then the guy who brought the Z with the Procharger decided to drive one himself and busted out a 13.1. I don't know the trap speed. He did mention that he put a can of octane boost in the car. Don't know if the other cars had the same, or if it made any difference. 1/4 mile stuff was rushed since it was at the end of the day and cars didn't have a chance to cool down between runs. The bling bling 19" rims were hurting the 1/4 mile a little for sure. All the supercharged Z's had 19" rims.
ouch shitty 1/4 times for all that money. Your info my freind truly must be hearsay.........i run 13.241 and thats with only a 55 hit of NOS. I would expect a car with 130 HP increase to run deep into the 12's at over 110mph. Anything less is just SHITTY.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:34 AM
mpowers

I feel Sport Z should be thanked for bringing the magazine back and doing a much better job than ever before. And they did it with thier own monies. I can also say I am glad they ask for community involvement. So act like you own a Z not a Mustang!
Kudos to Sport Z!
Old 12-16-2003, 10:45 AM
ravaz

Default Re: wow

Originally posted by fluidz
ouch shitty 1/4 times for all that money. Your info my freind truly must be hearsay.........i run 13.241 and thats with only a 55 hit of NOS. I would expect a car with 130 HP increase to run deep into the 12's at over 110mph. Anything less is just SHITTY.
You are a moron, and that's all I'm going to say.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Mikestro

>>ouch shitty 1/4 times for all that money.

heavy 19" rims and suspension/tires not optimized for 1/4 mile and that's what they got. I heard some of the announcements first hand over the intercom system that was there. If other people that were there care to add anything, I welcome it. I can tell you first hand also that from 3 stock Zs and a total of 15+ runs, quickest was 14.3.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:27 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by 350trackz
Ok zland (Jeff), let me phase a question this way ... based on your underlying desire to get the FI (like me) and after all the research you have done including this shootout, WHICH FI SYTEM ARE YOU LEANING TOWARDS ?
Not hating here or anything, I commend SportZ and Jeff for your efforts.
I do really feel for all of you guys that are in the market for FI and specifically a SC. I wish I could say more at this point but I cant and that is the policy of all magazines is not to provide results before they are published in the magazine article.

My personal goal is to look at each product within reason that is coming out on the market. I am not suggesting you do the same.You have to understand my personality. I took 4 months looking and researching wheels before I purchased my own for my Z. I will wait to drive the DW SC and Greddy and PE TT before I decide. The wait is not that long (maybe 2 months max). I will be on vaction until Jan 5th thus it is just a matter of weeks really. For me, doing the research and learning about the products is a majority of the fun. Many people just want to buy the product right away and that matches their needs.

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 12-16-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:42 PM
fluidz

Default Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by ravaz
You are a moron, and that's all I'm going to say.
You 2 babe!
Old 12-16-2003, 01:31 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by mpowers
I feel Sport Z should be thanked for bringing the magazine back and doing a much better job than ever before. And they did it with thier own monies. I can also say I am glad they ask for community involvement. So act like you own a Z not a Mustang!
Kudos to Sport Z!
Thank you, greatly appreciated. One point though, Sport Z is an original and has no connection to the defunct Z mag from 5 years ago.

Bob
Old 12-16-2003, 03:45 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

disappointing......19 inch no good for the 1320
Old 12-16-2003, 04:13 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Here it is.

Seeing this venom being spewed by the handful of peddlers of hate is heartbreaking and insulting and should stop right now.

Moving on...

Special thanks to our supporters who have "voiced" their conscientious opinions; please be assured that Sport Z will stay the course. We will not be deterred from our goals by the abhorrent behavior of the few.

Art Singer, associate publisher of Sport Z Magazine, will post here later today and if the editor of Sport Z emerges from his coma, he may have something to say tomorrow.

Happy Holidays to everyone. Hopefully the joy of the season will restore the good will in the hearts of those who appear to need it most.

Bob
Old 12-16-2003, 05:05 PM
slay2k

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
disappointing......19 inch no good for the 1320
I guarantee the wheels have nothing to do with it. They certainly wouldn't affect the time by more than 0.1 of a second. How do I know ? Because I've timed myself with 18s and with 19s, and the difference is none.

Anyway, did you notice their "best stock run" was like a 14.3 ? Elevation perhaps, or track conditions. But the point is, that run should be a 14.0 or so, which means you could probably decrement the rest of the times by 0.2 or 0.3 seconds.

And to publisher, I'm glad you consider us "peddlers of hate", but the sad truth is people don't like hype without substance. Perhaps you'll consider that in the future.

-slay
Old 12-16-2003, 05:30 PM
FLY BY Z

It is not hype without substance, you just aren't getting the instant gratification that you and the rest of America have come to expect. So what. Is it really going to change everyones LIFE to not know until March the outcome of a test of superchargers on Zs done by a magazine? Hopefully, just HOPEFULLY, there are better things in your life and the lives around you to worry about. Just a thought that sort of passed through my mind, no big deal. Merry Christmas, try to enjoy it in spite of the fact that you don't know if the Stillen is better than the Vortech.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:38 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by slay2k

And to publisher, I'm glad you consider us "peddlers of hate", but the sad truth is people don't like hype without substance. Perhaps you'll consider that in the future.

-slay
Slay, your avatar says it all.

Bob

Quick Reply: Sport Z Supercharger Shootout - Done!