Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Nooob Power Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM
rh_334

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
IM just saying.. for the price you can scoop a 2003 350z for.. why oh why wouldnt you jsut buy a 350? they are hands down one million times more fun to drive as well. apples to apples man.. not hating.. but dude.. WHY???
Because he bought the block built with part of a TT kit for $1200
Old 10-05-2011, 01:29 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by rh_334
Because he bought the block built with part of a TT kit for $1200
sounds like a win to me!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ace32x
sounds like a win to me!
Doesn't mean the block was built right.

IMO stay with the vg30. The vq has been a pita so far to work on (I've done all the work along side a friend), can't imagine it's going to be ANY easier on a different chassis. .5 liters really isn't worth the hastle...
keeping the 5 speed? Interesting I guess.
I'd take a vg30dett over a vq35, I honestly briefly considered doing the swap into my car but didn't feel it would be that much easier than just building my motor.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to sell what you got and go 2j imo... That way you are putting a motor that is really boost friendly. I mean the vg isn't the BEST boosted engine but it's pretty damn good, better than most and I feel it's at least better than a vq35. I think swapping it in would almost be a step backward. Like thom said keep that vg30. Most of these guys who are telling you not to do this have fully built cars with serious $ in it. Also most of them are making most of the records of the z33 community. Listen to them.
PS I spoke with Reid about eagle rods, and he believes the block will go before the rods. That's something to consider; you are putting an open deck aluminum block motor and taking out a semi closed iron block... Not what I would consider the best for boost.
Not trying to knock you but just being realistic.
And l19's are miles ahead of the standards. It has to do with their torquing specs. If you can't afford the extra 200$ trust me you don't want to deal with a vq35.

Last edited by Resmarted; 10-05-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:32 PM
THE300ZXMASTER

Originally Posted by Resmarted

IMO stay with the vg30. The vq has been a pita so far to work on (I've done all the work along side a friend), can't imagine it's going to be ANY easier on a different chassis. .5 liters really isn't worth the hastle...
I'd take a vg30dett over a vq35, I honestly briefly considered doing the swap into my car but didn't feel it would be that much easier than just building my motor.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to sell what you got and go 2j imo... That way you are putting a motor that is really boost friendly. I mean the vg isn't the BEST boosted engine but it's pretty damn good, better than most and I feel it's at least better than a vq35. I think swapping it in would almost be a step backward. Like thom said keep that vg30. Most of these guys who are telling you not to do this have fully built cars with serious $ in it. Also most of them are making most of the records of the z33 community. Listen to them.
PS I spoke with Reid about eagle rods, and he believes the block will go before the rods. That's something to consider; you are putting an open deck aluminum block motor and taking out a semi closed iron block... Not what I would consider the best for boost.
And l19's are miles ahead of the standards. It has to do with their torquing specs. If you can't afford the extra 200$ trust me you don't want to deal with a vq35.

Sounds good, I didnt have time to check the stamping on the studs today but i should be able to tomorrow. I still have my vg and a spare crossmember just in case. I can always part it out and get my money back. If i dont have l19's I will get them, its just I would rather not have to spend anymore than I have to. Gotta pay to play, a term im familiar with. I have been in contact with John at Z1 and trying to determine the origin of the engine. It resembles very much a build they did for a guy in savannah a while back which is where the salvage yard was. Im not looking to make crazy power or make a race car. Just decided to mix it up since this engine popped up and figured what the hell, lol.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
konrad

I'm not sure 100% but every picture of L19a I seen got the stamping on them. I should get my L19s this week so I'll know then
Old 10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by THE300ZXMASTER
Sounds good, I didnt have time to check the stamping on the studs today but i should be able to tomorrow. I still have my vg and a spare crossmember just in case. I can always part it out and get my money back. If i dont have l19's I will get them, its just I would rather not have to spend anymore than I have to. Gotta pay to play, a term im familiar with. I have been in contact with John at Z1 and trying to determine the origin of the engine. It resembles very much a build they did for a guy in savannah a while back which is where the salvage yard was. Im not looking to make crazy power or make a race car. Just decided to mix it up since this engine popped up and figured what the hell, lol.
I understand what you are saying and at least a little bit of where you are coming from.
We're just trying to help really. I bet if you tallied everything up you could do a 2j swap for less and be able to make a hell of a lot more power and over all have less of a headache

oh and @konrad My l19's had a stamp on them if I recall correctly. I got them used so they were opened up already. My arp main studs were packaged and I didn't want to un-necessarily open them until we got to clearance the mains not sure how the head studs will come but I'd guess in similar fashion.

Last edited by Resmarted; 10-05-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
ace32x

for the price he could more than likely fix what ever could arrise and still be out way ahead, 1200 for a built motor and partial tt kit is a steal
Old 10-06-2011, 04:35 AM
THE300ZXMASTER

I understand what you are saying and at least a little bit of where you are coming from.
We're just trying to help really. I bet if you tallied everything up you could do a 2j swap for less and be able to make a hell of a lot more power and over all have less of a headache

oh and @konrad My l19's had a stamp on them if I recall correctly. I got them used so they were opened up already. My arp main studs were packaged and I didn't want to un-necessarily open them until we got to clearance the mains not sure how the head studs will come but I'd guess in similar fashion.
I understand

At one point I had most of the parts for the 2J swap but at the time didnt have the fabrication resources so ended up selling :/

I called ARP and they say that standard head studs have ARP stamped on the head twice but the L19's have ARP and L19 stamped into it.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 AM
konrad

I understand

At one point I had most of the parts for the 2J swap but at the time didnt have the fabrication resources so ended up selling :/

I called ARP and they say that standard head studs have ARP stamped on the head twice but the L19's have ARP and L19 stamped into it.
I just received my studs and they are FAKE, no ARP stamping at all. Contacted ARP and they confirmed they are not L19 not ARP for that matter... they were $350 new , I knew it was too good to be true, now lets see if I get my money back
Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 PM
94ttz32

Originally Posted by konrad
I just received my studs and they are FAKE, no ARP stamping at all. Contacted ARP and they confirmed they are not L19 not ARP for that matter... they were $350 new , I knew it was too good to be true, now lets see if I get my money back
Dam that sucks! good luck where did you buy from!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM
THE300ZXMASTER

Finally got around to checking the studs ( crazy week at work, 65 hours :/ ). They are the standard L17 hardware. I am going to go ahead and order the l19 studs. I should have my ecu and wiring harness done in 2 weeks. If everything runs right after all other measurements are taken I will throw it on the stand and get to work.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM
John@z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Finally got around to checking the studs ( crazy week at work, 65 hours :/ ). They are the standard L17 hardware. I am going to go ahead and order the l19 studs. I should have my ecu and wiring harness done in 2 weeks. If everything runs right after all other measurements are taken I will throw it on the stand and get to work.
Sorry to hear that. We have them in stock and can make it to you tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
THE300ZXMASTER

Will be placing my order friday thanks again John!