Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sport Z Supercharger Shootout - Done!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 06:58 PM
kvjacobz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch!
Old 12-16-2003, 06:58 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sam, I think you might be onto something. I am a teacher and the department head of Industrial Technology. I got students in our Automotive program that would have been happy to be there to do all kind of things. After all, what is better to an 18 year old than fast cars and big trucks? Well, i guess I know the answer to that one but that is off topic!

Jeff (yes I am the bald guy)
Old 12-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Mikestro

skk100, here is my opinion..

It is a struggling crap company that won't give any info and has a rude test driver.

I was ready to order the Sport Z magazine just to support some fellow Z enthusiasts, then I go to this event and they are driving a Volkswagon and the long haired dude is rude. *** them.

I mean that with the utmost respect not.

See you at the next autocross.

Maybe you will convince 4 more guys to let you dog the **** out of their car for ABSOLUTELY FREE.

>>(skk100) Oh yeah and by the way thank you Sport Z for making me pay for my girlfriend's entrance fee to the dragstrip (She was in the car with me all the way from Los Angeles to San Diego to Carlsbad). What did you want me to do with her? Make her stay outside on the street corner and wait for me?

They did that because they suck.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:01 PM
skk100

jeff,

I think my name is on the list for track day but just want to check. Also please include my friends Roberto (2003 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo), Phil (2003 MBZ CL600), and Brian (2003 MBZ E55) on the list as tentative.

Thanks
Sam
Old 12-16-2003, 07:05 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Mikestro:

Wow, you are following my directions and flaming me. I feel like Sadam H. right now. I guess you can say this is a steep learning curve for me. Should I pull my pic of myself off my avatar before you guys tar and feather me?

Jeff
Old 12-16-2003, 07:09 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Sam, you are on the list for track and the 911 friend of yours already. I will add your other friends right now.

BTW, I am working with Carlos (does SER track events so he has experience in planning events) and Mossy Nissan for track day. If you guys that are participating have suggestions, i will consider them ahead of time and try to make it happen. It is better than getting massacured on line after the event is done like i am experiencing right now.

Actually, the way this track day got going was me thinking it would be fun to get some guys together with Z's and drive them and just hang out. If someone is willing to do something positive and help out to make it a better event, I welcome you in doing so.

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 12-16-2003 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:19 PM
skk100

Jeff,

Let me reiterate that you did an awesome job and you put a lot of heart into the event. You had the Z community's interest in mind. I feel that Sport Z magazine saw this as a great way to promote the sale and subscription base to their magazine, Which by the way is perfectly logical and understandable and I do not fault them for that. What I do fault them for is their lack of appreciation and respect to the volunteers.

Jeff i am glad I got to meet you and look forward to attending events that you organize.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:22 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Thanks Sam, I apprecite your feedback.

BTW, I think I can say this much, I rode in all of your SC cars and they blew my mind. As you all know, accurate dyno's and track times will be published later but for now my butt dyno says YES! The higher powered NA cars I have ridden in were really nice but this was a totally different level and a level I want to get use to having.

I have heard that in the Air Force they sometimes let plane mechanics take a ride in a fighter jet just before they can get out of the service to get them to sign up for 4 more years.

I can tell you that more than ever, I want hp like you guys have. This is nothing like adding an exhaust and wondering if you can feel the difference. Trust me, you can feel it. oh yes, you feel it alright!

Our job is to compare them and we will with a fine tooth comb so to speak but all of them are rocket ships- at least that is what my old butt dyno says.

I got a suggestion for some of you. If you plan on going to the track on March 5th, do everyhing you can to sweet talk guys like Sam into letting you ride in his car for a lap as he tracks it. The SportZ article will be out by then and you can compare what you feel about his car to the article. Sam, it is your car so you make the choise if you will give anyone a ride. I am just simply stating how much fun it was to have the experience of riding in these 3 cars.

I felt like I was driving a 36hp VW bug on the way home in my 350Z. Guys, if you dont want to spend money, do yourself a favor and dont get in one of these guys cars.

Ok, enough of me explaining what a thrill it is to experience these cars. Now, let me but my SportZ writer hat back on and get flamed some more.....

..Jeff

Last edited by zland; 12-16-2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:27 PM
N4Spd

sport Z, penny wise pound foulish...

I subscribed to your magazine just for this issue.

Even if some teasers/highlights are out, I'd still be
excited about your next issue. If anything, I'd be
more excited to read it in detail... every word,
every line, every picture...

Could have been free good advertising but look
what you got. Keep in mind that your next issue
comes out a long time from now and so people are
going to be extra hungry (compared to other rag
times).

I remember the long wait for the Z/G pre-order.
Nissan was smart to release some teasers but not
all the details... Worked great for them because look
at all the pre-orders that held on for almost a year...

Try this:
- highest rwhp was X (but not what car)
- picture of all 4 cars together (hood doesn't even have to be open)
- lowest 1/4 mile was X (again, no need to mention who)

just my 2 cents because I really DO want your mag to do well...
rob
Old 12-16-2003, 07:30 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

N4Spd:

Excellent suggestions!

