Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Engine parts needed to support boost.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:05 AM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine parts needed to support boost.

I've been looking into boosting my Z possibly by years end and I have been reading and searching some on the idea. I will be looking into the Turbonetics ST kit since I like the idea of a single turbo for daily driving use as the engine will stay in vacuum most of the time (engine longevity and reliability). So far I have learned the stock crank is good for 900hp and the stock heads and cams are great and flow good enough to make decent numbers.

So from my research I have put together a list of items I will need.

Bore block 0.020 over, hot tank it and clean. (Already have a local shop that can do this)
CP Forged Pistons 8.5:1 96mm 0.020 over
Eagle H Rods
Oem Nissan Crank & Rod Bearings
Oem Nissan VQ Gasket Set
ARP L19 Head Stud Kit
ARP Main Stud Kit
600cc Injectors
NGK #6 Heat Range One Step Colder Plugs

So far that's my list but what kind of head gaskets would I need? Cometic .030 thickness?

My goal would be 400-450whp but not sure at how many lbs of boost I would need, I would like to stay on pump gas as well. Currently my engine has 107K miles on it and is is great running condition with no oil consumption or any other issues. Some people would say the Tn ST kit would be ok on my stock block but I am not willing to take that chance since I know I wont be running it at the amount of boost they set it for.

What engine management would I need?
Would I need a boost controller?
Turbo Timer?

If I have missed anything let me know. I am still researching and learning everything I can before I even start on this...

Edit: Also looking into Wiseso pistons too, 8.8:1 96mm

Last edited by STL 350Z; 01-15-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added plugs...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are going to build your engine, you should consider other turbo kits. The TN kit is known to have issues, and you will find this through some searching.

Go with UpRev for your goals.
EBC is a good investment, many options out there.
No need for a turbo timer IMO, just take it easy (driving) before you park it.
8.8:1 is fine.

Head gaskets:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...n-which-2.html

Other things to consider:

Exhaust system
Clutch/flywheel
Tires
Headers, IMO a must with built engines (some here will disagree though)

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 01-14-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
If you are going to build your engine, you should consider other turbo kits. The TN kit is known to have issues, and you will find this through some searching.

Go with UpRev for your goals.
EBC is a good investment, many options out there.
No need for a turbo timer IMO, just take it easy (driving) before you park it.
8.8:1 is fine.

Head gaskets:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...n-which-2.html

Other things to consider:

Exhaust system
Clutch/flywheel
Tires
Headers, IMO a must with built engines (some here will disagree though)
Still doing a lot of reading... some people it's hit or miss with the TN kit but I have not set that kit in stone yet. I used to own an STI and I had a turbo timer for "piece of mind"... I still have it laying around somewhere so I may or may not use it.

Undecided on an exhaust right now... if I do go with the TN kit I will prob look into a used Nismo system or a Fujitsubo Legalis R.

New ACT steetlight flywheel and Exedy clutch are sitting in my floor right now.

Undecided on wheels and tires as I would like at least 10 or 10.5 in the rear running 285-295.

Never thought about headers... TN kit uses the stock mani's so that wouldn't be an issue.

Also need to make a list of small things like gauges, heat wrap.... etc... etc
Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 AM
STL 350Z

About head gaskets..... since boring out the block to 0.020 over the HR head gasket wouldn't work would it? Wouldn't I need the Cometic 96mm .030 or the 96.5mm .030? This is the only thing to confuse me thus far.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are building the motor, I dont know why you would even consider the tn kit. Boosted, Momentum, and even PowerLab offer much better options for singles.

If that is all the power you are looking for, just get a vortech and save a couple thousand dollars and a few headaches.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
If you are building the motor, I dont know why you would even consider the tn kit. Boosted, Momentum, and even PowerLab offer much better options for singles.

If that is all the power you are looking for, just get a vortech and save a couple thousand dollars and a few headaches.
I'll take this into consideration. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI viper remote start alarm has turbo timer function... so if you're thinking about ever doing remote start you can kill two birds so to speak.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:00 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

FYI they dont make an L19 main stud kit
Old 01-14-2012, 03:23 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, stock block will do 400hp just fine. No need to build for that. Huge expense for no reason.

