Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Uprev Osiris cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 AM
specv118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprev Osiris cold start issues

First off please excuse me as I'm not exactly sure that I'm in the right section. With this out of the way, let me get to my question.

I've noticed a lot of 350z guys running Osiris, so hopefully ya'll can help me.

I own a Sentra SpecV that I've been building the last 6 years, etc, etc. Boosted, supporting mods, etc.
Name:  DSC_0165.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  127.9 KB
Ever since I got the car tuned on Osiris this March the car has had a HORRRRRIBLE cold start problem. No matter what I do or what I've read on Z forums from users with similar problems makes any difference in the tune.

Here is a short run down of what is going on (can provide log's for people that are interested).

When I start the car, it starts normal, normal amount of cranks before it starts, no big deal. After its running it'll idle where it should on a cold start run but here is where it gets annoying. The AFR's no matter what I can stay in the 10.5-10.9ish area. As soon as the coolant temp starts to rise it starts to lean out.

I have messed with the fuel compensation table, the cranking enrichment table. I've done numerous logs, watched the tracers on the tables do their thing, etc. With ZERO luck at all.

When the car is at operating temp, the AFRs are correct, when its warm it starts up and idles in the correct AFR area.

Uprev never answers the phone when I call so hopefully you guys/gals can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks a bunch!

Specv118

Last edited by specv118; 05-15-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:07 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 2,061 Posts

I have a slight hesitation on my Z until it warms up (1 or 2 times as I leave my driveway) but it goes away within 1/4 mile.

I'd send uprev an email since they don't answer the phone.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 AM
specv118

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I have a slight hesitation on my Z until it warms up (1 or 2 times as I leave my driveway) but it goes away within 1/4 mile.

I'd send uprev an email since they don't answer the phone.
Guess i'll drop them another email.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is nothing wrong with running that rich during warmup. it will actually heat the car up faster.

What is horrible? SOunds like the car starts and runs just fine? If you didnt have that AFR meter, would even know there was an "issue"

There has to be temperature compensation tables. They just need to be leaned out some if its soo annoying....
Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 AM
specv118

Originally Posted by str8dum1
there is nothing wrong with running that rich during warmup. it will actually heat the car up faster.

What is horrible? SOunds like the car starts and runs just fine? If you didnt have that AFR meter, would even know there was an "issue"

There has to be temperature compensation tables. They just need to be leaned out some if its soo annoying....
We'll I understand this, but I guess my question really should be is this to rich for the car to be idling at AFR wise?

For some reason, I remember the stock injectors and stock map when I was N/A or even when I ran a horrible SAFC-II on 440cc injectors on stock mapped ecu never being like this.

I am one of those people who over analyze everything and this being my first time ever using software like this. I more or less want to make sure it is right and me not blowing off a issue that could be avoided.

Ignorance is bliss sometimes? lol

I've been "leaning" out the table that controls this with no success and yes this is very annoying to me. I'm just one of those people.

Last edited by specv118; 05-15-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uprev has horrible customer service i will call them later on i hope they answer

Last edited by silvertouringz; 05-15-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 AM
specv118

Originally Posted by silvertouringz
uprev has horrible customer service i will call them later on i hope they answer
Horrible is being nice about it, haha.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 AM
silvertouringz

i called them, no answer.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 AM
unvmyg35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got through and was able to get my idle issue question answered. Maybe, I got lucky.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Ronin82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by specv118
I am one of those people who over analyze everything and this being my first time ever using software like this. I more or less want to make sure it is right and me not blowing off a issue that could be avoided.

Ignorance is bliss sometimes? lol

I've been "leaning" out the table that controls this with no success and yes this is very annoying to me. I'm just one of those people.
maybe just a little, Ive never seen or had this problem, at least that was noticeable on mine. but I'm running Uprev N/A maps.

not saying your wrong,.... but this topic is very interesting
Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM
silvertouringz

update: i got everything i need from uprev..customer service looks OK LOL
Old 05-15-2012, 02:37 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I get initial responses from Jared by email within 1-3 days and followups are much quicker. Never been 'left stranded' so to speak.

To answer your original question, you have to understand how much control you don't have before you start trying to fix things. For example, where are the temp compensations? Oh yea, there are none. What about startup enrichment tables? We just got some and they are still braile (no real description on what they do). Sometimes you have to work backwards to get what you want. In my case, I ended up having to retune based on a different methodology, in a very specific process to get everything 'just right'. Without all the ***** and buttons of standalones you have to get creative and think outside the box.

I am guessing your latency and/or dead time values are not correct for your injectors (or perhaps not being interpreted by the ECU the way you think). Make sure you have the latest ROM editor, as about 6 months ago all the latency settings were overhauled. You may be subsequently 'making up' for the error in your K settings, which is throwing off all the hidden tables such as startup trims and temp compensations.

Aside from that, be sure to do as much tuning on the MAF table as you can, with the fuel comp table remaining as close to all 100's as possible. If you're pulling more than +/- 5% fuel in any cell, you need to update your MAF table instead.

Last edited by djamps; 05-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

And like djamps said, use the maf table to tune. tuning in the fuel comp tables is just a quite way to end up in a nightmare of tuning problems.

This sounds like no issue at all. When cold the car should run rich to keep it idling properly. If you lean it out when it's cold and running it will idle like crap and probably die. That's why it's designed to richen up the mixture when the coolant temps are cold. if you adjust your map to lean it out during cold starts you will regret it because the car will not want to start properly and will die. Fuel doesn't atomize very well when everything is cold so it requires more fuel than normal. It will not hurt the engine to idle for 20 seconds or so while running rich.