Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

recently procharged and car is running crappy!!!Y??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:55 AM
thamtac209

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recently procharged and car is running crappy!!!Y??????

ok where do i start.well i had gotten a procharger installed and its not running like how i thought it would.i have a few question for you guys that have a procharged 350z also ,

1.hows your start up/idle everytime? somethime it wont start rite away until i crank the key a couple of time.

2.does your car drives smooth like if it was stock?mine has a rough time as a daily driver and vibrates a lot.

3. what kind of power are you guys getting with your setup?i only made 337 whp soooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed

appreciate your response

performance mods
intercooled procharger w 7lb pulley
uprev tuned
longtubed headers
magnaflow tru dual setup
walbro 225 pump
650 rc injectors

im thinking of getting it retuned again this would be the 3rd time ive had the car tuned ,1st time was with the utec ,2nd time i decided to go with uprev hoping it would make the car run rite,but nope...is tuning a supercharger different from tuning a turbo car?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I see a trend?Guy gets mods done to his car,does'nt run/ride/look right.
It does'nt work.
What I've learned the hard way years ago,if you do not have the knowledge/tools to do the job right,take it to someone that does and,has a PROVEN verifiable track record of doing the mod.My guess is that you did not do this or you would not be having the problem.Looking at the components...exhaust etc,to have the car to run properly after
especially doing a SC is finding out how everything is in balance.Thats not happening.
I had a similar situation in another lifetime with a Lincoln LSC I owned.Had installed a Paxton SC&other mods on the small block 302.It never did run right.I later sold the car.I take my Z to Z-1 Motorsports for any work I cannot
handle.I comes back perfect every time cause these guys know their stuff!
The guy that did the work told me this was the first time he did a SC install.
Red flag!
If you have taken the car back,what 3 times to the same guy to retune,
I'd go to another guy.Have you contacted Procharger on the problem...their input?
If I had to guess by your comments,I'd think it was a vacuum problem somewhere in the system.

Last edited by JCITY; 02-04-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Ztouring04

If I were you I'd have another shop take a look at it. Could be in the tune.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:04 AM
P&K350Z

Originally Posted by Ztouring04
If I were you I'd have another shop take a look at it. Could be in the tune.
+1, should definitely not run rough. Not enough fuel?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Nissanismo95

Originally Posted by thamtac209
ok where do i start.well i had gotten a procharger installed and its not running like how i thought it would.i have a few question for you guys that have a procharged 350z also ,

1.hows your start up/idle everytime? somethime it wont start rite away until i crank the key a couple of time.

2.does your car drives smooth like if it was stock?mine has a rough time as a daily driver and vibrates a lot.

3. what kind of power are you guys getting with your setup?i only made 337 whp soooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed

appreciate your response

performance mods
uprev tuned
longtubed headers
magnaflow tru dual setup
walbro 225 pump
650 rc injectors

im thinking of getting it retuned again this would be the 3rd time ive had the car tuned ,1st time was with the utec ,2nd time i decided to go with uprev hoping it would make the car run rite,but nope...is tuning a supercharger different from tuning a turbo car?
Follow this link. Complete install/trouble shooting/re-writing of the ATI Procharger kit we did on my mom's 03. This may provide you with some information to help with your problems. The write up addresses fuel, engine management, and vacuum. As far as your WHP, 337 to the wheels is close to 100WHP over the factory WHP since most stock Z's average about 241WHP, Which is a significant gain. With the proper install and tuning, your car should be running smooth as the stock configuration. My mom's Z is putting down nearly 450WHP on a fully built motor and change in the Procharger pulley to achieve higher boost levels. Bottom line is that the ATI Procharger kit is great quality kit. It would be best if you upgraded your cooling system as well (ie, radiator and low temp thermostat) as you will produce an increase in engine compartment temperature. Good luck.

