Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

05 5AT build(newb)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Pastmylife357

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got in touch with Hills Garage here in Baltimore, just waiting for a cost estimate for the build minus the built engine, since financial situation has changed.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Pastmylife357

side note: got my spyder smoked tail lights and head lights installed, fun doing it myself even though the bumper removal and installation was a pain in the a$$. Bought the haltech platinum pro and just waiting on shipping now, slowly getting things launched, next is exhaust/wheels/trans. slowly but surely
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 AM
shyun1250

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just skimmed the thread really fast.
Just out of curiosity, Idk if this was mentioned earlier on in this thread but, how much is your projected total cost for your entire build?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shyun1250
I just skimmed the thread really fast.
Just out of curiosity, Idk if this was mentioned earlier on in this thread but, how much is your projected total cost for your entire build?
I guarantee you that's a total moot point, and unless you buy from the same people, go to the same shops and do the same work your quote could vary huge amounts.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 AM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by Resmarted
I guarantee you that's a total moot point, and unless you buy from the same people, go to the same shops and do the same work your quote could vary huge amounts.
I'm not trying to make any point at all. And despite that being true about the number can vary, most people going into anything will always have a number in their head that they feel would be the rough total. If hes been getting quotes from shops, he should be able discern his rough total.

That is of course unless your ballin out the *** and don't give a sh*t.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Resmarted

I'm not trying to make any point at all. And despite that being true about the number can vary, most people going into anything will always have a number in their head that they feel would be the rough total. If hes been getting quotes from shops, he should be able discern his rough total.

That is of course unless your ballin out the *** and don't give a sh*t.
all im saying is dont bank on any number. its amazing how quickly things add up. you're much better off adding things up yourself and adding another 60% at least to what you find it to cost. these builds skyrocket in price quick
Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by Resmarted
all im saying is dont bank on any number. its amazing how quickly things add up. you're much better off adding things up yourself and adding another 60% at least to what you find it to cost. these builds skyrocket in price quick
I totally agree. Just curious to see what his projected numbers are so far.
A lot of the stuff on his list seem like massive baller mods lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Pastmylife357

I totally agree. Just curious to see what his projected numbers are so far.
A lot of the stuff on his list seem like massive baller mods lol.
An edit to my build list/update will be made little bit later today as a lot has happened since I originally was going to start this build and not everything is being done, where I thought I'd be and where my money finds me is 2 different points. But hey life happens to us all.

For the work so far that I'm getting done and that's not the full build list I have here, I'm running about 17k @ the shop plus another 6k from private purchases as such the TT kit is being pushed back to next year and I'll be running NA for a bit.

When I originally jumped into this I really didn't think too far beyond 15-20k max but I also didn't account for the smaller things that make the car reliable as well as fun. couple hundred here, there, Well might as well do this too since we're going to have that done, as Resmarted said things can add up quickly especially after you talk to the shop since you may end up limited in what they are capable of; luckily enough with my build I don't have much that I need to change.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Pastmylife357

What the build is looking like now, new wheels and possibly some coilovers will be added once I figure out what I like.

Originally Posted by Pastmylife357
Goal: ~500whp

NEW BUILD LIST

Fuel:
CJ motorsports stage 2 fuel kit
Bosch 850/1000cc injectors
DW 300LPH Fuel pump
Exhaust:
Exotic Speed R1-T
EMS:
na&chs' Haltech Platinum
Haltech boost control solenoid
Transmission:
rcdashs' GTM Stage 3
Cooling:
rcdashs' trans cooler
Hill's Garage Custom 19 row oil cooler
ARC oil catch can
Samco radiator hoses
NGK 1step colder spark plugs
rcdashs' Prosport Halo temp gauge (complete kit)
Other:
Billion racing power steering tank
rcdashs'Works bell paddle shifter
Goodridge g-stop brake lines
Engine:
pending decision
Wheels/Tires:
07JimmyZs' INGS TS-06 by Rays Eng. 18x9.5 +22 front, 18x10.5 +15 rear with Sumimoto HTR III 255/40 front, 285/35 rear

Last edited by Pastmylife357; 12-11-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Hope everything goes smooth for you Wes!! Good luck!!

Chris
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM
shyun1250

An edit to my build list/update will be made little bit later today as a lot has happened since I originally was going to start this build and not everything is being done, where I thought I'd be and where my money finds me is 2 different points. But hey life happens to us all.

