Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

05 5AT build(newb)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

If you want to go built block you better rebuild that transmission. Rebuild clutch packs are fairly cheap (I have some brand new in box I need to get rid of lmk if you're interested), but will change the amount of power you can hold.
I'd recommend a reflash (talk to osiris or any other reflash company about what they can do to increase the shift pressure), big tranny cooler, a higher stall converter, a valvebody upgrade and a clutch pack upgrade kit. None of those are really all that expensive but the labor will kind of suck. If you're interested I also have a spare re5r05a with less than 44k miles on it (car was babied) that's getting swapped out for a manual.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Pastmylife357

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
If you want to go built block you better rebuild that transmission. Rebuild clutch packs are fairly cheap (I have some brand new in box I need to get rid of lmk if you're interested), but will change the amount of power you can hold.
I'd recommend a reflash (talk to osiris or any other reflash company about what they can do to increase the shift pressure), big tranny cooler, a higher stall converter, a valvebody upgrade and a clutch pack upgrade kit. None of those are really all that expensive but the labor will kind of suck. If you're interested I also have a spare re5r05a with less than 44k miles on it (car was babied) that's getting swapped out for a manual.
Ya, I'm working on doing the trans first before I drop any power into the car. Only as strong as the weakest part. I just got to wait to do it because something that came up so I'm contacting a trans shop to assist in selection. I know what I got to get just seems everyone only does the work themselves, and right now kind of need my car. I'll def let you know if I need one thanks.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Eno

Originally Posted by Resmarted
If you're interested I also have a spare re5r05a with less than 44k miles on it (car was babied) that's getting swapped out for a manual.
You've mentioned that to me before too and I figured you'd have let it go by now...

Just for kicks and I sure hope I don't ever have to hand the money over- but how much were you wanting for it?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
You've mentioned that to me before too and I figured you'd have let it go by now...

Just for kicks and I sure hope I don't ever have to hand the money over- but how much were you wanting for it?
PM'd ya.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Pastmylife357

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...an-vq35de.aspx

Found this interesting. Helps understand a little bit better for us newbs or budget conscious builders on some engine building with f/i
Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Pastmylife357

EDIT: NEW BUILD LIST

Let me know what you think. Appreciate all the help so far. Thank you. Build should get started when I return home in a couple months.

Originally Posted by Pastmylife357
So before I start I've read tons of forums and other sites for information on what I'm trying to do as cars and upgrades are a fairly new interest of mine.
Goal: about 350-400 whp future: 500's whp

EDIT: ALL NEW BUILD LIST

GTM motorsports stage 2 tuner kit (GT28RS .86A/R)
Fuel:
CJ motorsports stage 2 fuel kit w/ walbro 255lph fuel pump
SARD 650cc injectors
Exhaust:
Amuse R1 Titan exhaust
Motordyne ART test pipes
Motordyne XYZ pipe w/ HFC
EMS:
Haltech Platinum
Haltech boost control solenoid
Transmission:
IPT performance upgrades
Cooling:
B&M hi-tek trans cooler
Weapon R Neo-Ti secret weapon intake system
Setrab oil cooler
ARC oil catch can
Samco radiator hoses
NGK 1step colder spark plugs
Suspension:
Nismo S-Tune stabilizer kit
Other:
Billion racing power steering tank
Works bell paddle shifter neo
Goodridge g-stop brake lines
Engine:
Cosworth pistons 8.8:1, 96mm
Cosworth rods
Cosworth main/rod bearings
Cosworth piston rings 96mm
Cosworth twin plenum
ARP main/head studs
ARP rod bolts
AMS pulley kit w/ belts
Motordyne 5/16" copper ISO thermal plenum spacer
WPC treatment to crankshaft

Engine will come at a later date after I'm bored of the original wow factor and go higher.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 PM
ace32x

EDIT: NEW BUILD LIST

Let me know what you think. Appreciate all the help so far. Thank you. Build should get started when I return home in a couple months.
get 850 injectors for some head room, and make sure u get ARP L19's