Are you in STL (st louis) or is your screen name just funky? I'm in st louis.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by djamps
FYI viper remote start alarm has turbo timer function... so if you're thinking about ever doing remote start you can kill two birds so to speak.
Would be nice to have remote start in the summer!

Originally Posted by dikspiel
FYI they dont make an L19 main stud kit
Thanks for catching that man! Fixed...

Originally Posted by binder
ya, stock block will do 400hp just fine. No need to build for that. Huge expense for no reason.

Are you in STL (st louis) or is your screen name just funky? I'm in st louis.
I want the piece of mind that forged internals provide as it opens doors to many upgrades down the road and more boost too. Plus I don't care to spend the money doing it and it should be fun for a summer project.

STL is actually my initials.

Last edited by STL 350Z; 01-14-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Dragonbreath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO I would go with the boosted performance kit. It's at a very reasonable price too. Uprev would be a good management as stated earlier.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 PM
binder

Originally Posted by STL 350Z
STL is actually my initials.
bummer. thought there were some more vq's in the area.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STL - The TN kit on a built block is overkill. You will be very limited with power and you will eventually regret making that choice. If money is a factor, consider the BP single kit since it is easily upgradable. Consider Momentum as well, but it will cost more.

The JWT clutch is affordable and will hold power while driving like stock in feel. (just saw you already have the clutch... nevermind).

Tune with UpRev, simple and easy.

Turbo timers are just cool IMO, always liked seeing people walk away from their cars while its running and it just shuts off. I never had one, but they appeal to the kid in me.

If you are getting the block machined by an experienced VQ shop, ask them to do the cutout for the HR head gaskets. They are cheap and reliable. Stay away from Cometic. Use HKS or Cosworth if you choose not to do the HR mod on the block.

I had the Fujitsubo Legalis and LOVED it. Quiet around town and a nice growl to it under accelleration.

Overall, a couple of words of advice. If 400whp is truly your goal, you really don't need to build the block. You could just get a nice solid tune and have a fun car. There is always a chance the motor will blow, but the same can happen with a built block (trust me on that).

Finally, keep in mind that the little expenses add up quickly and its the supporting mods and install costs that can really crush you when the bill comes.

Best of luck and welcome to F/I.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Cass007

If you are getting the block machined by an experienced VQ shop, ask them to do the cutout for the HR head gaskets. They are cheap and reliable. Stay away from Cometic. Use HKS or Cosworth if you choose not to do the HR mod on the block.

why is everyone hating on cometic gaskets these days? I've never had an issue with them and i'm running 650hp now. There is nothing different between the sizes of cometic gaskets and the 100mm bore gaskets have been used up to 1000hp.

haters
Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 AM
STL 350Z

bummer. thought there were some more vq's in the area.
I am the only one in my area besides my buddies APS twined 03 touring... that never see's the light of day. Damn car sits in a garage and never moves.

Originally Posted by Cass007
STL - The TN kit on a built block is overkill. You will be very limited with power and you will eventually regret making that choice. If money is a factor, consider the BP single kit since it is easily upgradable. Consider Momentum as well, but it will cost more.

The JWT clutch is affordable and will hold power while driving like stock in feel. (just saw you already have the clutch... nevermind).

Tune with UpRev, simple and easy.

Turbo timers are just cool IMO, always liked seeing people walk away from their cars while its running and it just shuts off. I never had one, but they appeal to the kid in me.

I had the Fujitsubo Legalis and LOVED it. Quiet around town and a nice growl to it under accelleration.

Overall, a couple of words of advice. If 400whp is truly your goal, you really don't need to build the block. You could just get a nice solid tune and have a fun car. There is always a chance the motor will blow, but the same can happen with a built block (trust me on that).

Finally, keep in mind that the little expenses add up quickly and its the supporting mods and install costs that can really crush you when the bill comes.

