Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

momentum gt3794r build.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011 | 06:55 AM
str8dum1

edit-- you answered fitment ?'s above

welcome to working on a VQ. no kit has any adjustment room. I thought it was common for all the other single kits to relocate the AC lines. I know both PL and turbonetics had to do it.

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-04-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2011 | 07:29 AM
n2deepnot2keep

The wastegate tube issue has been fixed.
Powerfabs customer service is outstanding.

They took the whole thing out and rebuilt it out of the car, found a flange was angled wrong or something like that.

I can't tell u how many hours over they are eating on labor but it is a lot.

I was in Houston to pick up the car but I had to leave due to delays.
Jeremy at powerfab assured me he would get it shipped to me as soon as its done at no cost to me.

So I'm not happy about my predicament to say the least but I think powerfab is a top knotch shop.

The last thing that is a problem now is the down pipe dosent line up even close. We think they might have sent us a g35 down pipe by mistake.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 11-04-2011 | 08:01 AM
str8dum1

dang, thats almost having to fab all the piping from scratch. sounds it would probably have been faster for Powerfab to make the kit on your car themselves.

good to hear its progressing nicely despite the setbacks.
Old 11-04-2011 | 12:27 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by str8dum1
dang, thats almost having to fab all the piping from scratch. sounds it would probably have been faster for Powerfab to make the kit on your car themselves.

good to hear its progressing nicely despite the setbacks.

Bending the A/C lines is part of the install, it just took quite a bit more then what was originally called for. Everything has been just a little bit off but we are making it fit piece by piece. The only part of the hotside left that wont line up properly is the downpipe and we might just make a new one at this point.

Bryan@PowerFab
Old 11-04-2011 | 01:30 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

Was Momentum notified? If so, how was their response?
Old 11-05-2011 | 11:29 AM
binder

wow, that's strange that with all the praise on perfect fitment of momentum kits that yours was so wildly off.

This would have destroyed any home installer. Imagine if you had your car torn apart for this "bolt on" and then had to end up shipping almost all of it back because it didn't come close to fitting.

About downpipe being "maybe for a g35". How would there be a difference in downpipe for g35 to 350z? they should be identical
Old 11-05-2011 | 11:35 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

Originally Posted by binder
wow, that's strange that with all the praise on perfect fitment of momentum kits that yours was so wildly off.

This would have destroyed any home installer. Imagine if you had your car torn apart for this "bolt on" and then had to end up shipping almost all of it back because it didn't come close to fitting.

About downpipe being "maybe for a g35". How would there be a difference in downpipe for g35 to 350z? they should be identical
+1

The downpipe is identical on the PL kit. Dunno why it would be different on the Momentum kit between the Z and the G.
Old 11-05-2011 | 05:59 PM
n2deepnot2keep

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Was Momentum notified? If so, how was their response?
Momentum was contacted by powerfab.
I didn't get there response in person so I won't comment on what was told to me.
Old 11-05-2011 | 06:10 PM
n2deepnot2keep

Got an email from bryan...my downpipe issue is fixed, all the hot side piping is done!

He said he would have some #'s next week!
Old 11-05-2011 | 06:26 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

Originally Posted by n2deepnot2keep
Momentum was contacted by powerfab.
I didn't get there response in person so I won't comment on what was told to me.
Why not comment about what you were told by your shop? Since it seems that Powerfab has had to fix all the fitment issues themselves and since there has been no mention of parts being exchanged or replaced by Momentum... I'm going to venture a guess that communication between Powerfab and Momentum did not go well.

Glad that Powerfab is stepping up to fix things for you though.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-05-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2011 | 07:53 PM
n2deepnot2keep

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Why not comment about what you were told by your shop? Since it seems that Powerfab has had to fix all the fitment issues themselves and since there has been no mention of parts being exchanged or replaced by Momentum... I'm going to venture a guess that communication between Powerfab and Momentum did not go well.

Glad that Powerfab is stepping up to fix things for you though.
That's not the case. Just don't want to comment on somthing I didn't hear first hand.
Old 11-05-2011 | 09:45 PM
binder

Originally Posted by n2deepnot2keep
That's not the case. Just don't want to comment on somthing I didn't hear first hand.
then you just say "the shop told me that momentum said XX" that way we know it's coming from someone else.
Old 11-06-2011 | 06:02 AM
n2deepnot2keep

then you just say "the shop told me that momentum said XX" that way we know it's coming from someone else.
I don't really know what they said. Jeremy said he called a couple of times but I don't think he got much help.

I called momentum myself when all of the fitment issues started happenning. I left a message for Taylor but he never returned my call.

I'm about 99.9% sure Taylor or someone from momentum is
monitoring this thread,so if they want to comment they can.