Last edited by ace32x; 04-17-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 PM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel:
SARD 650cc injectors "if you are building the motor 850-1200cc that's your range"
Exhaust:
Amuse R1 Titan exhaust "I would get the GTM 3" true duel, much less restrictive flow"
Motordyne ART test pipes
Motordyne XYZ pipe w/ HFC "if you will go with 3" down-pipe and external WG, then you don't need that"
EMS:
Haltech Platinum
Transmission:
IPT performance upgrades
Cooling:
B&M hi-tek trans cooler
Weapon R Neo-Ti secret weapon intake system "??????"
Setrab oil cooler
ARC oil catch can "you are lucky if you find one, let me know where you bought it I want one"
Samco radiator hoses
Suspension:
Nismo S-Tune stabilizer kit "if you are looking to do some track time, include coilovers"
Other:
Works bell paddle shifter neo "looker"
Engine:
Cosworth pistons 8.8:1, 96mm " when you buy cosworth you buy a brand name there are much cheeper, reliable, and proven parts out there for you" CP pistons 8.8:1
Cosworth rods "carrillo rods"
Cosworth main/rod bearings "ACL"
Cosworth piston rings 96mm "CP"
Cosworth twin plenum
ARP main/head studs
ARP rod bolts
AMS pulley kit w/ belts "ATI pulley works great"
Motordyne 5/16" copper ISO thermal plenum spacer "not needed
"include cams if you're stripping the thing. it will give you more mid range gains and help with spool up.
springs, porting and polishing will make impressive difference.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Pastmylife357

Glad to.see I didn't do too bad. I'll look at those other brands, Cosworth parts were a copy of a guys 5AT build that he has a a dd with 500ish whp so thought they were top notch or something.

I don't plan on breaking 600hp so why larger injectors? I've seen a couple builds with the hp I'm looking towards with less than 800cc.

True dual requires some fab work with a reversing y-pipe which was recommended for me to avoid. Exhaust area still confuses me which is why its pretty basic and straight forward. Downpipe and external WG avoid the emissions problems? I'll look into the exhaust recommendations.

I don't like the intake that comes with the tuner kit so went with another one I found, think its JDM. ARC catch can I found on a JDM site I'm using, ill post it in a bit, got to find it.

Guess I should've added the port/polish, apologies there but its on my paper. Was thinking of Brian cowler 264cams but this build I looked at (Steve power enterprising tt 5AT) didn't change cams and hes at 500ish hp so I didn't include them. By springs, you mean valve springs?

Thanks for the thorough break down.

Originally Posted by dj lizard
Fuel:
SARD 650cc injectors "if you are building the motor 850-1200cc that's your range"
Exhaust:
Amuse R1 Titan exhaust "I would get the GTM 3" true duel, much less restrictive flow"
Motordyne ART test pipes
Motordyne XYZ pipe w/ HFC "if you will go with 3" down-pipe and external WG, then you don't need that"
EMS:
Haltech Platinum
Transmission:
IPT performance upgrades
Cooling:
B&M hi-tek trans cooler
Weapon R Neo-Ti secret weapon intake system "??????"
Setrab oil cooler
ARC oil catch can "you are lucky if you find one, let me know where you bought it I want one"
Samco radiator hoses
Suspension:
Nismo S-Tune stabilizer kit "if you are looking to do some track time, include coilovers"
Other:
Works bell paddle shifter neo "looker"
Engine:
Cosworth pistons 8.8:1, 96mm " when you buy cosworth you buy a brand name there are much cheeper, reliable, and proven parts out there for you" CP pistons 8.8:1
Cosworth rods "carrillo rods"
Cosworth main/rod bearings "ACL"
Cosworth piston rings 96mm "CP"
Cosworth twin plenum
ARP main/head studs
ARP rod bolts
AMS pulley kit w/ belts "ATI pulley works great"
Motordyne 5/16" copper ISO thermal plenum spacer "not needed
"include cams if you're stripping the thing. it will give you more mid range gains and help with spool up.
springs, porting and polishing will make impressive difference.

