Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Its official! ATI/Procharger aint gotta clue!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 01:45 PM
swinke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jesseenglish
EJ's A/F ratios are fine, he gets detonation because of timing.
I am not getting det anymore. I am still running lean. I have ramped the timing to kill the det problem. I started with the same problem.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:48 PM
jesseenglish

I'm not doubting your technical expertise, and I know what it's like to be **** about a self install because I did mine too. We're just saying that it could be something else. If you are sure that everything is perfect. I suggest you call ATI and ask them about it. You might have a bad FMU.

I'll look up the build date on mine, but I highly doubt they'd put different injectors in your car because that would take a lot of R&D to do and why would they waste the money on something that already works fine.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:50 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by swinke
In some circles this may not matter but I design and build broadband CATV systems for a living. The details that have to be observed in my daily work life are finite in comparison to the crude matter of tuning a FI, computer controlled, fuel injected car. I have checked everything mentioned in this thread at least twice before today. I did the install myself. I am very **** about most things I get involved in. My technical acumen far exceeds 99.9% of the people I meet in my field. I am certain I have not left out any detail that would cause this issue. There is something very different about my car/kit than yours, obviously. Let’s try and figure out what it is. EJ has this very same issue. It’s not just me here.
And I am a software and controls engineer that "wastes" all his money (and anybody else's he gets his hands on) on building, tuning, and racing cars. I also do some work on these things part time at a shop. Lets see...3.93 gpa in college, president's list, multiple achievement awards, blah, blah, blah....I'm just trying to help.

And EJ does not have the same issue at all...
Old 12-26-2003, 01:51 PM
jesseenglish

I will try that. That’s what I was looking for. Hadn’t thought of that one yet.
The voltage out to the pump is a PWM signal. I don't know how your logger operates, but mine doesn't like PWM signals. You might have to grab an oscope, I know I did
Old 12-26-2003, 01:56 PM
swinke

The voltage out to the pump is a PWM signal. I don't know how your logger operates, but mine doesn't like PWM signals. You might have to grab an oscope, I know I did
I have an HP broadband analyzer on hand but its functions are all preset. I don’t believe my Fluke true RMS will work either seeing as it only averages for 60hz cycle. Are you sure the pump signal is PWM? Why go through all the trouble just to modulate/regulate a DC source device?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:00 PM
swinke

I'm not doubting your technical expertise, and I know what it's like to be **** about a self install because I did mine too. We're just saying that it could be something else. If you are sure that everything is perfect. I suggest you call ATI and ask them about it. You might have a bad FMU.

I'll look up the build date on mine, but I highly doubt they'd put different injectors in your car because that would take a lot of R&D to do and why would they waste the money on something that already works fine.
It’s not uncommon for car manufacturers to change things in the first production run of a car. Who knows? I am looking for anything odd at this point.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:08 PM
jesseenglish

I have an HP broadband analyzer on hand but its functions are all preset. I don’t believe my Fluke true RMS will work either seeing as it only averages for 60hz cycle. Are you sure the pump signal is PWM? Why go through all the trouble just to modulate/regulate a DC source device?
Yes, I'm sure unfortunately. It's because the FMU is completely digital so it's the easiest way for them to regulate the DC voltage.

I understand about anything odd, but this engine is used in more than just the 350Z and I believe they all use the same injectors.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:10 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

EJ has this very same issue. It’s not just me here.
thats correct......i do have the same issue, although my data appears to point to the timing.......noahbuddy also has mentioned that he gets detonation.........i think we can safely say that all of those whose engines have gone "KABOOM", at one time, had this problem also

Last edited by elektrik_juggernaut; 12-26-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:14 PM
jesseenglish

Yours isn't an A/F ratio problem though right? It's a timing issue which is not what swinke's problem is.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:16 PM
swinke

Originally posted by GaryK
And I am a software and controls engineer that "wastes" all his money (and anybody else's he gets his hands on) on building, tuning, and racing cars. I also do some work on these things part time at a shop. Lets see...3.93 gpa in college, president's list, multiple achievement awards, blah, blah, blah....I'm just trying to help.

