Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

im scared!!!! should i or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 AM
buffhulk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks bro
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
I learned a year ago that if you buy a RX-7, you need a mental exam. Great looking car, but every time you fill up with gas, you need to replace the piece of **** rotary that carboned up the apex seals. What a fackin joke of a motor. An enthusiast talked me right out of it when he said 'if you are serious about one, you need to see if it can take you 100 miles without issues popping up." Then visited the local shop that specializes in ******* (yes I spelled that right) and he had 8 cars there all with blown motors...fack that motor.

Stay away from a FI Z too, put the money into apex seals, you'll need it pushing anything over 350 horsepower in that car. Almost bought one, now got a new obsession which I'll have in 2 years when the import restriction is up
13B's do pop easier than most FI engines. My old roomate blew 3 motors in 2 years before he parted it out.. His turbo was more than the entire motorset with a custom bridge port LMAO!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
buffhulk

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
13B's do pop easier than most FI engines. My old roomate blew 3 motors in 2 years before he parted it out.. His turbo was more than the entire motorset with a custom bridge port LMAO!

blew a motor too...but after researching the engine trying to get to 500hp
i found that you need to just dump fuel like crazy....now the engine has been running awesome for over a year with ZERO issues with some water injection just to keep the detonation low.....and let me tell you i beat on this engine and no issues i love it oh and i have a street port
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen your FD on another thread, and I just wanted to ask why not dump a 20B into your FD instead of messing with your Z?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Wastegate pipe cracks a lot, check for an updated model and the A/C blows up if don't have the newer model.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM
buffhulk

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
I have seen your FD on another thread, and I just wanted to ask why not dump a 20B into your FD instead of messing with your Z?
cause that engine is like 4k and doesnt bolt right in it need custom work done plus i would have to take it apart and street or race port it and put new seals and parts on a 20b or expensive cause its rare 13b stuff is super cheap
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like you said before, this is your DD. Initially, you seemed concerned about it's reliability. Now it seems like you want to blow Jesus' nuts off with it. First figure out what you want in a car, do a lot of research, then go ordering stuff.

If you want more reliability out of a daily driver, like i said earlier in this thread, I would go with an S/C kit. Of course SCed engines can die just the same as TCed, but it's the nature of the beast when you compare the two of them.

Just from the sounds of your previous posts, and your reasons for wanting to go the T/C route, I'm afraid all you will get is a quick ticket to the VQ destroyer group. This is most likely going to be an expensive lesson learned, only because you said you were scared or afraid, meaning you probably don't know what you're doing. I don't mean to turn you away from what you want to do, just think it through, read up, and take advice from others that have been there before.

With that said, good luck with your build.

Last edited by JERZ350; 08-20-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 PM
buffhulk

Originally Posted by JERZ350
Like you said before, this is your DD. Initially, you seemed concerned about it's reliability. Now it seems like you want to blow Jesus' nuts off with it. First figure out what you want in a car, do a lot of research, then go ordering stuff.

If you want more reliability out of a daily driver, like i said earlier in this thread, I would go with an S/C kit. Of course SCed engines can die just the same as TCed, but it's the nature of the beast when you compare the two of them.

Just from the sounds of your previous posts, and your reasons for wanting to go the T/C route, I'm afraid all you will get is a quick ticket to the VQ destroyer group. This is most likely going to be an expensive lesson learned, only because you said you were scared or afraid, meaning you probably don't know what you're doing. I don't mean to turn you away from what you want to do, just think it through, read up, and take advice from others that have been there before.

With that said, good luck with your build.
guys i have tons of research on the matter ive even read the thread back in the day when alberto blew his motor....everybody just wants to talk **** about the kit but piping so on and so fourth im trying to find out why the kit blows motors and what i need to do to fix that.....youre right i should have bought a supercharger after reading hours and hours of threads but i have the turbonetics kit sitting my house with a new turbo so now im like what the hell do i do......im still going to enjoy the car id like a nice 350hp at 5psi something safe but it doesnt sound like its the kit its sounds like its more the engine then the kit.....oh well

Last edited by buffhulk; 08-20-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by buffhulk
guys i have tons of research on the matter ive even read the thread back in the day when alberto blew his motor....everybody just wants to talk **** about the kit but piping so on and so fourth im trying to find out why the kit blows motors and what i need to do to fix that.....youre right i should have bought a supercharger after reading hours and hours of threads but i have the turbonetics kit sitting my hows with a new turbo so now im like what the hell do i do......im still going to enjoy the car id like a nice 350hp at 5psi something safe but it doesnt sound like its the kit its sounds like its more the engine then the kit.....oh well
The VQ's a good motor, it can handle a good amount, if it is done correctly. Good install, reputable kit, great tune. Keep the boost low-moderate and don't drive it like an animal all the time. Respect it, don't rape it and it can run a good while. Problem is, a lot of people that boost their cars, love the new feeling and abuse the hell out of it, end up craving more, and brick their motors.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

