Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

synthetic or non synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:39 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Here's a fun dynosty fact, hal built/owns one of the fastest 2j sc300's out there (back in the day). In fact, I saw his build years before I had the Z and almost made me choose an sc300 when I was picking a platform to work with.
I remember the car. Never saw it in person because I didn't know hal until after it was long gone.

So they still run conventional in their race engines? I know for the private kawasaki team I built engines for I had them run Honda GN4 only in the motors (well, I was the one doing all the service so it was I that put the oil in). Those engines were torn down after every race so it really didn't matter to run the conventional oil but it any other high performance engine that I ran more than 1 race I prefer to have synthetic in it after break in.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
I remember the car. Never saw it in person because I didn't know hal until after it was long gone.

So they still run conventional in their race engines? I know for the private kawasaki team I built engines for I had them run Honda GN4 only in the motors (well, I was the one doing all the service so it was I that put the oil in). Those engines were torn down after every race so it really didn't matter to run the conventional oil but it any other high performance engine that I ran more than 1 race I prefer to have synthetic in it after break in.
I believe so actually. If I recall the convo correctly with dustin roughly "wait gtx in all your cars?" "yep, all of them" me "huh".

Lol.

To be totally honest I was going to do dino break in then switch to synthetic, but when I thought about how often I'm going to change the oil, I really don't see any true benefit from running non dino.
FWIW though, in my turbo only oil system I'm going to run royal purple... may switch to ams or the like but definitely sticking with synthetic to reduce how often I have to change it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Rsenger701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from experience I've seen turbo motors that were on non-synthetic oil had really plugged and nasty lifters in the head. It could of been a poorly treated car too. I'd recommend synthetic just be careful of seal leaks.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 AM
racer59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used motul 300v for years in our race engines, we used to run a sr20 at 30 psi boost and 600hp do 2 seasons racing and the bearings are still servicable. so far the same with the vq.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rsenger701
from experience I've seen turbo motors that were on non-synthetic oil had really plugged and nasty lifters in the head. It could of been a poorly treated car too. I'd recommend synthetic just be careful of seal leaks.
I wouldn't worry about seal leaks. Seals don't leak because of oil they leak because they are worn out. People that say synthetic oil caused a leak usually have old worn out seals and engines that are basically not leaking due to the nasty crap that builds up from conventional oil or poor maintenance. Then they switch to a synthetic or a lighter oil that can find the poor sealing areas of the worn seals and causes a leak.

Originally Posted by racer59
I have used motul 300v for years in our race engines, we used to run a sr20 at 30 psi boost and 600hp do 2 seasons racing and the bearings are still servicable. so far the same with the vq.
300v is a great oil but very expensive. I can't justify the cost but I would run it if someone else paid for it. lol
Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
I wouldn't worry about seal leaks. Seals don't leak because of oil they leak because they are worn out. People that say synthetic oil caused a leak usually have old worn out seals and engines that are basically not leaking due to the nasty crap that builds up from conventional oil or poor maintenance. Then they switch to a synthetic or a lighter oil that can find the poor sealing areas of the worn seals and causes a leak.

Totally agree. Seals don't leak because of synthetic or non synthetic. They leak because of being old, or being improperly installed. Speaking of leaks, really worried about my RMS... reused my oem one, and didn't exactly pay much attention when I installed it (it was on the engine stand and I just kinda tapped it on). I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it starts leaking like a stuck pig on first start... But I've got a ways to go before first start! NO DAMN TIME ANYMORE
Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Totally agree. Seals don't leak because of synthetic or non synthetic. They leak because of being old, or being improperly installed. Speaking of leaks, really worried about my RMS... reused my oem one, and didn't exactly pay much attention when I installed it (it was on the engine stand and I just kinda tapped it on). I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it starts leaking like a stuck pig on first start... But I've got a ways to go before first start! NO DAMN TIME ANYMORE
So change the rear main with a new one. Whole housing and seal. Why risk it leaking especially when you seem to be second guessing it?