And EJ does not have the same issue at all...
Does EJ have WB-o2 w/ logging? I would not know if I didn’t. If I could not log and just relied on viewing a small gauge I would probably never see what I am seeing. It does not exceed 12.4:1 until I reach about 6.3krpm. The time between 6.3k rpm and redline is about 1-1.5 seconds. He and I described the exact same problem before the E-Manage install. I am at 500' above sea level. Its 35deg here today. The correction factor for this is pretty extreme compared to where Jesse lives. All these things play into the outcome when you’re running on the edge.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:16 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Are you sure the pump signal is PWM? Why go through all the trouble just to modulate/regulate a DC source device?
Yeah, that seem like overkill to me too
Old 12-26-2003, 02:19 PM
swinke

Yes, I'm sure unfortunately. It's because the FMU is completely digital so it's the easiest way for them to regulate the DC voltage.

I understand about anything odd, but this engine is used in more than just the 350Z and I believe they all use the same injectors.
Well that sucks. So what they did was just upped the cycle time on the 350Z instead of putting in larger injectors for the extra HP that the Z makes that the Pathfinder does'nt?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:21 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Yours isn't an A/F ratio problem though right? It's a timing issue which is not what swinke's problem is.
well that depends on how you look at it.......i shouldn't be stuck at an 11.8:1 AF as my richest setting, but thats as rich as the FMU will let me go at the highest RPM/boost levels........i should be able to get more fuel than that in there, to get the 11-11.5:1 that i'd like to have
Old 12-26-2003, 02:25 PM
swinke

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
well that depends on how you look at it.......i shouldn't be stuck at an 11.8:1 AF as my richest setting, but thats as rich as the FMU will let me go at the highest RPM/boost levels........i should be able to get more fuel than that in there, to get the 11-11.5:1 that i'd like to have
This is what I am talking about guys. There are a few of us that have the same issues. EJ can’t get enough fuel either. The rest of you can get more than enough. Our Z's are different somehow. We need to figure out why. Or in my case just keep replacing $hit until it runs right. Could sure use a winning lottery ticket or a good stock tip to finance the rest of this Z project.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:33 PM
jesseenglish

I really doubt our Z's are different. It could be any one of a dozen things. I'm not gonna list every possible thing, but here's my short list.

aux fuel pumps not as efficient
Bad FMU/transducer
pinched boost line
leaking boost line/vacuum tree/bypass valve line
weak alternator
pinched/kinked fuel line
dirty/clogged injector/s
dirty fuel filter
weak stock fuel pump
Old 12-26-2003, 02:41 PM
swinke

I really doubt our Z's are different. It could be any one of a dozen things. I'm not gonna list every possible thing, but here's my short list.

aux fuel pumps not as efficient
Bad FMU/transducer
pinched boost line
leaking boost line/vacuum tree/bypass valve line
weak alternator
pinched/kinked fuel line
dirty/clogged injector/s
dirty fuel filter
weak stock fuel pump
How many miles on yours?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:45 PM
jesseenglish

Build date on mine is February 03. 6600 miles so far with 3000 with the Procharger
Old 12-26-2003, 04:25 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swinke, your from greenville nc right? if your ever in raleigh let me know, i'd like to check out your logging or compare it to on my car, i'm not having the issues your having w/ the fuel.

-Bill
Old 12-26-2003, 05:38 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

make sure there is no check valve in the aux pump you chose...

also, make sure the check valve in the fuel line "loop" around the aux pump is in the right direction.

you can see someone's mistake on this here: http://home.earthlink.net/~micfly/returnless1.htm

m
Old 12-26-2003, 05:51 PM
swinke

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
make sure there is no check valve in the aux pump you chose...

also, make sure the check valve in the fuel line "loop" around the aux pump is in the right direction.

you can see someone's mistake on this here: http://home.earthlink.net/~micfly/returnless1.htm

m
Aux pump came with the kit from ATI. If it had a check valve I would have blown the motor by now.

Quick Reply: Its official! ATI/Procharger aint gotta clue!