Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

my tt build

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 PM
ccchaorule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so buying osiris is pretty much just paying for the licence, i wil not be able to resell the licence later correct?? so if i save up and get a haltech it will probably be the best bet cuz i can resell it in the future if i want to and get some money back instead of buying something that i cant sell?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:25 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by ccchaorule
so buying osiris is pretty much just paying for the licence, i wil not be able to resell the licence later correct?? so if i save up and get a haltech it will probably be the best bet cuz i can resell it in the future if i want to and get some money back instead of buying something that i cant sell?
depends, with your build a haltech seems a bit over kill but if you wanna drop the cash on it and if you have a tuner that will tune it for you. i see your in Washington as well, in the west side over here theres not really anyone who tunes with haltech that ive came across so you may want to look into that when deciding which ems to use. im not sure about the east side of the state over by Spokane though. Theres cars running 1300 horse that are solely tuned on osiris and haven't had any issues, track cars at that. Spent quite a bit of time with the uprev guys at sema learned alot and shared a few of thier build builds and such they've done. they also just tuned a 950 whp 370z solely on osiris.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:50 AM
ccchaorule

how much power are you making ace32x?? who tuned your car?? well i have a built motor so the only thing holding me back right now is fuel. If i get a fuel return and a bigger fuel pump im sure i can hit 500 whp pretty easily. I just care about reliability right now. I dont want to skimp on an engine management and possibly blow my motor when i already spent over 10k on my motor and the turbo kit.. Intec tunes osiris pretty well so i was thinking about taking it there, they are charging me around 1500 tuned, which includes osiris and the upgraded maf. But dont really want to spend 1500 on it when haltech is only a lil more.. I was thinking about getting a 3in exhaust, would that make a big difference in my setup?? Also, Im not sure if i need any other cooling mods, i got the pathfinder cooling mod but is there anything else im missing in my setup that can make my setup more reliable? thankss
Old 11-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Haltech is cheap insurance on a built motor compared to the lack of direct control and safety measures found in a reflash. We are an Uprev pro tuner and I have done countless FI tunes on it, but would always choose Haltech over Uprev on a boosted application. I have spoken first hand with multiple people who have lost a motor to something as simple as overboost... for example, a simple accident like a wastegate line getting too close to the exhaust and melting, causing the motor to pop. Yes, you could add a standalone overboost protection, but that is one more standalone system you have to add to the mess on a FI Uprev setup. The Haltech gives more control and is more consistent - both of which are valuable on boosted applications. For example, all live tuning (including cam timing), direct control of dwell to maximize spark, ignition timing table in degrees with RPM and Load (boost/vacuum) as the axis, etc. The interface is also much more user-friendly and intuitive.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by ccchaorule
how much power are you making ace32x?? who tuned your car?? well i have a built motor so the only thing holding me back right now is fuel. If i get a fuel return and a bigger fuel pump im sure i can hit 500 whp pretty easily. I just care about reliability right now. I dont want to skimp on an engine management and possibly blow my motor when i already spent over 10k on my motor and the turbo kit.. Intec tunes osiris pretty well so i was thinking about taking it there, they are charging me around 1500 tuned, which includes osiris and the upgraded maf. But dont really want to spend 1500 on it when haltech is only a lil more.. I was thinking about getting a 3in exhaust, would that make a big difference in my setup?? Also, Im not sure if i need any other cooling mods, i got the pathfinder cooling mod but is there anything else im missing in my setup that can make my setup more reliable? thankss
shooting for 700-750 whp with mine but we'll see the turbo's might max out before then. Intec Racing Has done the whole build and is tuning it aswell. If you talk to them and let them know where your at in your decision making process they'll probably give you a little better deal. Im assuming thats using the new uprev maf vs the hpx one aswell which is a little more expensive. Pathfinder should be fine up here in the NW. Might want to pick a radiator up eventually for the summer but it wouldn't be a must. What are you running for exhaust right now?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:24 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty
Haltech is cheap insurance on a built motor compared to the lack of direct control and safety measures found in a reflash. We are an Uprev pro tuner and I have done countless FI tunes on it, but would always choose Haltech over Uprev on a boosted application. I have spoken first hand with multiple people who have lost a motor to something as simple as overboost... for example, a simple accident like a wastegate line getting too close to the exhaust and melting, causing the motor to pop. Yes, you could add a standalone overboost protection, but that is one more standalone system you have to add to the mess on a FI Uprev setup. The Haltech gives more control and is more consistent - both of which are valuable on boosted applications. For example, all live tuning (including cam timing), direct control of dwell to maximize spark, ignition timing table in degrees with RPM and Load (boost/vacuum) as the axis, etc. The interface is also much more user-friendly and intuitive.
It doesn't sound like the OP is doing tuning himself and most tuners up here don't want to tune on haltech. they will but most of them never have before. personally i dont want to be some ones training dummy for their first haltech use XD id rather stick with what they are comfortable with.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 PM
ccchaorule

my turbos are about to go in tomorrow but my mechanic recommend me thermal coat the manifolds real quick. Will this make a big difference? Its going to cost me 200 bucks so dont know if its worth it or not. And if i do decide to thermal coat my manifolds, should i just do the same to the turbos in the mean time?? i got quoted for 75 bux per turbo.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:36 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

haltech is by far NOT overkill on this setup. built engine with a greddy twin kit has potential to make 700+hp so running a stand alone is almost a must at this point so i wouldn't even think that it would be over kill.

In truth, running a stand alone isn't over kill for any car. The safety and tunability that any of the stand alones give is well worth it's weight. There isn't any amount of protection and options that i would call over kill. I love the haltech so much i would run it even on my car if it was NA.

OP, you can get the osiris tune right now while you are saving and it will do the job just fine. On your low HP (for a built engine that is) I would say don't invest in a boost controller just yet and wait until you can afford the haltech. Just run spring pressure and if you get a wideband setup make sure you get a setup that is compatible with the haltech so it will be an easy upgrade later. Personally the dual wideband controller with sensors from haltech is very nice. I used innovate motorsports dual widebands before i switched over to the haltech system and the innovate was nice but i had to calibrate them all the time which got annoying.

If you can afford the thermal coat i would go with it. That junk gets REAL hot under there so it will help reduce your engine bay temps. Especially if you are going to be pushing some high HP later. The coating also protects the manifolds and turbo housings from corrosion. I know my turbine housing looks like it lives at the bottom of the sea because i didn't get it coated. LOL