Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

rcdash v2.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Eno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh Raj... Just read that your old motor had some issues... care to share?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well the motor is running fine and making power, a compression test 3 months ago was fine but this is where it stands as of this week:

Compression test: (cold,wot,w/plugs,1-6:139,132,112,138,130,128)
#3 spark plug has oil/buildup

Also, see attached. There is evidence of fuel in the oil - maybe washing out cylinder 3 and pretty clear evidence of piston wear (never seen before on UOA). Might have a fuel injector issue. The motor is definitely going to require a rebuild with re-bore of cylinders, new matching pistons and new HG. Rods, L19 studs, crank, cams, springs should all be fine. I am uncertain if we experienced spark blow out on cylinder three causing the fluctuating power at high rpms or if that is completely unrelated. I have asked Hal to swap out the injectors or get them tested before putting in the new motor.

Motor will still be a great deal as a core, posting to market place this weekend when ready to ship. It is also running perfectly fine and for a 500 whp car, might be just fine for a good while. There is no evidence of crankcase pressurization even with the wear on cylinder 3.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RD G35-120612.pdf (17.5 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by rcdash; 12-12-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At least the bearings are wearing nicely, if not better than some OEM engines -- not shabby for a 'loose' build. Props to the builder.

I second the motion that there could be a pretty bad injector or ignition issue on cyl3 which led to the wear and fuel in oil. I doubt it's just from startup issues -- I had about 2% in the oil after 3k miles when I had really bad start issues. 6% after 1k would probably be a chronic misfire IMO.

Last edited by djamps; 12-12-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 AM
XKR

Raj.... I had Johnny J Tran install the clutch system WOW... it makes the OSG triple feel as nice as my Carbonetics did. Way easier to drive now!!!!!

I have it set @ 50% .... RJM is a winner in my book.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM
rcdash

Glad it worked out Mike. I think I may end up with an RPS billet twin carbon.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That RJM bracket is a gift from a genius. I love mine. I actually had to re-set mine because at 75% it was softer that the OEM clutch and I wanted to at least feel like I was driving a beast car instead of a daily driver. LOL
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Triji

Hey Raj... You sell that AT Tranny yet?? I'm thinking if I have my G shipped to Hal at Dynosty it would be an easy swap with both cars being there...
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 AM
rcdash

Yep I believe it's sold - transaction due to occur next week. Will post up if it falls through.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Triji

OK cool, let me know pls... On another note damn you (lol) Just read through most of your threads and am wishing I had the coinage to just call up Hal and say "Give me the Raj" with your current build... Although I will be happy with a dependable Vortech set-up with 450ish to the wheels...
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Blackbird CPV35

Ashton has my old exedy triple carbon and I think it would do just fine for your setup Raj. It was really easy to drive on the street and it held up perfectly when I made 733 whp on Hal's dyno. I think it was the torque from the stroker motor that made it slip on Ashtons Z
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 AM
rcdash

^ thanks for the feedback. I think we will be trying an RPS billet twin carbon (strapless) with steel flywheel. This is the same clutch design that SP used in their 9 sec shop car. There is some question about availability so having a fall back is helpful.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM
rcdash

Quick update:

1. Visited Dynosty and went through a complete run down with Hal and Eddie. They spent half a day with me going through every detail. The work is looking really good - great attention to detail and the work is almost complete. Only major part missing is the ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft and that should arrive by next week.

2. Like with most of this build, based on Hal's recommendation, we decided on the RPS billet carbon/carbon clutch (quite a bit of positive feedback in the supra community as well) and selected the steel vs the aluminum flywheel to minimize noise/chatter and enhance driveability. Hopefully with the RJM bracket, I shouldn't have too much trouble going back to a 6MT after so many years in a 5AT .

3. Fuel system finalized with CJM's new dual 485/255 pump. Will run at 40 psi base fuel pressure with ID 2000cc injectors (1300cc would have been perfect for an 800 whp target on E85, but sadly the release for those appear delayed). Got rid of the boost-a-pump and complex dual voltage wiring. My HKS 1000cc injectors are for sale if anyone is looking for injectors, these idled like stock for me at 750 rpms - click here. (I will soon have my Haltech and harness, stock ECU and harness, CJM stage 2 fuel system minus the rails, among other parts for sale).

