Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Haltech Update, with CAN Input/Output Expansion Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i used the normal generic output on my haltech for meth for a while. worked perfectly. I even staged my nozzles using the output and a hobbs switch. you really dont need a PWM controlled meth pump setup. I certainly wouldnt buy a 500$ box just for that. The ability to trim to different boost levels on the fly is nice though.
I'm trying to decide on a meth kit right now myself. I do like that the AEM has a recirc style pump.. but the difference really shouldn't be that much better.

What kit/nozzles are you running?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, i was running 20% total fuel volume. 10% isnt that much.

Sounds like you want to make it more complicated than needs be. The only thing I have learned over the past 8yrs with my G35 is that the more complicated things are, the less I get to drive and the more time I spend f'n around with stuff.

What meth system are you using? If you are piecing it together, the best option is to just get the coolingmist CMGS. http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...pid=vc2systemx

It has analog fault output that you could run to the Haltech to drop to wastegate boost, etc. Plus full PWM meth control, all in a 52mm gauge (or square box). Flow blockage alert, etc, all stuff that your haltech cant do. Like you said, you want to be precise, so a full meth controller is a much better option for total safety.

Originally Posted by jerryd87
the only thing im worried about with it is that im going to be running it as a fuel, not really a detonation suppressant as something to lower iat's. So thats why i kinda want something precise or as precise as i can get it. its also direct port and i was figuring probably 10% of my fuel being meth should work well for what i plan on using it for.
Just pieced together my own system with some nozzles, 250psi pump, quick disconnects and a controller. In the end, prolly the same price as a "kit" Its off the car now. Meth is just too much of a risk and I didnt want to spend anymore for the additional failsafes that keep with the level of build I have.

Originally Posted by Resmarted
I'm trying to decide on a meth kit right now myself. I do like that the AEM has a recirc style pump.. but the difference really shouldn't be that much better.

What kit/nozzles are you running?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:21 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

like i said i was just thinking of one box to try and handle everything the fuel pump was another thing no real reason to run both pumps all the time. do they sell that box and solenoid seperatly? already had a kit i bought a partial one off here and then bought extra nozzles, line, and a manifold for the direct port from devils own really just need the controller and solenoid
Old 10-12-2011, 05:49 AM
str8dum1

ya, you can buy the controller separately.

What do you mean run it as fuel? You already have twin pumps...

im going to be running it as a fuel, not really a detonation suppressant as something to lower iat's.

Last edited by str8dum1; 10-12-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 AM
jerryd87

I'm not really running it for fuel to get extra fuel im running it as im going to have 99 octane fuel already so im not worried about detonation suppressant merely to lower intake air temps. however since i am running it as pure meth and no water i want it to try and be precise across the cylinders. looking at the cooling mist it is definatly something i would be interested in. i simply was liking the idea the haltech would allow me to control and fine tune the meth exactly how i want to maximize power and also take a little timing out after finding that point for a slightly milder tune.

I also liked the idea i would be able to turn the fuel pump on with it and pretty much have it primed before i actually need it so i would have no transition time so to speak, i dont see me needing it very often before i get off hawaii though so no sense running both pumps all the time but im a firm believer of doing it the right way the first time and dont wanna overhaul my fuel system down the road ill just install everything and wire everything now.

The i/o box also allows me expansion possibilitys in the future such as co2 intercooler spray if i ever encounter heat soak issues which i dont expect but you never know and if not i know there are things i can think of to use the inputs and outputs for. for safety with the meth it would be easy enough to wire in a flow sensor that if it dosnt detect the flow it would trigger just spring pressure.

Last edited by jerryd87; 10-12-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 AM
str8dum1

What kit do you have that you are having that bad of AIT issues?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 AM
jerryd87

its not that the temps are bad, i honestly dont know yet and wont till i get home from the deployment ill start the build thread around jan/feb with pics of the car, the plan, and the parts i just want to maximize what i have without running on the ragged edge. granted there will be a tiny bit of power to be had still in fuel and timing for safety but the meth and other parts choices will help minimize the untapped power. im going to be running sasha's 6765 kit which just showed up at the house the other week and like i said it wont be on the car till i get back as ill be doing my own labor, except mayby the tuning im only familar with the old 80's gm ecus and flashing eeproms but i might try that myself as well.

I dont want to go to a larger turbo but i want to get my moneys worth out of the 6765 and that will require supporting mods, with a little bit of educated guessing, turbo maps from similar turbos, a few online calculators the actual intake air temp at 28 psi boost should be around 141 degrees, in real world situations its probably going to be a little higher then that so reducing that can yield quite a bit of power and thats what im trying to do. dont want to go bigger on the turbo because then i will take longer to spool, would go with the new 6766, 1.44 ar divided housing and quick spool valve but they want 500 bucks to exchange the turbo even though they just told me two months ago(might be 3 by now? time kinda blends togeather here) they wouldnt be out for quite awhile still they where still having trouble making them cost effecient.

an example using the 141 temp post intercooler above, a reduction of only 25 degrees which is reasonable using meth would yield a .12 increase in the air density ratio, with the ratio only being 2.62 at 141 degrees thats quite a bit. i wont know the actual temps for awhile but the higher they are the more useful the meth will be, no one is running that turbo that high yet, extensive talks with precision tells me with the mods im going with on our engine right around 28 lbs of boost should be the sweet spot for that turbo to max airflow out of the turbo it will vary slightly though once i get there.

