Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stock MAF vs Uprev GT MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Stock MAF vs Uprev GT MAF

Can any show the differance between the Stock MAF and the Uprev GT MAF.

As in, Air Flow (CFM) vs Voltage

either in a Graph or Table form.

I think this will help people undestand what it is doing.

To say that it supports High Horse Power forced induction does not tell us what we all need to know.

UpRev MAF GT sensor will read almost 180% the air flow range of the factory sensor while allowing stable idle air flow measurements. If you have a Nissan or Infiniti vehicle that you're adding Forced Induction to, you will need this upgraded MAF Sensor. We've worked for many years to offer a MAF sensor that we can put our name on. Finally we have the right sensor. Years of being the only manufacturer to support Forced Induction properly on the Nissan vehicles using the factory ECU has allowed us to understand what our customers need and this is the product we've brought to market.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:16 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sooooo, the more air flow, the more voltage you need. This MAF extends the voltage past the stock range. Since FI exceeds the stock whp by 100, 200, 300whp, this MAF allows the ECU to see it and tune it accordingly.

The alternative to a MAF is tuning by MAP, which requires a standalone to mask the higher MAF voltage and keep it happy, while still being able to produce monstrous hp.

Last edited by kacz07; 12-22-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
OldManZ350

Thanks,

I want to see Numbers.....

Extends the Voltage past stock range....
How much? to what Voltage?

So, you are saying it's the same as stock up to 5 Volts?

This is why I asked for a Graph or Table "Stock vs Uprev GT"

Originally Posted by kacz07
Sooooo, the more air flow, the more voltage you need. This MAF extends the voltage past the stock range.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I have a discussion with Vince at RT about this.

I believe stock is 5.0v. So, it looks like you can take the UpRev GT MAF to 9.0v. I forgot what who the stock MAF maxes out at, but I THINK it was 450whp.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kacz07
Yeah, I have a discussion with Vince at RT about this.

I believe stock is 5.0v. So, it looks like you can take the UpRev GT MAF to 9.0v. I forgot what who the stock MAF maxes out at, but I THINK it was 450whp.
I don't think it reads 9.0V. I believe it is still 0-5V but it is scaled different. Let's say 500cfm with the OEM sensor will get you 4.0V, the same 500cfm will read 2.2V with the GT sesor. It also depends on the diameter of the tube the sensor is in.

In my experience in the electronics field, you simply can not feed more than 5V in to an IC that is built to work on a 0-5V scale. Same goes for 4-20mA circuits.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 12-22-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They are both 5V max. The difference is that the aftermarket MAF are reprogrammed or otherwise scaled for higher flow.

For example, the stock MAF maxes out at about 400whp or so (5V) where the PMAS flows around double that before hitting 5V. I don't have hard numbers (since nobody really pushes the limits of Uprev) but I'm pretty sure someone made close to 700whp with a PMAS without maxing it out.

No idea about the flow rate of the Uprev GT MAF...it's pretty new. From what I have heard, it flows similar to the PMAS but has better idle resolution.

Last edited by djamps; 12-22-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I don't think it reads 9.0V. I believe it is still 0-5V but it is scaled different. Let's say 500cfm with the OEM sensor will get you 4.0V, the same 500cfm will read 2.2V with the GT sesor. It also depends on the diameter of the tube the sensor is in.

In my experience in the electronics field, you simply can not feed more than 5V in to an IC that is built to work on a 0-5V scale. Same goes for 4-20mA circuits.
^This.
From what I know about these things, I'm pretty sure that this is right, too.
Sorry, but what do you think a set of numbers is going to do for you? If you Google PID controller (not sure if our MAF's are literally PID, or not, but the point remains) and you fully understand some of those hideous transfer functions/integrals/calculus, I suppose the numbers could help you out, but if not, I don't see how it would benefit you.
Is something wrong with your car and you're trying to narrow down a diagnosis?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
OldManZ350

So then, isn't the resolution basically cut in half?

Originally Posted by djamps
They are both 5V max. The difference is that the aftermarket MAF are reprogrammed or otherwise scaled for higher flow.

For example, the stock MAF maxes out at about 400whp or so (5V) where the PMAS flows around double that before hitting 5V. I don't have hard numbers (since nobody really pushes the limits of Uprev) but I'm pretty sure someone made close to 700whp with a PMAS without maxing it out.

