Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

5 at sc to gtm tt build

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 5 at sc to gtm tt build

After running my 2006 enthusiast 5 at z NA for a few years, I lusted for more power. I figured it would be best to update the suspension, wheels, cooling etc before adding power, which I did. Wilwood bbk, hotchkiss, spl, eibach, enkei, mishimoto etc parts all helped make the Z better handling.

Next, I chose a vortech SC with 2.87 pulley to add. While it felt great for a few weeks, I still wanted more power, hence my present 4.0 stroked and poked build (see GTM webpage for specifics on the engine-http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product.php?productid=17585&cat=536&page=1
I wanted as much power as the 5AT can hold (looking at a 4l80e swap if its too weak).

The car has a few unique cooling features due to the Z's notorious reputation of running hot. After all gauges were installed, it did tend to run hot especially when sitting in Miami summer temps. I decided to install a front mounted fluidyne oil cooler (32" x 4" x 4") which you can barely see through the cooling air vents I cut in the front carbon fiber spoiler (see photo).

In the rear, I custom designed and help build a one off combined diff/at cooler which mounted behind the diff and between the motordyne resonators on the rear tailpipes. The 2 coolers are 13 row and 7 row, mounted inside an aluminum box with a clear lexan clear glass covering the bottom for visual effects. The cooler housing has LED's for special effect that can be turned on at will, which also illuminates the front oil cooler, and also the HR carbon vents on the front bumper/hood joint.

Another unique feature I had built by Mitchells welding in Miami (THE BEST in one off projects/welding!) was a modified titan AT pan. The titan pan is too deep to run on a lowered car, so I had Mitchells cut 1.5" out of the center and reweld it (shortened interior baffles as well). Then it was powder coated candy blue and the fins brushed. To protect the oil pan, I bought a tanabe underbrace but it drug the ground, so again, I went to John Mitcheel to shorten the attachments points to within 1/4" of the pan for more ground clearance/speeed bump clearance.

After seeeing TONYS motordyne titanium exhaust rear end with all its powder coating, I decided I'd also powder coat many of the underbody parts. Sunframe was removed, powder coated aztec gold and reinstalled with whitelines bushing kit. Spring buckets were also gold. Nismo diff covr was powder coated blue like the AT pan cover and engine oil pan. GT spec blue underbody braces front and rear were installed. A Z speed aluminum underbody tray was coated gold as well. Gold foil heat sheilding was installed on the rear driveshaft tunnel shield.Red hotchkis sways round out the colorful underbody (GOT to get this photgraghed!). By the way, that motordyne exhaust sounds AWESOME!

As you can tell, this project has taken me over 1 year to preapre the car to be able to handle the 800whp GTM built, stroked, poked, ported long block (see attached link). The car has had a quaife diff installed, ebuilt rear end, water methanol (trunk mount) from alcoholinjectionsystems (rodney is a GREAT help!) with 3, 3gph injectors plumbed into 3 seapate injection points on a kinetix plenum (I know, I know, but it looks good and at 800 whp, I can give up a little).

The transmision was fully built, TQ converter and has yet to give me any problems. SS lines were plumbed to the rear cooler with AN fittings all around.

The car was shipped to Sam at GTM nov 1 (after selling the SC etup to my bud chris) for installation of the engine, tuning and possible project car builup.
Seats, harnesses, paint etc may all be installed while the engine is being installed
(90MM stroke 97mm bore, 272 cams, stage 3 porting, all internally and externally ceramic coated hot parts, HR cooling mod, etc etc, with powder coated front engine covers and intake tree (ported)) etc etc........

Ill try now to post some older photos of the SC setup (anyone know how to reduce the file size easily?)...hopefully, at some point, SAM can post a few newer photos along with a vid and dyno ultimately.

Last edited by ogiehooker; 11-13-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were are the pics / links?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:17 PM
ogiehooker

Unhappy links

the gtm link is in the body of the post...the pics wouldnt load because they are to large....have to find a program to reduce them...(im not too PC literate being Im so old an all!)....Im working on it...any advice is greatly appreciated to reduce the size.

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=536&page=1
Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 PM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you email them to me I will do it.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:27 PM
ogiehooker

Talking pic help

Thanks goblin! PM sent.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM
ogiehooker

Default 350z 5 at transmisssion pan

For all you 5 AT drivers, PML now makes a transmission pan for your car that does NOT have to be modified like I did.....I originally bought the pan from PML and did the research/build for the prototype pan..now its offred in a low profile version with different finishes..make sure to get the temp probe modification while you are at it.