4. Both my 5AT and previous built motor have sold. The cause of the low compression was found and it appears to be a piston ring issue. Nothing to do with fueling, not detonation related, and everything else looked fine. The engine builder doing the work locally for the buyer speculated that a piston ring was installed upside down on that piston. I find it hard to believe that the motor was fine for so long with an improperly installed ring but I am not an expert. Anyway, I appreciate getting the feedback and knowing that the block should be fixed up and running shortly without too much expense.

Now that fueling has been addressed, we'll soon see what twin GTX2867 turbos can do with equal length turbo manifolds and a fully ported head!

Few teaser pics:

And decided to give the Cosworth one more try (getting the end caps powdercoated black):

Last edited by rcdash; 03-03-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 PM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good Raj! Can't wait to see/hear the results!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many carbon DS has ACPT built/sold for the G35? There's a reason why Spicer and driveshaft shop dont build a 1 piece for the G35.

DSS and spicer said the aluminum will not balance past 150mph, only the carbon fiber will, and even then.. I would get it in writing that it is balanced and GUARANTEED at well past 150 mph wheel speed. DSS said they'd build me a carbon fiber one for 1250$. If yours isnt along that same price range, i'd be wary.

Last edited by str8dum1; 03-03-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Might sound silly but whats wrong with the stock one? Or is it not carbon on the G's?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:39 PM
bmyles

It's not carbon fiber on the G35 and it's two-piece.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:55 PM
rcdash

Based on brief research, ACPT has much more experience on our platform vs the DSS. Meatbag, among others, had them made and have been in use for several years. They have all the specs for a 5AT or 6MT in house. They use all new hardware, unlike DSS which requires a core and re-uses old parts. By the way, we contacted the DSS and they were willing to build a 1 piece unit I believe (scavenging my core). They just needed too much extra time as they are moving facilities at the moment.

Switching from a 5AT to 6MT, I had to change driveshafts. A new OEM one costs roughly $700. An aluminum one would have been cheaper but the issue of harmonics with a one piece would be a concern. The carbon fiber seemed the safest choice. It does cost $1250 for an ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft as well as the DSS one.

Here is a thread from 2006: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...ml#post2221934. In that thread, they claim 1500 whp strength. Not sure about top speed now off the top of my head, but I recall looking up the harmonics for the different materials and I don't think my car can hit the speed required to reach a resonant frequency for carbon fiber.

Here is a link to the ACPT site devoted to drive shafts: http://www.acpt.com/Products/Composite-Driveshafts.aspx

Powertrain Industries is the actual distributor and they balance the shaft manufactured by ACPT: https://www.powertrainindustries.com/products.htm

The last thought I'll leave you with relative to carbon fiber is that when it does let go, it lets go safely. There will be no shrapnel flying around the under carriage.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-03-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Triji

Looking good Raj ...

On your Cosworth, if that is your actual one pictured, is it polished or powdercoated? I am up in the air on polishing mine or powdercoating it in a black chrome finish.

PS, did you see my baby siting there and tell her I said "Hi" at least? .... Miss my girl!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Eno

Looks like all is moving forward nicely- I see that cf ds has come up again... Rrrrr. What do they say about not leading into temptation? That's right... I can find my own way- but though nobody had ever proclaimed massive gains or anything drivers continuously remark about how much tighter the car feels. Many good points about acpt as well.

Great update raj.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by Triji
Looking good Raj ...

On your Cosworth, if that is your actual one pictured, is it polished or powdercoated? I am up in the air on polishing mine or powdercoating it in a black chrome finish.

PS, did you see my baby siting there and tell her I said "Hi" at least? .... Miss my girl!
That is my actual Cosworth unit and it came polished from Cosworth. The polishing from Cosworth is near perfect (apparently the results from the factory are sometimes variable and Dynosty sometimes ships out polished units to be polished again by a 3rd party). Black chrome would look nice and require much less time to complete (polishing can take up to 4 weeks apparently). I think you'd definitely want to get the gunmetal end caps coated to match.

Your car was there, looking absolutely gorgeous. I'm trying to get mine out of the way so your baby can take the spotlight . Those guys have an incredible S2000 project going on also among many other cars waiting in queue.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-03-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: rcdash v2.0