No idea about the flow rate of the Uprev GT MAF...it's pretty new. From what I have heard, it flows similar to the PMAS but has better idle resolution.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:03 PM
BlinkerFluid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Yes.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:51 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Pretty much. And in the case of PMAS there is practically no idle resolution and they transfer function varies from MAF to MAF. You have to use a bit of creativity in the tune to get things 'stock like'. *SUPPOSEDLY* the GT MAF resolves some of the inconsistency and idle resolution issues of the PMAS. I don't know any first hand experience yet.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

rcdash or anyone with osiris tuner could get in and do a screen capture on the software. I can't get into it anymore but if you clicked "pmas" for the maf selection it would load up all the load values for the pmas linked to the voltages. You could look at that and compare it to the stock one if you wanted.

Those numbers won't do much good outside of tuning with osiris but you can at least look between stock to pmas to compare.

I'm curious what you have cooking in your head Tim. You use SS box which has nothing to do with maf tuning so you've got me wondering....
Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 PM
djamps

The PMAS table is 100% useless in osiris. I'm not even sure how useful it would be in comparing the two, as uprev may have changed other fueling values like K or fuel tables before calibrating the MAF.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:38 PM
binder

The PMAS table is 100% useless in osiris. I'm not even sure how useful it would be in comparing the two, as uprev may have changed other fueling values like K or fuel tables before calibrating the MAF.
hmm, my car wouldn't run with the pmas in unless i had the pmas selected so it has to obviously change the values otherwise i could have swapped them back and forth. The values in them were wildly different at each voltage.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
BlinkerFluid

I had the same results. I tried compensating with K value but couldn't get it right and ended up building my own MAF table to get the PMAS to work.

Now I only use Osiris tuner for idle and turning off OBD codes since I picked up a Haltech. I haven't looked back.

I'll grab my cable out of my car tomorrow and take screenshots of my table and stock.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a SC titan that i did a few pulls on a stock maf and then switched to an UPREV GT maf. ill see if I can get some screen shots tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 PM
binder

Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid
I had the same results. I tried compensating with K value but couldn't get it right and ended up building my own MAF table to get the PMAS to work.
weird, maybe each pmas is different. Mine was spot on. Hal used it for about half a day of tuning until i decided i just needed a haltech. He didn't seem to have any issues with the pmas and using the pmas table.

I just realized what could be done to map it out for flow. I'm not sure if cipher does this but i know my innovate stuff does so Tim you can do this:

Log maf voltage and flow rate (gpm i think) then put in your GT maf and do the same. Then you can compare the flow rate for the same voltages in logworks.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:06 PM
konrad

If the GT maf and the Pmas reads gives off half the voltage than OEM at the same air flow, why not just add a resistor on the signal wire with the OEM sensor?
I wonder if that would work, It would take some testing and calculations to get the proper resistor but if it works it would be much cheaper than GT maf
Old 12-23-2011, 08:25 PM
binder

Originally Posted by konrad
If the GT maf and the Pmas reads gives off half the voltage than OEM at the same air flow, why not just add a resistor on the signal wire with the OEM sensor?
I wonder if that would work, It would take some testing and calculations to get the proper resistor but if it works it would be much cheaper than GT maf
that's true. If you are using osiris and have to modify the maf table anyways for the special maf you might as well save some money and use the stock one. Lol
Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 PM
OldManZ350

I could do that, but I think I would need a Complete Retune with the GT. This is part of the reason I brought up this subject.

Originally Posted by binder
weird, maybe each pmas is different. Mine was spot on. Hal used it for about half a day of tuning until i decided i just needed a haltech. He didn't seem to have any issues with the pmas and using the pmas table.

I just realized what could be done to map it out for flow. I'm not sure if cipher does this but i know my innovate stuff does so Tim you can do this:

Log maf voltage and flow rate (gpm i think) then put in your GT maf and do the same. Then you can compare the flow rate for the same voltages in logworks.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:17 AM
djamps

Any time you change to a different kind of MAF you need a retune. @binder you got lucky... my car ran better on the stock MAF table than the PMAS LOL. I ended up building a log analysis tool that created a new MAF table for me, which ended up looking nothing like the Uprev table.

Quick Reply: Stock MAF vs Uprev GT MAF