You CAN fir the deeper titan pan (3.5 qts increased capacity) But you better not have the car lowered or you will hit! I used the tanabe underbrace to protect my pan as it is lowered with the modified (like the low profile model) pan. Also, My titan pan was baffled and from the PML photos, the new low profile isnt...I dont know if it makes a difference or not.

Hope this helps some of you.

http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11091.php

Last edited by ogiehooker; 11-13-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 PM
ogiehooker

Smile Photos finally!!!

see attached files.
Attached Thumbnails 5 at sc to gtm tt build-350-z-engine-best-photo-right-side-view.jpg   5 at sc to gtm tt build-350z-engine-best-photo-left-side-view.jpg   5 at sc to gtm tt build-350z-front-spoiler-oil-cooler-cutouts-closeup.jpg   5 at sc to gtm tt build-350z-front-spoiler.jpg   5 at sc to gtm tt build-best-photo-head-on-engine.jpg  

Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 PM
ogiehooker

Default trans pan, coolers

more photos! The 2 rear tow hooks were added my me since the GTM TT it eliminates the std hook placement/crash bar.
Attached Thumbnails 5 at sc to gtm tt build-350z-modified-trans-pan-inside-view.jpg   5 at sc to gtm tt build-350z-pml-modified-trans-pan.jpg   5 at sc to gtm tt build-350z-rear-carbon-diffuser-oil-coolers-closeup.jpg   5 at sc to gtm tt build-350z-rear-carbon-diffuser-twin-oil-coolers.jpg   5 at sc to gtm tt build-billet-reservoirs.jpg  

Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

suscribed
Old 11-13-2011, 07:47 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck on your build. My car also just made it to Sam at the beginning of the month for a differnet project. Hope all goes well. By the way, how much power did you make with your old setup?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Eno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interested to see how this works out. Being a reasonably high output AT I'm VERY interested in this built trans you're talking about. Who made yours? Did you go to that modified chev transmission and despense with the Nissan completely?

I'm edgy because though I'm being told mine (from IPT) can handle "over 500hp/tq all day long" on a Titan... I don't have any hard numbers. I guess it's tough to put a rating on something like that- but 800? THAT is a built trans!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 AM
ogiehooker

Default Built trans

The trans was built by IPT..I also had reservations about being able to hit 700+, but TY said he'd guarantee it for 12 mo 12,000 iles at that power level so I went that route...I have been looking into the th400 but decided a 4l80e (th 400 with a 4th gear overdrive) would better suit my desires.

If we find that the stock built tranny wont hold the power, we will convert it at roughly the cost of a built nissan tranny. Thee trannys (th400 derivatives, can hold 1200+ WHP and that "they are just getting comfortable at 900 whp".

The old sc etup produced 373 whp on a DD tuned by karel lacai in Miami.

While Sam posted on his site that the engine was CAPABLE of 800 whp, he has suggested that it be tuned to 600ish...

One of my desires was to engineer some cooling mods to help the inherently troublesome, high operating temps, so its a little bit of a tinkering project, R and D hobby for me.

depending on what part of the country I land in (I am looking for a new job contract) it may also be tuned on E85 so injector dynamic 2000cc injectors were purchased to replace the 880cc APS extreme fuel system injectors.

The forum here has helped me GREATLY while I researched over the past 2 yrs as to how to go about FI....made a LOT of mistake along the wway but nothing to devestating. Thanks guys for posting great info here!

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=536&page=1
Old 11-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Eno

IPT strikes again eh? I'll have to talk to these guys again. Don't remember who I talked to the first time but I was given no such guaranty. It would definitely ease my mind about driving the car the way it wants to be driven.

Keep up the good work! Pretty incredible so far.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 AM
str8dum1

When do you expect completion? Feb or March? Which turbo kit again?

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-14-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 AM
ogiehooker

due to the possibility of a continuing build, I am not sure when It will be complete..but I suspect feb or march as you state....we will see...

Turbos are stage 3, t3071R .86 a/r, thermal coated.

The engine has been built for a month or so already before I shipped the car so I asssume its just a matter of getting to it, dropping the engine in and performing whatever upgrades I'd like.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 AM
str8dum1

good deal. Good luck with the build!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While Sam posted on his site that the engine was CAPABLE of 800 whp, he has suggested that it be tuned to 600ish...
Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 AM
str8dum1

i'd imagine for transmission sake...
Old 11-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Mike@GTM

Originally Posted by Cass007
This is the same engine XKR is running. The reason for our lower power recommendation is the transmission. Even still, 600whp is a lot of power to run through the 5AT even when built.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:20 AM
moreboost13

can't wait to see this thing finished D!

Last edited by moreboost13; 01-03-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 5 at sc to gtm tt build