Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Haltech Update, with CAN Input/Output Expansion Box

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so do the inputs change the maps in reaction to sensor inputs?

Originally Posted by rcdash
I figured out how to do fuel compensation using the injector trims

Also, my QTEC electronic controller just needs a negative ground trigger - that's it - and that's easy. It controls the application of power to the motors

I've played with the software and I really like the way they implemented it. Very intuitive - very cool. More compensation maps would have been nice, but I have every functional requirement I wanted taken care of, I think. I will let you know if it lets me down.

Many thanks to Hal and Dynosty for keeping me updated, answering all my questions and getting me a unit fast!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
so do the inputs change the maps in reaction to sensor inputs?
No. I was wondering how they would implement additional i/o channels given known memory limitations (plz nobody ask why memory is a limitation!). The engineers came up with an arguably suboptimal, but pragmatic solution of overarching "trims" that could be directly affected by sensor inputs as well as allowing sensor inputs to serve as axes for existing maps.

It's clever. Not perfect but not bad. I haven't tried it out on my car yet. Hopefully over the next 2 weeks as I have time.

Last edited by rcdash; 09-23-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
You can wire it, so it Illuminates some pink LEDs when you hit boost. I know you would like that
Originally Posted by dikspiel
sorry i dont talk to people with stock blocks, move along son.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
str8dum1

in the meantime I can show you how true tune corrections are accomplished based on sensor inputs

Originally Posted by rcdash
No. I was wondering how they would implement additional i/o channels given known memory limitations (plz nobody ask why memory is a limitation!). The engineers came up with an arguably suboptimal, but pragmatic solution of overarching "trims" that could be directly affected by sensor inputs as well as allowing sensor inputs to serve as axes for existing maps.

It's clever. Not perfect but not bad. I haven't tried it out on my car yet. Hopefully over the next 2 weeks as I have time.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a Boost Controlled Fuel System? Id want an separate tank 7 gallons or so of C16 and Separate 1000cc injectors to supply c16 into the regular fuel stream upon building more than 5psi of boost. Then you could trim out the regular gas and add in c16 to increase timing and power and while out of boost running on more economical 93 pump gas. You tank of race gas then theoretically could last much longer and be used for its intended purpose and not wasting it on the way to the track or lugging gas cans around just to fill it up and empty the tank.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:31 PM
rcdash

You can definitely trigger an output to turn on a solenoid based on boost. Interesting thought.

I've finally got one! This thing is tiny (and thankfully so).

Thank you Dynosty!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 PM
str8dum1

so it has a fuel pressure input. does it do fuel pressure compensation? like in Binders case where his base fuel pressure is moving around, fuel pressure compensation will adjust the IPW to keep the proper AFR regardless of pressure (obviously limited by max flow of the injectors at that fuel pressure)
Old 09-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you can use the fuel pressure input to act as a fuel trim if desired, or setup a failsafe if fuel pressure drops below a set amount while meeting other criteria. I'd rather know if fuel pressure drops while in boost, than have it auto-trim for changes - but you could have both if desired.

Glad to see it made it to you rcdash
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 AM
str8dum1

Thanks for the clarification Hal!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raj just curious of where you intend to mount it? Does it look like it will fit behind the passenger foot well with the haltech?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
rcdash

It is small enough to squeeze into many crevices in and around that area. There is a nice spot to the left of the blower motor in the passenger side footwell. I have two innovate SSI-4 boxes over there now with wiring for all my sensor hook ups coming in via CAT5 cabling. I won't have a chance to play with it until Sunday though
Old 09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
GreenGoblin

ok very nice, I was thinking similar to how the utec sandwiched up next to the stock ecu. If you could take some pics when you are installing it, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Hal your manual trim module uses can bus right? So if you got one of these expansion boxes you could get a few trim module thingers and go to town with on the fly adjustments, correct?
If so; mfaac (mo-foing, awesome *** coolness)

EDIT:
Clicked on the picture, and that don't look like can bus? Wish I was at home... I could take a look on the damn thing... besides that I miss the car

Last edited by Resmarted; 09-27-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 AM
str8dum1

Its not can, just a normal 3 pin weatherpak.

Last edited by str8dum1; 09-28-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
ok very nice, I was thinking similar to how the utec sandwiched up next to the stock ecu. If you could take some pics when you are installing it, I would appreciate it.
Sure no problem. This could go by the stock ECU, but for something this small, there is room on the other side of the blower motor as well.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
so it has a fuel pressure input. does it do fuel pressure compensation? like in Binders case where his base fuel pressure is moving around, fuel pressure compensation will adjust the IPW to keep the proper AFR regardless of pressure (obviously limited by max flow of the injectors at that fuel pressure)
I have thought about this but what is holding me back is masking a problem with another device without fixing the problem. Plus I'm not sure I want to keep throwing money at this car.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:03 PM
mx594

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
Cool... thx for the update

Fixed O2 control PID settings functionality
Fixed Transient Throttle Coolant Temp Corr functionality

What were the issues and or symptoms that were observed

Also in field testing Hal have you noticed any issues with the firmware upgrade from older versions. eg: is there a process we should follow for the upgrade that we shoiuld be aware of?
I would also like to know more about these.

I always thought it was incredibly hard to tune the O2 control PID settings.

And I sometimes get very lean transient throttle conditions when my car is cold, despite adding a huge amount of percentage in the transient throttle coolant temp compensation map. Hopefully it will work better now.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 AM
mx594

I just downloaded the new ecu manager and opened one of my old maps. It looks like the PID settings for O2 control are gone completely? Does it autotune itself now?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 AM
MR RIZK

^^^ Main Setup - Advanced - Advanced Tab

However when opening a old map (106) on the PC the PID settings are not there. To see them

make a copy of the new 350z base map
import your old map over new base map

You will now see the PID settings.

I assume when upgrading the firmware on the ECU it will also upgrade the map. I haven't had a chance to test though but from memory on the previous versions this is what it did.

PS: Double check the imported values

Last edited by MR RIZK; 10-02-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

not to derail this too much but is it even worth updating firmware and the manager?

I don't really see the benefit if it's not actually going to help me do anything so i guess i'm confused. As far as i know i currently have no "problems" with the current version so there really isn't anything to fix. Now if it helps my car drive better then i will download it.

Quick Reply: Haltech Update, with CAN Input/Output Expansion Box