Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Its official! ATI/Procharger aint gotta clue!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 08:51 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it sounds like, in order to make some power with the ATI kit and have good reliability, a person should just buy the tuner kit, some injectors, a fuel pump and get a TS flash? SOUNDS easy enough. Is it?
Actually it is that easy, not the route everyone is taking and not the only route but the route I chose and works for me. Except I took the long way to get there.

Cool Swinke thanks, now run with the torche and break new ground!
Old 12-27-2003, 08:58 PM
swinke

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
So it sounds like, in order to make some power with the ATI kit and have good reliability, a person should just buy the tuner kit, some injectors, a fuel pump and get a TS flash? SOUNDS easy enough. Is it?
In my humble opinion the TS flash is a great way to go if your not very tech savvy and just want to drive your Z with what ever mediocre settings are programmed. If you are a TUNER and want peak output of your Z from season to season and track to track you need control. The kind of control that you get from....say...all the above -TS flash, + E-Manage. Although the TS flash addresses other issues such as top speed limit and makes the factory maps a little closer so that other adjustments aren’t as severe and difficult to calculate. What I really would like to do is have the TS flash done now that I have the E-Manage so that I can raise the factory FUEL CUT rev limiter and put a soft-touch ignition based rev limiter in its place at 6600. It would have to help with long term reliability. Unfortunately nobody make a 6 channel rev limiter yet. (yes, I called MSD, Mallory, Accel, AEM, Greddy, HKS and J&S and asked them already. Did I miss anybody here?)
Old 12-27-2003, 09:03 PM
swinke

Originally posted by swinke
In my humble opinion the TS flash is a great way to go if your not very tech savvy and just want to drive your Z with what ever mediocre settings are programmed. If you are a TUNER and want peak output of your Z from season to season and track to track you need control. The kind of control that you get from....say...all the above -TS flash, + E-Manage. Although the TS flash addresses other issues such as top speed limit and makes the factory maps a little closer so that other adjustments aren’t as severe and difficult to calculate. What I really would like to do is have the TS flash done now that I have the E-Manage so that I can raise the factory FUEL CUT rev limiter and put a soft-touch ignition based rev limiter in its place at 6600. It would have to help with long term reliability. Unfortunately nobody make a 6 channel rev limiter yet. (yes, I called MSD, Mallory, Accel, AEM, Greddy, HKS and J&S and asked them already. Did I miss anybody here?)
That last post didn’t flow very well. I'm sure you all knew what I meant to say.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:05 PM
FLY BY Z

Well, I'm not too worried about track to track adjustabliity or season to season. The temp here fluctuates from about 25 degrees to 105 degrees. It has been between 45 and 95 this year except maybe a couple days. I think we have hit 30 here maybe once or twice this winter so far and that was middle of the night. So seasons aren't an issue. The car will see only one track and that is the 1/4 mile and that will be like two or three times a year. Otherwise, I just play about every two or three weekends. All I care about is staying faster than some friends. I race racecars for the real thing. The Z basically sits in the garage. Therefore, I want something RELIABLE as far as tuning goes. I do not care about adjustability. So I think Max's path is also mine.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:07 PM
jesseenglish

Why is it that when a few folks get lucky with the correct combination of factory parts, the lucky production run of the car from the factory, and may even have a high altitude home for the car that requires less fuel for their engine to exist happily w/o detonation they are always very quick to point out how the conclusions the rest of us have come up with must be ludicrous and ill thought out?

You obviously didn't read what I wrote. I was simply pointing out that it could be something else. If you wanna continue to believe it's something peculiar to your car go ahead, but why don't you just call the parts department at your local Nissan dealer and I'm 99.999% sure they can clear this up for you without too much trouble. It's not uncommon for more than one manufacturer to make the exact same part for the same car, so just because one is made by Hitachi and the other is made by Bosch it doesn't mean a thing.

Most of the time user error is to blame with problems. I was simply pointing that out.

First thing you did was jump to conclusions (read the title of this thread) after a little bit of logging and you blame it on ATI. You were sure it had to be them. Now you say it's something to do with your car. You exclaim that it can't be an install problem because you're a technical genius. Guess what.... Geniuses make mistakes too. That's all I'm saying.

Being an electronics technician you of all people should know that the logical troubleshooting process is to eliminate the simple things to fix first. If your pride isn't gonna allow you to check the things we mentioned and want to run around looking for a problem that might not be there I wish you the best of luck.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:42 PM
12SecZ

Thanks Swinke,

I should add that I do not have to travel for a living or go out of California if I did I would need dual mapping like you seem to be researching. Dual mapping that is proven to work on our cars of course.

Good Job.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:52 PM
swinke

Originally posted by 12SecZ
Thanks Swinke,

I should add that I do not have to travel for a living or go out of California if I did I would need dual mapping like you seem to be researching. Dual mapping that is proven to work on our cars of course.