For the work so far that I'm getting done and that's not the full build list I have here, I'm running about 17k @ the shop plus another 6k from private purchases as such the TT kit is being pushed back to next year and I'll be running NA for a bit.

When I originally jumped into this I really didn't think too far beyond 15-20k max but I also didn't account for the smaller things that make the car reliable as well as fun. couple hundred here, there, Well might as well do this too since we're going to have that done, as Resmarted said things can add up quickly especially after you talk to the shop since you may end up limited in what they are capable of; luckily enough with my build I don't have much that I need to change.
Thanks for the response.
I've run into the same problem with over looking a lot of the really minor yet essential things that would be needed in order to supplement my build.
Not to mention maintenene things and in the event that things start breaking...
Whenever it comes to modifications, I've heard a good rule of thumb is to take your projected budget and just doubling it lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Resmarted

Go to a good shop, and buy as much as you can at once from them. They usually will get you a better deal than you can get hunting around (for new stuff at least, used is a different story).
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Pastmylife357

Thanks for the response.
I've run into the same problem with over looking a lot of the really minor yet essential things that would be needed in order to supplement my build.
Not to mention maintenene things and in the event that things start breaking...
Whenever it comes to modifications, I've heard a good rule of thumb is to take your projected budget and just doubling it lol.
Maintenance and things breaking will happen since it's a car, it's part of the cycle. Like resmarted has said tho, go to the shop you want to do your work and they can get you an estimate with labor and tuning costs, just remember even that isnt 100% accurate.

I'm a finance type so I looked up prices myself and all but didnt know labor or tuning costs. Believe or not I've actually saved 6k maybe a bit more on this build so far thro Rajs' parts and the used haltech.

Do it right the first time, use reliable parts, do your research, find a good shop/tuner, and communicate with them, and take your time with it.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 PM
weslutes

looks like you're on the right track. Now you should probably think about selling me the Works Bell paddle shifter to save some money for tires
Old 11-07-2012, 12:00 AM
shyun1250

Maintenance and things breaking will happen since it's a car, it's part of the cycle. Like resmarted has said tho, go to the shop you want to do your work and they can get you an estimate with labor and tuning costs, just remember even that isnt 100% accurate.

I'm a finance type so I looked up prices myself and all but didnt know labor or tuning costs. Believe or not I've actually saved 6k maybe a bit more on this build so far thro Rajs' parts and the used haltech.

Do it right the first time, use reliable parts, do your research, find a good shop/tuner, and communicate with them, and take your time with it.
I was just giving my 0.02 about my experiences. And that whole working out build costs and what not was about a year ago... lol. But yeah doing it right the first time and taking your time is defs the best advice people can give with this kind of stuff.

GL with your build!

Last edited by shyun1250; 11-07-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Pastmylife357

Originally Posted by weslutes
looks like you're on the right track. Now you should probably think about selling me the Works Bell paddle shifter to save some money for tires
Lol, I'm getting it for $10. Hardly a difference for tires
Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Pastmylife357

Sadly Raj's built motor has some problems that he found out and notified me of, so I shall go back on the hunt for what to do. FI is being pushed off due to cost. Thinking about setting up with a 4.15L BC stroker kit instead of just a reg built 3.5L.

Good news is the trans checks out and I'm now just waiting on notification for shipping.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 4L BC stroker will set you back almost 7K in parts alone without machine time for the sleeves.

seems like a 180* from raj's bargain basement motor and your comments on not going FI due to costs.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Pastmylife357

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the 4L BC stroker will set you back almost 7K in parts alone without machine time for the sleeves.

seems like a 180* from raj's bargain basement motor and your comments on not going FI due to costs.
I posted that before I looked into it tbh idk what I'm goin to be doing now since his motor needs to be re-done to become operational again. Trying to get prices and stuff from the shop so I can see but we know how that goes.

Ya I've kind of realized that lol, TT kit-8.5k vs 4.15L-7k not much of a difference lol. Either way the TT is being kicked off since I need a built motor now. Back to the engine building plans and research
Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

from the sound of it, the motor just needs a simple bore and new pistons. any machine shop can do that for very inexpensive.

Quick Reply: 05 5AT build(newb)