Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Carbonetic Triple Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 AM
psychoballistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbonetic Triple Clutch Question

Hey all,

Been ripping my car apart the past few days, and have everything laid out and apart for some maintenance and upgrades.

In the removal process of taking the motor out, I disassembled my Clutch to inspect it, and I am unsure what to think with the clutch discs. I took photos in order of how they were in front and back from pressure plate towards flywheel. I've attached a link to my online album for just the disks for review.

The discs look a little burned up, but appears to be plenty of life there. I have been hard on the car this year, but there are only about 12k on this. It didn't slip prior to removing and drove fine. Was thinking worst case scenario I could replace just what I need like the discs or what not, but figured i'd see what the community thinks. Thanks guys!

Phil's Carbonetic Clutch photos
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can you get thickness specs from carbonetics?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

pretty major hot spots on the steel plates.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 AM
psychoballistic

I left a message for them... Waiting to hear back, will try again later this afternoon... If this were any other clutch I would just be done with it. But it was feeling great not slipping at all prior. Wondering if other who have pushed this clutch hard have seen similar results with lots of life span left.

Anyone know of cutting the flywheel on these clutches too?

Rich, what clutch are you running these days btw?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by djamps
pretty major hot spots on the steel plates.
Yes, I agree... That is why I am curious... What kind of life have others experienced with this clutch. I've heard of some people just hitting plates with a scotch pad, but not sure I like that idea.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Geez....does that mean you got about $4 a mile outta your clutch?? jk
Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 AM
psychoballistic

Lol, it was a pretty hard 12,000 miles this year. About 6,000 highway driving, but a couple days at the track plus the friday night grudge matching. Most of the time I ran around ~16-17psi (600whp) so I would think think ideally there is more life left, but the hot spots like Djamps is exactly why concerned me.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will most likely get a call back from a man with a thick asian accent, that is who I spoke with twice when researching the clutch for possible triple upgrade for a potential buyer. Good luck understanding him if its the same guy, but he will have the specs you are asking for in terms of disc thickness.

Have your specs ready for him and he will tell you if they are good or not. Also, make sure EVERYTHING stays in the same order and facing the same way or bad juju my man. Lastly, if you clean everything up nice its possible you will get louder than normal chatter for a bit until everything is coated in dust again.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:29 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by Cass007
You will most likely get a call back from a man with a thick asian accent, that is who I spoke with twice when researching the clutch for possible triple upgrade for a potential buyer. Good luck understanding him if its the same guy, but he will have the specs you are asking for in terms of disc thickness.

Have your specs ready for him and he will tell you if they are good or not. Also, make sure EVERYTHING stays in the same order and facing the same way or bad juju my man. Lastly, if you clean everything up nice its possible you will get louder than normal chatter for a bit until everything is coated in dust again.
Thanks Cass, I took everything out exactly as it was installed and then tied it together so nothing can change. I have a micrometer that I will check thickness of tonight. Did you have heat spots similar too?

Appreciate the help guys!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
Thanks Cass, I took everything out exactly as it was installed and then tied it together so nothing can change. I have a micrometer that I will check thickness of tonight. Did you have heat spots similar too?

Appreciate the help guys!
No heat spots on mine... it had very light use, even the outer cover and logo look brand new.

STILL FOR SALE FOR $1000 BISHES!!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 PM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine looked similar the FOURTH FING time I pulled it...I'm not worried..about to pull it AGAIN for another T/O bearing....getting really good at it..'

I guess I'll use a stock T/O bearing this time..wth..
Old 01-18-2012, 03:40 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Kenari is a a busy guy.

I have all the inspection sheets if he doesn't get back to you.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by meatbag
Kenari is a a busy guy.

I have all the inspection sheets if he doesn't get back to you.
That's what I heard... If you wouldn't mind shooting me a copy of them, I would really appreciate it.

Tom, you have similar heat markings on yours too and no slippage or any issues of the sort other then your TO bearing still?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 AM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
That's what I heard... If you wouldn't mind shooting me a copy of them, I would really appreciate it.

Tom, you have similar heat markings on yours too and no slippage or any issues of the sort other then your TO bearing still?
Heat marks are similar..yours looks like it has a little more..but no slippage at all, I can still mat it in third and roast the tires....still clueless about the TO...like I said..gonna try a stock one this time..
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by RED RIDER
Heat marks are similar..yours looks like it has a little more..but no slippage at all, I can still mat it in third and roast the tires....still clueless about the TO...like I said..gonna try a stock one this time..
Off topic quick, but before you bolt everything back up, make sure to check the throw so that it will engage the pressure plate. I have a side by side of the two sleeves that I may or may not have sent you. I use the Nissan TO and sleeve that Carbonetics suggest which I believe is for the Xterras, and have had ZERO issues. I'll send you the photo of the difference in sleeves if you want.

If my thickness is still good, I think i'll put it back in and try it. Once I have the specs, i'll check everything with the micrometer this weekend. I feel better knowing that others do have heat markings though.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those marks are normal, just like seeing them on rotors on hard driven cars.

His specs will truly tell the tale.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by Alberto
Those marks are normal, just like seeing them on rotors on hard driven cars.

His specs will truly tell the tale.
Thanks Bert, the marks have been my biggest question. Feeling much more confident now then I did upon originally posting.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That clutch has seen some NASTY ABUSE from me.

It is the only part of my car that has yet to fail me. Been at 500-700whp and holds 688ft/lbs with my shifting on my setup.

Beast clutch. So easy to drive my GF even takes the car out every now and then.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:22 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by Alberto
That clutch has seen some NASTY ABUSE from me.

It is the only part of my car that has yet to fail me. Been at 500-700whp and holds 688ft/lbs with my shifting on my setup.

Beast clutch. So easy to drive my GF even takes the car out every now and then.
That sounds very similar to me... I beat the hell out of it on the highways and around town and it all felt great... Knock on wood the whole tear down is voluntary... Got Kirk at Boost Lab swapping out upgraded thrust bearings and billet wheels, so addressing all concerns now is the best time.

Thanks for all the help guys, it is very much appreciated!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

3.9mm per carbon disk is brand new

I think the service manual for it says anything above 2.0mm is safe. Let me see if i can find the info. I know if it starts to slip you have to shim it to get the most pressure on the plates as they thin down.

Quick Reply: Carbonetic Triple Clutch Question