Good Job.
I travel for my job full time. I am in NC now. The last jobsite I ran was in WA state, before that Redding CA, before that, Oregon coast,..TN, Tulsa OK, V.Beach VA, Pitts PA, Chicago, BFE MO, Detroit area and many other cities. This has been in the last 6 years. I think it’s important that I have control over my A/Fr mapping. Wouldn’t you agree?
Old 12-27-2003, 09:54 PM
swinke

Thanks Swinke,

Good Job.
You live anywhere near Redding? I’ve got some friends there in the tuner buis?
Old 12-27-2003, 10:02 PM
swinke

Originally posted by jesseenglish
You obviously didn't read what I wrote. I was simply pointing out that it could be something else. If you wanna continue to believe it's something peculiar to your car go ahead, but why don't you just call the parts department at your local Nissan dealer and I'm 99.999% sure they can clear this up for you without too much trouble. It's not uncommon for more than one manufacturer to make the exact same part for the same car, so just because one is made by Hitachi and the other is made by Bosch it doesn't mean a thing.

Most of the time user error is to blame with problems. I was simply pointing that out.

First thing you did was jump to conclusions (read the title of this thread) after a little bit of logging and you blame it on ATI. You were sure it had to be them. Now you say it's something to do with your car. You exclaim that it can't be an install problem because you're a technical genius. Guess what.... Geniuses make mistakes too. That's all I'm saying.

Being an electronics technician you of all people should know that the logical troubleshooting process is to eliminate the simple things to fix first. If your pride isn't gonna allow you to check the things we mentioned and want to run around looking for a problem that might not be there I wish you the best of luck.
Of course, Jesse believes the last post was about him! Yeah yer right about the whole thing Jesse. Why would I think otherwise. Do you work for Procharger or something? I am not trying to start an uprising against the “evil empire of ATI/Procharger”.

First of all, I am a field engineer…..not a tech.

I have checked all of the things you have mentioned. I have made that very clear already. I checked the things you mentioned BEFORE I started the thread were in now. What more do you want me to do, take a polygraph?

I collect and analyze data every day for a living. I make improvements to existing designs in "hybrid fiber/coax broadband networks" based on the very same process that I am using for my Z project. I eliminate any data that is clearly irrelevant and compare the leftover data for possible solutions and improvements. What do you do for a living again, Jesse? Would like to know how your cable modem talks to your local providers C/O? I can help you with that. Would you like to know how TV pictures, Digital TV, Telephony, and high bandwidth two-way data services all coexist on the same two conductor coax backbone? I can help you with that also. Please do not assume that my conclusions are incorrect just because there not the same as yours. WE HAVE DIFFERENT Z PROBLEMS!

I really think that the lucky folks at high altitudes already have an atmosphere advantage that eliminates there data from relevancy when compared to the average 500'er’s plane of existence anyway. If the high altitude Z owners had the issues that my Z has they probably would not know anyway. I am not involved with internal combustion sciences of any kind so could someone tell me what the % of correction in fuel enrichment would be for 4000’ higher in altitude? Maybe my Z would run perfect at Jesse’s house in the mountains.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:21 PM
FLY BY Z

Just one question swinke, Why do you keep bringing up your job? Nobody f'n cares where you work. Personally, I think your job sounds pretty damn boring. Stick to the topic of the thread and you guys stop bashing each other, geez. You are not your job, dude. And saying that you work with coax cables does NOT help your credibility at all when talking about supercharging cars. I keep trying to glean some sort of good info from this thread and it keeps getting interrupted by bickering coming from two little girls. I think both of you have some potentially good and informative things to say. Please, do us all a favor....
Old 12-27-2003, 10:29 PM
swinke

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jesseenglish
[ It's not uncommon for more than one manufacturer to make the exact same part for the same car, so just because one is made by Hitachi and the other is made by Bosch it doesn't mean a thing.

Actually, the manufacturer generally states a "window" of acceptable ranges and specs for a part and the manufacturer of the part is required to stay within that window. Most of the time the parts made by two different manufacturers will not be all that close in performance. I deal with this every day in my field. Example, GI specs a primary hybrid for the forward front stage of a three stage amplifier. Motorola will build that hybrid to the minimum gain spec given in the gain requirements from GI because meeting the minimum gain number normally allows for lower noise figures. On the other hand Phillips may already have a hybrid on hand that meets the higher gain end of the spec window and barely meets the noise figure requirements. In either case GI will purchase the part from either manufacturer or both. Let’s say it’s a 17dbm gain and the Motorola piece is a 15dbm. What this means in terms of tuning/performance is that if for some reason an engineer builds his broadband plant based on a sample that he locally bench tests from GI with the Phillips hybrid installed and does not follow the actual design spec for the amp (believe it or not the specs from the manufacturer are not often trusted over real bench testing) he will not have enough gain to make the cascade run properly if during the construction of the plant he receives a shipment of the same amplifier with the Motorola hybrids installed. This happens all the time, by the way. What do you do for a living again Jesse?
Old 12-27-2003, 10:32 PM
swinke

Just one question swinke, Why do you keep bringing up your job? Nobody f'n cares where you work. Personally, I think your job sounds pretty damn boring. Stick to the topic of the thread and you guys stop bashing each other, geez. You are not your job, dude. And saying that you work with coax cables does NOT help your credibility at all when talking about supercharging cars. I keep trying to glean some sort of good info from this thread and it keeps getting interrupted by bickering coming from two little girls. I think both of you have some potentially good and informative things to say. Please, do us all a favor....
Oops, too late.