Its pretty much im just trying to max power under the curve i guess while still retain a close to max peak power. i know with the setup im aiming for i will make slightly less peak power then others using the same kit at the same boost level using the "traditional" set of mods, but if everything goes according to plan and i stick with the plan based on my experience and what ive seen on countless other platforms i should end up with a great average power across the power band.

Last edited by jerryd87; 10-12-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

water/meth injection is great for AIT reduction and consistent power on hot days. It also allowed me to safely get a few extra psi that were left in the turbos and get a little extra fuel since I was near the limits of my pump. I've done all I can with the small GT28s but I'm happy with it.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
water/meth injection is great for AIT reduction and consistent power on hot days. It also allowed me to safely get a few extra psi that were left in the turbos and get a little extra fuel since I was near the limits of my pump. I've done all I can with the small GT28s but I'm happy with it.
It doesn't actually register as AIT reduction with our cars since the temp sensor is in the maf and that's what the tables for timing compensation come from so are you just taking out the air temp comps for timing or are you spraying meth before the temp sensor so the car actually registers the lower temps?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM
str8dum1

he/we use an aftermarket AIT sensor so we can log meth temp changes
Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 PM
jerryd87

where do you guys have your sensors mounted? with the nozzles in the runners im thinking thats not enough room for a sensor in one of the runners and it would screw up airflow in that runner. plus it would read lower then actual due to meth actually hitting it. In theory a sensor in the middle of the plenum should be good because if i have the nozzles in the bend on the kinetix it should damn near cool the whole intake from osmosis, meth evaporates super quick. ive seen some direct port setups that are actually cold to the touch despite numerious high power dyno runs.

Last edited by jerryd87; 10-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:32 PM
rcdash

Mine is in the neck of the plenum. I have two spray nozzles pre-TB. AIT temps can go from 50 degrees above ambient to 10 degrees below in a matter of seconds. The HKS 1/8" npt AIT sensor calibration curve is nearly identical to the stock MAF - the stock ECU reads it happily as I have it wired back in to the MAF wiring, and the Haltech picks it up from the stock harness.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-12-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is in the neck of the plenum. I have two spray nozzles pre-TB. AIT temps can go from 50 degrees above ambient to 10 degrees below in a matter of seconds. The HKS 1/8" npt AIT sensor calibration curve is nearly identical to the stock MAF - the stock ECU reads it happily as I have it wired back in to the MAF wiring, and the Haltech picks it up from the stock harness.
you evil genius! Can one of these sensors be purchased alone or does it come with a gauge?

I'm not sure if it will do anything for me because i don't really think i'm going to run meth. I'll see how the e85 stuff pans out. I might get rid of this twin pump to go back to stock basket and meth injection if i can't get this fuel pressure problem lined out.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

^ we have air temp sensors and bungs in stock and rather inexpensive. Call to order 859-230-9027
Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 AM
str8dum1

the HKS ones? or the huge 3/8 npt GM ones?

HKS ones are not cheap, like >100$
Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

^ We have both AEM/Haltech 3/8NPT Air temp kits, and the smaller Haltech 14mm air temp sensor. We do not stock the HKS air temp sensor though we can get it or a more affordable 1/8 NPT air temp sensor if needed.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is in the neck of the plenum. The HKS 1/8" npt AIT sensor calibration curve is nearly identical to the stock MAF - the stock ECU reads it happily as I have it wired back in to the MAF wiring, and the Haltech picks it up from the stock harness.
Very cool to know.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:26 PM
jerryd87

how far do the 1/8th npt sensors stick out past the threads hal? if its better then the gm sensors that could mayby be an option, weld a bung about halfway down the runner after the bend so when fully threaded in the sensor end would almost be flush with a little room around it so it dosnt effect airflow much and be shielded from getting meth sprayed directly onto it.................. hmmmm it might work lol
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
rcdash

Hal, do you know how much current the DPOs can drive? I am considering controlling the radiator fans with a pair of these:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...GWdMvso17e8%3d

Can the outputs drive coils rated 200 ma at 5V (nearly 1 watt)?

EDIT: never mind - found documentation that they support up to 1A. nice! Not sure what the doc means by 12v / 5v pull up. It is all 5V as far as I can tell for the outputs and inputs.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-22-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 AM
aln

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wire?

Have a 'quick' Q about the IO expander box ,have had it lying at home for a good while now (waiting for the time to be installed...)

Looking at the schematics at the moment and I'm not sure where the following cabling would be going:
Signal Ground (Black / White) Connect this wire to the signal ground on the ECU
Now where is the signal ground and is it the OEM ecu or the Haltech ECU discussed here?

Schematics here:
http://www.haltech.com/wp-content/up...V1_website.pdf

Quick Reply: Haltech Update, with CAN Input/Output Expansion Box