Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:05 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Car looks great! Congrats!

Btw, you’re in the Phoenix area, right? We should roll out to Cars & Coffee or the Pavilions sometime!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Triji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Car looks great! Congrats!

Btw, you’re in the Phoenix area, right? We should roll out to Cars & Coffee or the Pavilions sometime!
Thanks, she's coming along... I used to go out there on Saturdays a cpl years ago before she ran into her issues. You talking about in the MC-D's parking lot there?

Once I get her back I will probably roll on back down there so I am sure we could hook up.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:05 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ran out of MAF? Seems to be a common thread with high powered Vortech Z's...

Originally Posted by Triji
Break in is done but they ran into some bugs on the dyno during tuning and are trying to diagnose a couple of issues.

As soon as I have more info I will post it up.

Staying positive here with a good attitude...
Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Triji

Originally Posted by 350z006
Ran out of MAF? Seems to be a common thread with high powered Vortech Z's...
Have Haltech installed and they are tuning via MAP so MAF should not be an issue here...

They are currently checking the crank and cam sensors to rule that out and then looking into the wiring.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:20 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Hope you get this figured out soon. Can't wait to see what it puts down. It just wouldn't be right if you didn't run into some type of problems in the beginning, lol
Old 10-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Triji

Update...

My POS AAMCO tranny is not holding the power and is slipping early at only about 325ish TQ....

Time to think about what I am going to do....

Manual swap... (not keen on that with traffic out here)
GTM built auto tranny (4-6 weeks out = more wait)
Try another G auto tranny (and no guarantees it will hold any more than 400tq)

I am leaning towards giving the GTM tranny a try...

Will let ya know what I decide to do.... Anyone have any other inputs or options, let me know... Thanks.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Damn man that sucks. Just get dynosty to throw in a manual, lol.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by meanz
Damn man that sucks. Just get dynosty to throw in a manual, lol.
The cost involved in that is kinda high and I have put quite a bit into this build so far already... Plus I am getting old (lol) and rowing thru the gears in traffic is not something I would look all that forward to actually... Have not had a manual in over 10 years now and I guess I am getting lazy (lol) ...

If I went with just another auto tranny there would be no guarantee that it could hold more than this one and I would be held back to no more than 400tq anyway...

I'll call GTM again in the AM and see if they can get one done in 4 weeks without getting the run around on delays...
Old 10-13-2013, 05:54 PM
the3kgt2

lol GTM without delays? That's hilarious
Old 10-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Eno

Must have an anti all caps function.

Just wait until Ogie gets wind that you're even thinking about GTM.

IPT > GTM

Last edited by Eno; 10-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Triji

Yeah I know guys.... I have read all the threads out there and the horror stories of all the different places...

That's why I'm stuck right now... Hate to have this beautiful new build stuck a low tq cause of my tranny issues...

And finding a reliable tranny builder is not easy from everything I have read.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Eno

Hate to say it but it may be worth sitting for a bit and waiting for the next built tranny owner to swap to an MT.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by Eno
Hate to say it but it may be worth sitting for a bit and waiting for the next built tranny owner to swap to an MT.
Yeah, she's sitting right now at about 400whp and 325ish tq and then starts to slip pretty bad with much more to give but the tranny wont give anymore than that...

I almost got Raj's old tranny but he sold it a bit to quick for me to pick up... He had a GTM tranny that held up pretty good... That's why I was considering them actually, from his experience.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you guys with the autos need to get one of the big name companys to start building like billet pistons and internals for these SUPPOSEDLY gtm sells them but i wouldnt trust it. mayby different clutch materials too would have to contact raybestos see what they offer. the GTM seems to still use OE face material on there clutchs, kevlar would be way better for torque handling with good temp resistance, the sw carbon even better but more temp sensitive or the power torque they make for diesels placed on some discs for your trans.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
you guys with the autos need to get one of the big name companys to start building like billet pistons and internals for these SUPPOSEDLY gtm sells them but i wouldnt trust it. mayby different clutch materials too would have to contact raybestos see what they offer. the GTM seems to still use OE face material on there clutchs, kevlar would be way better for torque handling with good temp resistance, the sw carbon even better but more temp sensitive or the power torque they make for diesels placed on some discs for your trans.
Agreed on not trusting GTM
They said their built tranny barely holds 600whp...
I do think they use alto clutches (which I've owned lol) which should be upgraded material and at least increase the number of friction plates
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if they are reds they are better, they also have a oem equivalent. neither will compare to something like the kevlar or better clutchs though, that, with the increased number of clutchs, and stronger billet pistons should increase holding capacity a good deal. billet internals would also allow stronger parts and mayby thinner to allow even more clutchs.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GTM

LOL! I hear ya Eno, but I'm out a
breath bashin' GTM... I've done shouted it 'round the world with a few others.....
Who knows, in 4-5 months my IPT may be for sale too.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Triji

I think Hal mentioned he had a guy local to him that had a top notch tranny shop... I may see what he would charge to re-build it with one of these kits http://www.importperformancetrans.co...-kit-1867.html

That way its being done there local to Dynosty and they can keep an eye on it's progress...

Would have to call IPT and see what this kit all includes... If it's reds or what...Don't see a breakdown list on the site just a pic...

I already have a built TQ converter and the transgo ready to go... So just need the guts...
Old 10-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Triji
I think Hal mentioned he had a guy local to him that had a top notch tranny shop... I may see what he would charge to re-build it with one of these kits http://www.importperformancetrans.co...-kit-1867.html

That way its being done there local to Dynosty and they can keep an eye on it's progress...

Would have to call IPT and see what this kit all includes... If it's reds or what...Don't see a breakdown list on the site just a pic...

I already have a built TQ converter and the transgo ready to go... So just need the guts...
You're pretty much there with the shift kit and tq converter. Just need a spacer for the pan (more fluid, dynosty could probably have one made) and a cooler. I do think there are deeper aftermarket pans made for titans and such... Just searched, they have deep pans that are a bit over 200$. Order one.

Jerry you may be onto something there... I'd love to have a factory auto that could hold power. I have one sitting in my garage ffs.

Last edited by Resmarted; 10-14-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Eno

The guys from my old shop in Van had driven both and preferred the IPT (basically the trans upgrade they do for the Titan) over the GTM but it was mostly because of the ride quality. I'm not sure I've taken the trans to where RCDash took his in terms of power... however one of the comments I heard consistently was that GTM was a "hard shifter." IPT feels like stock until you hammer on it at which point the gloves come off while GTM always seemed to be rougher. (that's coming from the guys at the shop- I haven't driven a GTM trans).

Either way a solid ATF cooler and that deep dish pan are great ideas regardless...

Last edited by Eno; 10-14-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)