I'll try and curb it from here on out. I just get the feeling that Jesse is questioning if I am qualified to tune my car.

I think I have made my point.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:34 PM
jesseenglish

Why wouldn't I think it was about me? I'm the only one at high altitude with a procharger who has replied to this thread.

Look Swinke, I don't want to argue. I'm just stating that you might not have checked everything that could cause your problem. My intention was to offer alternative suggestions that you might not have though about.

Yes obviously I have an altitude advantage, but that does not explain your low FP numbers. You yourself said that you didn't think to check the voltage out to the pump. So you didn't check everything. Have you checked to see if all sliders are providing an actual voltage increase with a corresponding FP increase?

I was simply throwing out ideas of things to check. Maybe you're right. Maybe you've got a car that is different from everyone elses. The only other person that has a similar problem is EJ though. How do you know he doesn't have some of the install problems that we mentioned or has an FMU that isn't operating properly? Have you checked the things on his car? Just because the problem has been noticed by another person doesn't validate your problems as being systematic. Human error is still a factor and you shouldn't rule that out.

BTW, air pressure loss is approximately 3% per 1000ft of elevation. So, we're talking about approx 12% pressure loss or 1.7PSI
Old 12-27-2003, 10:38 PM
swinke

Why wouldn't I think it was about me? I'm the only one at high altitude with a procharger who has replied to this thread.

Look Swinke, I don't want to argue. I'm just stating that you might not have checked everything that could cause your problem. My intention was to offer alternative suggestions that you might not have though about.

Yes obviously I have an altitude advantage, but that does not explain your low FP numbers. You yourself said that you didn't think to check the voltage out to the pump. So you didn't check everything. Have you checked to see if all sliders are providing an actual voltage increase with a corresponding FP increase?

I was simply throwing out ideas of things to check. Maybe you're right. Maybe you've got a car that is different from everyone elses. The only other person that has a similar problem is EJ though. How do you know he doesn't have some of the install problems that we mentioned or has an FMU that isn't operating properly? Have you checked the things on his car? Just because the problem has been noticed by another person doesn't validate your problems as being systematic. Human error is still a factor and you shouldn't rule that out.

BTW, air pressure loss is approximately 3% per 1000ft of elevation. So, we're talking about approx 12% pressure loss or 1.7PSI
This will be my last reply to this question. No I have not checked the voltage to the Aux fuel pump. I am getting 95psi of fuel to the rail. Why would I check the voltage? Everyone else needs far less pressure at the rail to provide enough fuel to run as rich as they need to.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:42 PM
swinke

Actually, I do find what other people do for a living says quite a bit about who they are. Don’t you?

I am a dyslexic engineer, how funny is that? No BS, its true
Old 12-27-2003, 10:47 PM
jesseenglish

If you must know what my day job is, I'm currently teaching electronics repair of microwave data systems, radars, jammers, receivers, digital theory and anything else that they need me to teach. As a hobby, I restore and build up cars.

I've worked for the last 9 years as a tech/troubleshooter of Electronic Warfare systems for the army.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:49 PM
FLY BY Z

Actually, I do find what other people do for a living says quite a bit about who they are. Don’t you?
Not at all.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:53 PM
jesseenglish

I believe it says absolutely nothing about a person. Personally, I'd rather be running my own Irish pub, but that's not an option right now, so I'm stuck doing what I'm good at. It doesn't define me in any way though.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:00 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

my installer checked the things on my car, my tuner checked the things on my car, Nissan(the same one that installed 12SecZ's Procharger) checked the things on my car, and i've checked the things on my car......swinke is NOT the only other person with this problem.......noahbuddy said he's seen detonation too.......and all of these blown motors saw their share of it also.........human error is absolutely, without a doubt, the problem here.......i just think it was one of ATI's humans
Old 12-28-2003, 08:46 AM
daking350
Banned

Thanks Swinke,

Good Job.
Hey Max, If these two ladies are done arguing about whos brain is bigger maybee we can get some answers to this ATI problem..I am bringing my car in on monday to a tune with over 45 years of experience, to do a BASELINE dyno tune with the AEROMOTIVE FMU unit only(SC too of course). From there we are fitting his piggyback ECU which will have an A/B switchable map on it..I seen this ECU dyno on a STOCK Z and make it go from 239whp to 255 whp with a conservative tune!!This unit will do A/F , timing,ignition,Data loging to laptop,playback and give the user tunability...Check out my thread..https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=54140

I would assume on your car Max it can be configured to further tune and enhance the tune T/S already did...You can even run it with a AMP sensor to tune as you boost!!

Quick Reply: Its official! ATI/Procharger aint gotta clue!