guys i have tons of research on the matter ive even read the thread back in the day when alberto blew his motor....everybody just wants to talk **** about the kit but piping so on and so fourth im trying to find out why the kit blows motors and what i need to do to fix that.....youre right i should have bought a supercharger after reading hours and hours of threads but i have the turbonetics kit sitting my house with a new turbo so now im like what the hell do i do......im still going to enjoy the car id like a nice 350hp at 5psi something safe but it doesnt sound like its the kit its sounds like its more the engine then the kit.....oh well
With all due respect, you didn't do enough research. Otherwise you wouldn't have bought a TN kit in the first place and wouldn't be asking us why the kit has blown motors.

In short, the TN kit is notorious for boost spikes and high AIT's. Which is why I advised you to upgrade to a better wastegate and a larger intercooler core.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 08-20-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM
buffhulk

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
With all due respect, you didn't do enough research. Otherwise you wouldn't have bought a TN kit in the first place and wouldn't be asking us why the kit has blown motors.

In short, the TN kit is notorious for boost spikes. Which is why I advised you to upgrade to a better wastegate.
i did read that the kit was a bad kit from everyone....i even used to have the kit back in the day just never installed it cause i wrecked my car but if boost spikes seem to be the problem then thank you now i can understand why it blows motor which is all ive been trying to do in the first place......i bought this wastegate... http://www.titanmotorsports.com/prpwexwa.html
let me know if thats good enough if not ill return it and get a bigger one...thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I was building a TN kit to install. I have since sold it. But I was taking all the precautions like buying 600cc, DW300 fuel pump CJM stg-0 and a Haltech platinum pro. People would say overkill I would say safety.

Are you selling this kit on craigslist?

Chris
Old 08-20-2012, 02:15 PM
buffhulk

Originally Posted by NA&CH
I was building a TN kit to install. I have since sold it. But I was taking all the precautions like buying 600cc, DW300 fuel pump CJM stg-0 and a Haltech platinum pro. People would say overkill I would say safety.

Chris
yup thats my kit i got pretty discouraged after reading all the negative feed back that i posted it up....will see i might just throw it on after all
Old 08-20-2012, 02:17 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

i did read that the kit was a bad kit from everyone....i even used to have the kit back in the day just never installed it cause i wrecked my car but if boost spikes seem to be the problem then thank you now i can understand why it blows motor which is all ive been trying to do in the first place......i bought this wastegate... http://www.titanmotorsports.com/prpwexwa.html
let me know if thats good enough if not ill return it and get a bigger one...thanks
That wastegate is too small IMO. A pair of wastegates of that size are typically used in twin turbo apps on the VQ. Like I told you before... I recommend a 44mm TiAl MV-R or a Turbosmart Hyper-gate 45mm or Precision PW46 for a single turbo/single wastegate setup on a VQ. If you prefer Precision, get the 46mm PW46.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM
buffhulk

cool ill return it and bust it tomorrow thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 AM
buffhulk

so ill get the pw46 today and i ordered a hks ssqv like you said earlier to get rid of the blow off valve too.....got a few rolls of heat wrap and tape....for ac lines gonna put a 5 pound spring in it......now bigger turbos make more power at lower psi so if im making more power at a lower psi would i it still be considered safer then running a smaller turbo at higher psi?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

so ill get the pw46 today and i ordered a hks ssqv like you said earlier to get rid of the blow off valve too.....got a few rolls of heat wrap and tape....for ac lines gonna put a 5 pound spring in it......now bigger turbos make more power at lower psi so if im making more power at a lower psi would i it still be considered safer then running a smaller turbo at higher psi?
FAWKING HELL

You're still going to have problems with boost creep. The problem isn't JUST that the wastegate on this kit is too small, it's that the piping is all jacked up sizing. The downpipe is too small too etc. There's a video somewhere on the yous-tubes of Vinny from vtr saying on a tnetics kit 'you can't **** less than you eat' and that has to do with the small *** downpipe.

Look you got the info you want. It's not a good kit. You're going to have problems... even if it the new revised version you're going to have some kind of issues because the kit is poorly designed. Don't try to convince this community otherwise; some of the people who've posted in this very thread have lost their motor to that very kit, some people were even bulit with that kit.

You make me facepalm. It's like watching a drunk friend push you out of a way to go fawk a fat girl no rubber.... with aids.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Resmarted
You make me facepalm. It's like watching a drunk friend push you out of a way to go fawk a fat girl no rubber.... with aids.
^ That's an Alberto quality quote right there! LOL Nice pinch hit.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by NA&CH
yup thats my kit i got pretty discouraged after reading all the negative feed back that i posted it up
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Go with a quality turbo kit like the godspeed or any auction on ebay that has the words turbo 350z in it.

Quick Reply: im scared!!!! should i or not