Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Question about a catch can

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 PM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a catch can

I have been doing some research on venting the driver's side valve cover to a catch can. It seems that most just vent the driver's side to a small air filter. I have this small air filter setup and just my passenger side vented to my catch can through my pvc. I am starting to get some oil out of this small air filter connected to the driver's side valve cover, so I want to run this to my catch can. I have heard some talk about one way valves may be needed for the driver's side. Right now I have just ran 3/4" heater hose (see picture). I just connected this heater hose to the port on the end of the driver's side valve cover and just "T'ed" it at where the pvc is on the passenger side and have run it into my catch can as normal. I am running boost, will this pressure push out of the manifold, through my catch can system and into the driver's side valve cover and cause problems? Any other advice?
Attached Thumbnails Question about a catch can-enginebaytwincatchcan.jpg  

Last edited by 350Z400rwhp; 10-21-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

in boost it will pressurize your drivers valve cover which is connected back to the passenger valve cover. you will have to put a check valve in or it will be bad news.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by binder
in boost it will pressurize your drivers valve cover which is connected back to the passenger valve cover. you will have to put a check valve in or it will be bad news.
Ok thanks for the heads up, glad I asked before running it like that. I might just run the driver's side into a catch can and vent to atmosphere.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

This is how I was told to Plumb a Catch Can, by one of the Biggest Vendor/Racer/manufactures on here.

Right or Wrong? If Wrong Please Explain Why you think so.

Attach the mounting bracket to the engine's front cover using the longer stainless steel bolts (#1).
Loosely attach the catch can to the mounting bracket, as it will be briefly removed for the final step.
From the driver's side valve cover, remove the intake line from the factory intake assembly.
Insert the provided brass adapter (#7).
Begin using a -6AN hose section to route from the mounted catch can, with straight -6AN fitting (#4) to the installed brass fitting (#7). This hose length may be shortened depending on intake setup and other factors. Use a razor blade to cut the hose accordingly.
Cap the factory intake port using the larger provided cap (#3).
From the passenger's side valve cover, remove the factory breather tube line that leads to the intake manifold.
Cap the intake manifold port using the smaller provided cap (#2).
Continue with the second -6AN hose section to route from the mounted catch can and straight -6AN fitting (#4) to the passenger side valve cover. Again, use as much or little hose as you prefer to achieve desired fitment.
Attach the 45' fitting (#5) to the bottom of the catch can and test fitment to ensure that it does not interfere with the drive belt. This will lead to the drain port for the oil that the catch can collects.
Use the remaining -6AN hose, or as much as necessary, to affix the drain fitting (#6) to the bottom of the mounted catch can. Be sure to route this hose away from the drive belt or cooling fan.
Finish securing the catch can to the mounting bracket if you have not done so already.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 AM
binder

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Cap the factory intake port using the larger provided cap (#3).

Tim, due to this quoted step you have it set up correctly. The OP has the 3/8" port on the plenum attached to the catch can (at least it looks that way in the pics). With that port attached to the catch can when the car boosts it will pressurize the catch can then force that back into the valve covers.

His catch can is also not vented to atmosphere. It would easily work with these mods:

Put a 1 way valve in the hose coming off the plenum so boost isn't pushed into the catch can.
Put a hose on the catch can with a filter on the end with another check valve so air can only leave the catch can and not be pulled back in.

Those mods will allow the plenum to draw vacuum on the vents but then in boost the boost will be stopped and the valve covers will vent through the filter to the atmosphere.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:53 PM
jpc350

Is not the passenger side vented to the Vortech filter? The Vortech manual has it shown that way...A little oil vapor likely will not cause trouble...The OEM air breather box had this line plumbed to it..
Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by jpc350
Is not the passenger side vented to the Vortech filter? The Vortech manual has it shown that way...A little oil vapor likely will not cause trouble...The OEM air breather box had this line plumbed to it..
I just put a small filter on the end of the hose and let it vent to the atmosphere. I am getting some oil spray out of this filter and I want to route it to my catch can. It seems the simplest way to do this is from the comments above is to put a one way catch valve off the intake manifold so it doesn't allow any boost to enter into the catch can system. I went to an Advance Auto, O'Rileys, and a Home Depot looking for a catch valve with no luck today. I may just have to find one online.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Thanks Jeff

Originally Posted by binder
Tim, due to this quoted step you have it set up correctly. The OP has the 3/8" port on the plenum attached to the catch can (at least it looks that way in the pics). With that port attached to the catch can when the car boosts it will pressurize the catch can then force that back into the valve covers.

His catch can is also not vented to atmosphere. It would easily work with these mods:

Put a 1 way valve in the hose coming off the plenum so boost isn't pushed into the catch can.
Put a hose on the catch can with a filter on the end with another check valve so air can only leave the catch can and not be pulled back in.

Those mods will allow the plenum to draw vacuum on the vents but then in boost the boost will be stopped and the valve covers will vent through the filter to the atmosphere.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 AM
binder

Originally Posted by jpc350
More than just "a little" oil gets into the intake through that vent.

Yes, from factory it's tied into the intake but you also aren't pressurizing the crankcase with excess boost like in an FI car. Due to that extra pressurization more oil comes out of that line then dirties up your maf, throttle body, and plenum.

Tim, you're welcome