Last edited by Pastmylife357; 04-17-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Pastmylife357

Originally Posted by ace32x
get 850 injectors for some head room, and make sure u get ARP L19's
Will look into them. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Pastmylife357

www.rhdjapan.com is where I'm getting most of my JDM parts, still going through some of my other parts to swap with better JDM parts. Also if there is a company they purchase from but don't have what your looking for listed, you can contact them about it and they'll get it. Remember to switch from yen to usd for accurate pricing and filter Nissan Fairlady Z Z33(year) :-) happy shopping ;-)
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

New vs Old tech!
GTX vs GT
DW 300 vs Walbro 255

Since you're going with a GTM TT kit, let me add I have more faith in the GTM 5AT upgrade than the IPT given reports over the web. My GTM 5AT has held close to 600 wtq so far (knock on wood), 25k+ miles so far on it.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Pastmylife357

Originally Posted by rcdash
New vs Old tech!
GTX vs GT
DW 300 vs Walbro 255

Since you're going with a GTM TT kit, let me add I have more faith in the GTM 5AT upgrade than the IPT given reports over the web. My GTM 5AT has held close to 600 wtq so far (knock on wood), 25k+ miles so far on it.
I didn't notice that GTM does transmission upgrade work, guess I wasn't pay too much attention. I'll look into it, looked at IPT because I'll be moving back to MD so NJ isn't too far away.

The turbos are what come with it and will suffice for my current upgrade wants, when I push up more I'll be switching to the GTX turbos, but I just don't think it's reasonable to do right now since it'll cost another 2-3k for them.

I'll look into swapping the Walbro 255 for the DW 300 since it's only an option with the fuel kit and I can still get the kit without the pump. Thanks.

Last edited by Pastmylife357; 04-18-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

GTX can come with it, just need to ask Sam I think... Both the 2863 and 2867 are the same size...

EDIT: Oh, I did not see there was that much of an extra charge for the GTX. Still cheaper than buying later but your choice.

Last edited by rcdash; 04-18-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Pastmylife357

O, alright I'll ask when I go to get the work done, those prices were if I was buying the turbos separate so it might be a bit cheaper with the kit.

Originally Posted by rcdash
GTX can come with it, just need to ask Sam I think... Both the 2863 and 2867 are the same size...

EDIT: Oh, I did not see there was that much of an extra charge for the GTX. Still cheaper than buying later but your choice.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Pastmylife357

Default Updates

Still working on the exhaust but I think I smoothed out the Fuel/Engine/trans parts. Appreciate the help as always. Thanks.

So before I start I've read tons of forums and other sites for information on what I'm trying to do as cars and upgrades are a fairly new interest of mine.
Goal: about 350-400 whp future: 500's whp

EDIT: ALL NEW BUILD LIST

Fuel:
CJ motorsports stage 2 fuel kit
ID 850cc injectors
DW 300LPH Fuel Pump
Exhaust:
Greddy turbo ti-c or Greddy EVO TT or tanabe medallion touring
Motordyne ART test pipes
Motordyne XYZ pipe w/ HFC (if tanabe)
EMS:
Haltech Platinum
Transmission:
GTM upgrades
Cooling:
B&M hi-tek trans cooler
Weapon R Neo-Ti secret weapon intake system(maybe)
Setrab oil cooler
ARC oil catch can
Samco radiator hoses
Suspension:
Nismo S-Tune stabilizer kit
Other:
Works bell paddle shifter neo
APP Stainless Mesh Teflon brake lines
MCR Bonnet
Engine:
CP pistons 8.5:1 CR, 96mm bore w/rings
Carrillo Super Pro-A Rods
ACL main/rod/thrust bearings
Cosworth twin plenum
ARP main/head studs
ARP rod bolts
AMS pulley kit w/ belts
Motordyne 5/16" copper ISO thermal plenum spacer
Tomei 10.2 in/ex 264 Cams
Tomei Valvespring Kit

Engine will come at a later date after I'm bored of the original wow factor and go higher.