Jeff
Old 12-16-2003, 08:47 PM
TereP

Hmmm... Maybe there were a few rough spots (I wasn't there); in hindsight we always find things that could have been done better. My guess is that Bob does appreciate everyone's participation. What we might be missing is that Sport Z is not some monolithic corporate giant -- it's a small core of folks who pour a lot of their own blood, sweat, and tears (not to mention personal cash) into putting out the best magazine for Z owners, by Z owners. It's a labor of love, done on a shoestring budget. Sport Z is not going to make Bob or anyone else a millionaire.

Given those facts, I say, forgive forget, and just go drive your Zs for the love of it. If you're not of a mind to wait 3 months to see the results, do a little homework on your own and get blown! Ain't nothing like being thrown back in your seat and feeling the front end get light when the pedal hits the metal. Yep, you can lay down a little track at 80 mph if you've a mind to do it. Doesn't matter really if one SC has a couple more or less hp, or a tenth or two difference on the track -- they'll all make your heart pound; it's a wild ride for sure, and my little Black Cherry is wild. 2,500 miles on a DIY SC and going strong!

Oh yeah, a properly set up ATI will do high 12s if you want to know. BFG DRs will shave a couple tenths.

Here's the way the big three should line up by my guess (you'll have to wait three months to find out if I nailed it!):
Stillen -- big low end torque but lacks top end hp (it's a roots and that's a drag blower) -- the intercooler addition probably helped a bunch, but the lowest boost of the three puts it at a little disadvantage
ATI -- nice flat torque from 3,600 to 6,100 and great top end hp
Vortech -- similar to ATI but pushing a little more boost for higher top end; probably beat the ATI in the quarter by a tenth if they we both set up right

Note, the stock clutch and LSD are the weak links on the dragstrip, so if any of the Zs had mods there, that would be the real deciding factor.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:49 PM
slay2k

skk,

props to you for volunteering and for speaking your mind. If ya want, I'll paypal you your girl's entrance fee, even though I didn't have a damn thing to do with the event.

Actually, how much for your gf altogether ?

Oh and by the way, just wanted to make a small correction in your grammar, since I'm **** about that. It's "would have" and "could have", not would of, could of. Thought this'll save you some face in your professional life down the road.

peace,
-slay
Old 12-16-2003, 08:51 PM
slay2k

PS, Tere will you be my booty call ?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:52 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Tere:

Thanks for the positive perspective. You are right on about the mag BTW! Small group of people doing their best to put out a mag that is as good as they can make it. I think it is getting better.

Actually, if someone steps back and looks at it in the big picture, the article is something that people are interested in so my hope is it will serve the Z community well. things could be worse if no one could care less about it!

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 12-16-2003 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:55 PM
skk100

i didnt realize I was entering my unedited remarks into an essay contest.

Keep your money. I'll work extra hard this week to make up the difference.

In all seriousness, you weren't there and I don't appreciate your sarcasm. I was speaking my mind. If you want to get into a war of semantics and grammar leave me out of it.

peace
Old 12-16-2003, 08:58 PM
skk100

slay,

send me a pic of yourself and I will pass it onto my girlfriend and maybe she'll give you call
Old 12-16-2003, 09:09 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by slay2k
I guarantee the wheels have nothing to do with it. They certainly wouldn't affect the time by more than 0.1 of a second. How do I know ? Because I've timed myself with 18s and with 19s, and the difference is none.

Anyway, did you notice their "best stock run" was like a 14.3 ? Elevation perhaps, or track conditions. But the point is, that run should be a 14.0 or so, which means you could probably decrement the rest of the times by 0.2 or 0.3 seconds.

nah......talk to the hardcore guys slay....bigger rotational mass.......it wasn't the right wheel for the job........thats why dragsters have really small wheels with really fat tires......less metal, less mass

to give you an idea i've run a 14.1 normally aspirated with the VDC on.......and that was with summer air temps.......this winter air should have done wonders for them, but apparently didn't
Old 12-16-2003, 09:15 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

What I am most pleased about is the test cars had basically the same tire sizes so the varibles were not too great. I am just more focused on the cars comparing to each other rather than trying to get the quickest ET. Sure we could have done a lot of things like tires optimal for drag racing etc but the fact is, we got cars that were basically equal thus apples to apples so to speak.

Another thing is I realize that no matter what is done in a comparsion, someone wished something different would have been done. Everyone has different perspectives on something like this. Car owners hope to see their car perform optimally of course and Manufactures of the SC'ers feel the same. I have felt like a punching bag this week, getting it from all angles.

Just setting up a criteria for how the cars would be dyno'ed was interesting. I could write an article on that alone. I had the joy of hearing all sides of that prior to the flame throwing of today's comments. I guess it is appropriate for the Christmas holidays. Now I know what it feels like to be cruxified. I am not complaining really, just trying to give you a small perspective of what it takes to get a test done and how no matter what happens, people feel shortchanged in one way or another.

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 12-16-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:16 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a horrible ugly thread.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:22 PM
skk100

Ugly is right

Quick Reply: Sport Z Supercharger Shootout - Done!