Best of luck and welcome to F/I.
Per the research and reading I have done about the stock block holding 400whp I still worry about having 107K miles on it and by the time I gather everything it will have more miles on it. I have the worst luck in the world man... so I think I will go ahead and build anyway.

I will look into those head gasket options but i am still confused that if bored .020 over what size gasket to get. 96mm or 96.5? Any input?

Yup got the clutch and flywheel just haaaaaaangin out.

Uprev is looking like what I will tune with.

Turbo timers are cool and I always enjoyed the looks of confusion from people when I walked away and my car stopped running. Girls were all the time saying "Sir! You left your car running!!!" oh and the day I some how locked my keys in my STI at college and the turbo timer (the ONLY time it did this) didnt cut off! Yes... my STI ran while I was in classes for 5 hours becuase I could not get a locksmith or cop to come unlock the car. Eventually had to get my father to drive to a dealership to get a key made. Good thing I had a full tank. And yes... it appeals to the kid in me too even at 30 years old

The shop I have chosen had been in business 15+ years and a friends father uses them for every restoration he does. This friend also had 2 RB blocks bored, decked, hot tanked and cleaned there and never had any issues so they seem like a confident shop.

There is lots of good information here on the forums but sometimes it can be a challenge to find exactly what I was looking for. I was kinda thinking I would get flamed for asking but everyone has been very helpful thus far and I really appreciate all the help I can get.

why is everyone hating on cometic gaskets these days? I've never had an issue with them and i'm running 650hp now. There is nothing different between the sizes of cometic gaskets and the 100mm bore gaskets have been used up to 1000hp.

haters
I would like to know what issues people are having with cometic for them to say stay away.

Last edited by STL 350Z; 01-15-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:09 AM
350zfan1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck OP

Undertaking my basic TT kit build soon also minus the built block.

Personally think 400+ hp on a Z is plenty end of story.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:32 AM
binder

96mm will work fine. I think they size the gaskets appropriately for a 96mm piston. Let me double check my purchase history but i'm almost certain on the last 2 tear downs i've ordered 96mm cometics for my .020 sized bore without any issues.

as for the cometics getting a bad rap. Their first models did not include the stopper rings in them and they would fail at high horsepower. This was also before ARP made the L19 head studs which are able to be torqued down quite a bit more. Both of those factors caused the cometics to fail. They have been redesigned now. I'm pretty certain that all head gaskets made for the 350z include a stopper ring gasket now.

edit: confirmed 96mm cometic is what i've ordered on all my tear downs.

Last edited by binder; 01-15-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by 350zfan1
Good luck OP

Undertaking my basic TT kit build soon also minus the built block.

Personally think 400+ hp on a Z is plenty end of story.
Yeah 400whp is minimum goal cause I think that's plenty. Good luck to you as well!

96mm will work fine. I think they size the gaskets appropriately for a 96mm piston. Let me double check my purchase history but i'm almost certain on the last 2 tear downs i've ordered 96mm cometics for my .020 sized bore without any issues.

as for the cometics getting a bad rap. Their first models did not include the stopper rings in them and they would fail at high horsepower. This was also before ARP made the L19 head studs which are able to be torqued down quite a bit more. Both of those factors caused the cometics to fail. They have been redesigned now. I'm pretty certain that all head gaskets made for the 350z include a stopper ring gasket now.

edit: confirmed 96mm cometic is what i've ordered on all my tear downs.
Thanks for confirming that for me... so far it's the only thing that's really confused me up to this point. So with them now having the stopper rings would everyone say they would be ok to use on my build?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just a fyi on more upgrade options for sashas kit, in addition to the big turbo he is working on turbonetics just released a f1-65 1.52 a/r divided turbine housing. i was told by precision 1.32 flowed about the same as the .96 open so a bit more flow there and minimal if any spool delay if using a qsv, they make it for the 68mm turbine wheels too, SOL on the new 66 though 1.32 is the best you can get.(the turbonetics housing fit on the precision turbos)

Last edited by jerryd87; 01-15-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

VQ engine parts to support boost? Chuck Norris can't even help you with this

Quick Reply: Engine parts needed to support boost.