Last edited by Pastmylife357; 04-20-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: new build list
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 PM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

272 cams are a bit aggressive for street use??? maybe not but that's my opinion... maybe some of the forum members can help on this too I was thinking and those cam till I went with 255 cams, and DW injectors are not the best in the market, ID is a better choice the difference is a 100$, so it's not that big of a deal. I went with ID my self. the rest is fine. great build I want to see this thing come to life... GTM is a great choice. good luck with it.

EDIT: with the TI C greddy true duel exhaust you don't need a y-pipe so Motordyne XYZ pipe is not needed.

Last edited by dj lizard; 04-19-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Pastmylife357

Yew I was thinking of 264's but read something about hp support so to avoid changing them when I increase hp, but I'm continuously rechecking my list so I'll look into them again.

At this point what's 100 lol. I'll check them out.

Left the xyz pipe on there because I'm still trying to learn how all the exhaust stuff fits where and what I need to get the most performance before running into emissions problems.

Ran into the wonderful wall of life so hopefully I can kick this off mid-May/June. As soon as I do though I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far in planning out this build.

Edit: build list

Originally Posted by dj lizard
272 cams are a bit aggressive for street use??? maybe not but that's my opinion... maybe some of the forum members can help on this too I was thinking and those cam till I went with 255 cams, and DW injectors are not the best in the market, ID is a better choice the difference is a 100$, so it's not that big of a deal. I went with ID my self. the rest is fine. great build I want to see this thing come to life... GTM is a great choice. good luck with it.

EDIT: with the TI C greddy true duel exhaust you don't need a y-pipe so Motordyne XYZ pipe is not needed.

Last edited by Pastmylife357; 04-19-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Eno

I'm running IPT and one of the comments from my shop- who have also worked on the gtm version upgrade is that IPT shifts more stock like during day to day where gtm was more aggressive. Fine, if that's what you like.

I have been really disappointed in IPTs customer service but haven't really had to put it to the test either. I called them when I got the trams back and asked what it would hold. They said "I don't know- 5-600 on a Titan, probably more on your car."

Not quite the answer I was looking for.

I've emailed them 3-4 times... Got nothing back. Ever. Their web page or at least many sections of it have been left untouched for years. Okay- well that's good. Maybe they're too busy to reply to email and keep their website up to date. Either way... Been happy with the trans- shifts well when you get on it- shifts like stock when driving around.

My shop raved about IPT and though I was also cautioned by someone else I trust (rcdash) I ran with the shops recommendation. Whatever route you choose just keep it cool.

And about the bigger injectors- like I said... Just seems a bit fluky with the osiris. But acex just put a set up for a good price in the marketplace. He's a good seller and a great guy to talk to. Had some turbos too that might be right up your alley. Worth a look.

Anyway. I digress. Watching from afar!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Pastmylife357

Lol, appreciative the info. Always a battle of decisions on this stuff. Whoever I go with prob gtm just cuz they'll be doing the turbo install, I'm thinking of having the put in the OS Giken street master hard clutch kit with their tc. Will see when it gets closer though. Won't be able to start build til mid-May, early June.

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
I'm running IPT and one of the comments from my shop- who have also worked on the gtm version upgrade is that IPT shifts more stock like during day to day where gtm was more aggressive. Fine, if that's what you like.

I have been really disappointed in IPTs customer service but haven't really had to put it to the test either. I called them when I got the trams back and asked what it would hold. They said "I don't know- 5-600 on a Titan, probably more on your car."

Not quite the answer I was looking for.

I've emailed them 3-4 times... Got nothing back. Ever. Their web page or at least many sections of it have been left untouched for years. Okay- well that's good. Maybe they're too busy to reply to email and keep their website up to date. Either way... Been happy with the trans- shifts well when you get on it- shifts like stock when driving around.

My shop raved about IPT and though I was also cautioned by someone else I trust (rcdash) I ran with the shops recommendation. Whatever route you choose just keep it cool.

And about the bigger injectors- like I said... Just seems a bit fluky with the osiris. But acex just put a set up for a good price in the marketplace. He's a good seller and a great guy to talk to. Had some turbos too that might be right up your alley. Worth a look.

Anyway. I digress. Watching from afar!

Quick Reply: 05 5AT build(newb)