When I took my car to powerFab I just wanted them to fix my sts kit.
While my engine was being rebuilt I decided to ditch sts altogether and get a dif kit.

Now I wish I had gone greddy or gtm.
Anyway I chose momentum becuase I saw all there videos,I read what all the shops and people on this site were saying. I bought into their hype about quality,fitment,and research and development.
And sinse I'm on my 3rd build I choose what I thought would be a very reliable kit.

Another reason I chose them is bcuz I was told they wanted to film the install and feature it on there website.

When it came time to do the install momentum said they couldn't film it. Don't know why, don't care really.

This is the part I care about...
I contract for allied van lines and I own my own tractor/trailor so I can haul the car myself if I so choose.

I pass up a better paying run so I can take a run that gets me close to Houston. My return trip was planned with with 3 shipments and my car of course.

My engine was done on Oct 20, I loaded my last shipment in Houston on the 22nd. I didn't have to be in saltlake until Nov 2nd

Powerfab was pretty busy at the time so they didn't start on my car until the 24th.
First completion was friday,then Tuesday,when they told me it wouldnt be done till Thursday I had to ask one of my customers if I could del late. He agreed but I had to pay him 400 for his expenses.

So Thursday I was told the kit still wasn't going to be done so I had no choose but to leave. And I'm still going to be late and I still have to pay my costomer the 400,not to mention all the extra time off work.

So even if the rest of the build goes great, the experience has left a bad taste in my mouth

Also my kit is full of parts that had to be cut, heated and bent to get them to fit. if this is because momentum did not manufacture correctly the I feel cheated.
Old 11-06-2011 | 06:22 AM
str8dum1

weird, so this had nothing do do with the bigger turbo?

i'm sure those kits are built on a jig so its surprising stuff was so off. YOu are the 1st we have heard about using that turbo though...

once you get the car back, you'll be super happy Im sure!
Old 11-06-2011 | 08:59 AM
binder

that sucks man. stuff like that takes a while to let go. I've been burned a few times on things like that and it stings.

i hope it gets lined out and you love your car.
Old 11-06-2011 | 09:21 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

that sucks man. stuff like that takes a while to let go. I've been burned a few times on things like that and it stings.

i hope it gets lined out and you love your car.
Damn... That's a shame. Hope the OP is happy with the end results when he gets his car back and can say it was all worth it despite the FAIL by Momentum.
Old 11-08-2011 | 07:50 AM
Taylor@Momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Ive personally spoken with Jeremy about the issues at hand, as well as calls from my sales department to Jeremy. Before notifying us of any install issues, he said they had already cut the kit. The kit fits, it takes LOTS of patients when aligning the many v-band flanges, and with pieces of it cut, there was no way it was going to fit properly after that. And with it modified from its original deisgn, I could no longer assist becuase I simply did not know what had been done to the kit. PF asked for a few pics of the downpipe orientation and I sent them over 5-6 shots of our downpipe on the race car using the 3794 turbo.

But to answer some questions-

Bending the AC line is a necessity to fit the down pipe. It is pictured in the installation manual.

The downpipes are the same between the two, there are no differences.

We would not offer a promotional video, then deny it. We offered the video, we emailed them a couple times. Our Director of sales and Marketing sent this email to PF on OCT 12th with no reply-

"I will get with my film crew tomorrow to discuss, do you have a more specific date/time frame?"

Then, as reported from our sales team, they were not interested in the video when asked in the future.

Now please remind you, I am not pointing fingers at any one. It seems like there is alot of he said she said and pointing fingers, I just want to clear some of that up.

Best wishes-

Last edited by Taylor@Momentum; 11-08-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2011 | 10:06 AM
n2deepnot2keep

They got the kit together and are wireing up the haltech right now.
The car should be started today and put through some heat cycles.

I hope the alterations done to the kit don't have any negative effects on performance or reliability.

Thanks for your side of it Taylor. I'm sure my install wouldn't have been so problematic if they had any experience installing your kit.

I'm not angry with powerfab or momentum. People make mistakes.
What matters is they are ( PUSHING FORWARD ) doing what ever it takes to make this the best outcome for Me they can.

Powerfab has put in an enormous amount of effort and time into this build. I feel like they are doing every thing they to make me a happy costemer.
Old 11-08-2011 | 10:43 AM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
I notice more and more issues lately with IPP blocks. I hope you have better luck.
+1 just read up about ipp block problems. its kinda scary
Old 11-08-2011 | 12:08 PM
binder

Thanks for the clarification on the issues for any future momentum kit owners. It's good to have both sides of the story so there is no biased.

Quick Reply: momentum gt3794r build.