http://zchickz.com/prochg1.htm
Old 02-05-2012, 01:56 PM
thamtac209

Do I see a trend?Guy gets mods done to his car,does'nt run/ride/look right.
It does'nt work.
What I've learned the hard way years ago,if you do not have the knowledge/tools to do the job right,take it to someone that does and,has a PROVEN verifiable track record of doing the mod.My guess is that you did not do this or you would not be having the problem.Looking at the components...exhaust etc,to have the car to run properly after
especially doing a SC is finding out how everything is in balance.Thats not happening.
I had a similar situation in another lifetime with a Lincoln LSC I owned.Had installed a Paxton SC&other mods on the small block 302.It never did run right.I later sold the car.I take my Z to Z-1 Motorsports for any work I cannot
handle.I comes back perfect every time cause these guys know their stuff!
The guy that did the work told me this was the first time he did a SC install.
Red flag!
If you have taken the car back,what 3 times to the same guy to retune,
I'd go to another guy.Have you contacted Procharger on the problem...their input?
If I had to guess by your comments,I'd think it was a vacuum problem somewhere in the system.
well so far i went to 2 different shop the first one i thought had a good rep but that was before the had changed owner which i didnt findout until my was war already being worked on,this was the shop that installed the procharger and tuned the utec.worst shop in the world .the second shop works motorsport was a legit shop nothing but positive review about it ,they did a great job fixing everything that the 1st shop did wrong ,their the one who did the uprev tuned.what other performance part would you recommend that i should do?

Follow this link. Complete install/trouble shooting/re-writing of the ATI Procharger kit we did on my mom's 03. This may provide you with some information to help with your problems. The write up addresses fuel, engine management, and vacuum. As far as your WHP, 337 to the wheels is close to 100WHP over the factory WHP since most stock Z's average about 241WHP, Which is a significant gain. With the proper install and tuning, your car should be running smooth as the stock configuration. My mom's Z is putting down nearly 450WHP on a fully built motor and change in the Procharger pulley to achieve higher boost levels. Bottom line is that the ATI Procharger kit is great quality kit. It would be best if you upgraded your cooling system as well (ie, radiator and low temp thermostat) as you will produce an increase in engine compartment temperature. Good luck.
but shouldnt i have mad a little bit more than 337 because of the the exhaust and header mod??
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thamtac209
performance mods
uprev tuned
longtubed headers
magnaflow tru dual setup
walbro 225 pump
650 rc injectors

any updateson your situation thamtac? i'm still considering a Procharger and decided to chime in on this section again 14 months later, lol!
maybe your compression has dropped on your STOCK motor or you have a leak. i would expect that you would at least be in the 350 range. maybe their dyno reads low!?

i would have tried the tuner again or maybe upgrading the pulley to a 9 pound!?
"i called procharger prior to ordering directly and asked what tooth count all the pulley sets were and here is the anwser i got from their tech line (7 psi - 27/38) (9 psi - 26/39) (11psi 25/40)" taken from another thread...

i would love to replicate Nissanismo95's setup and HP numbers of course with a built motor. it's pretty much the goal (450whp) i set for myself while gather parts here and there for a build. and i'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it will eventually happen someday... but for now i'm raising twins

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 04-05-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The issue is the tune. Uprev is a can of worms for anyone with less than a dozen Uprev F/I tunes under their belt. lots of shops tune F/I, some do (or claim to have done) uprev, but often times it's not pretty. if the shop that tuned it last tells you it's supposed to run like **** then you know the problem...a properly tuned uprev F/I setup should start, run and drive just like or very close to stock...that is the beauty of uprev!

Last edited by djamps; 04-05-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
The issue is the tune. Uprev is a can of worms for anyone with less than a dozen Uprev F/I tunes under their belt. lots of shops tune F/I, some do (or claim to have done) uprev, but often times it's not pretty. if the shop that tuned it last tells you it's supposed to run like **** then you know the problem...a properly tuned uprev F/I setup should start, run and drive just like or very close to stock...that is the beauty of uprev!
To a certain point. You have to remember you are trying to make a computer designed to run a NA motor and make it do things it was never intended to do.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 PM
350Z400rwhp

7psi and 337 whp doesn't seem too far off. Not sure what dyno you did it on but I made 330wph on Sharif's DD with 8psi on my Vortech.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by meatbag
To a certain point. You have to remember you are trying to make a computer designed to run a NA motor and make it do things it was never intended to do.
Sorry but there's no reason it shouldn't drive like stock especially in vacuum unless the tuner doesn't know what he's doing or there's a huge mechanical issue.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Sorry but there's no reason it shouldn't drive like stock especially in vacuum unless the tuner doesn't know what he's doing or there's a huge mechanical issue.
To a certain point.