Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 AM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trans pan and cooler

Agree on bigger trans pan (PML), cooler and Transgo kit. I initially spoke with PML about making a Z pan like the titan, before it was available. I bought PML titan pan (baffled inside), had about 1.5 inches cut out for ground clearance, powdercoated and rewelded. The new Z pans by PML are not baffled internally like the titan (see their site), but they can be drilled for a temp gauge and they are finned.

I would suggest spraying it with a thermal heat dispersant rather than powdercoating it as I mistakenly did.

http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11091.php
Attached Thumbnails VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)-transmission-pan-pmt.jpg   VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)-powdercoated-core-support-installed-oil-coolers-only.jpg  

Last edited by ogiehooker; 10-14-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Eno
The guys from my old shop in Van had driven both and preferred the IPT (basically the trans upgrade they do for the Titan) over the GTM but it was mostly because of the ride quality. I'm not sure I've taken the trans to where RCDash took his in terms of power... however one of the comments I heard consistently was that GTM was a "hard shifter." IPT feels like stock until you hammer on it at which point the gloves come off while GTM always seemed to be rougher. (that's coming from the guys at the shop- I haven't driven a GTM trans).

Either way a solid ATF cooler and that deep dish pan are great ideas regardless...
Shifting harder is definitely preferred on an automatic. The harder the shift, the faster. The faster the shift, the less wear on clutch assemblies. It sucks because it makes the car less fun to daily, but hey trade offs must happen. That should be just a reflection of the line pressure/valvebody settings. I do know there are aftermarket tranny controllers you can use, but I'm not sure how they affect solenoid line pressure.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:45 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sadly not my area, mayby down the road its not something beyond my ability simply a matter of having the tooling. gona be a couple years at least before i have any CNC capability.

no reason not to at least consult a shop though that does do the stuff.
Originally Posted by Resmarted
You're pretty much there with the shift kit and tq converter. Just need a spacer for the pan (more fluid, dynosty could probably have one made) and a cooler. I do think there are deeper aftermarket pans made for titans and such... Just searched, they have deep pans that are a bit over 200$. Order one.

Jerry you may be onto something there... I'd love to have a factory auto that could hold power. I have one sitting in my garage ffs.

Last edited by jerryd87; 10-14-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Triji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently looking at two options...

Getting the rebuild kit and having the tranny shop near Dynosty put it together: http://www.importperformancetrans.co...-kit-1867.html

Just wondering if the small amount of operation thus far would have created any issues with the new transgo kit and the new upgraded TQ converter... I don't think it should have as the crap AAMCO tranny was pretty much new with hardly any wear on it at all. It was just subpar parts to hold the HP / TQ of this build...

Or send in the tranny to IPT and have them build it for $4300 http://www.importperformancetrans.co...sion-4379.html

Called and talked to them a bit today and they gave me a 10 day turn around time (much better than the 4-6 weeks GTM quoted, and it would probably be longer than that from what I hear) from when they receive the tranny to do the build and send it back... Plus they give a 12 month warranty on the build and say It should be able to hold 550+ hp.

They would go thru the valve body and the TQ converter as well to make sure it was good to go.

Also looking at that deeper pan (thanks ogie) ... I am so friggn low tho that it would probably scrape on everything under the sun... I need to raise her a bit...

Last edited by Triji; 10-14-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:56 PM
ogiehooker

Default Low oil pan

Triji,

I bought a chasis brace that protects the trans pan...forgot...oh yeah, tanabe...it is low too stock out tha box so I had the mounting plates cut down 1/2 inch or so and powdercoated it...I am low tooo but the brace has scraped only a few times on speed bumps.....The PML pan is a little safer than mine as I built my own from the titan pan and I am another 1/2 or so lower..

IPT also told me about 10 days or so on turnaround....was more like 3 weeks or more and I could never rwach them by phone..At the time they said it would hold 700, but I don't remember if that was RWHP or not...

Its been 2.5 yrs since I began my build so I haven't even driven the car with the IPT yet!

Still may go to Gm once its broken in and all bugs worked out.
Attached Thumbnails VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)-350z-tanabe-underchassis-brace-nice-protection.jpg   VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)-20130604_162404.jpg   VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)-350z-modified-trans-pan-inside-view.jpg   VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)-350z-pml-modified-trans-pan.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Triji

3 weeks still isn't too bad... When quoted 10 days I don't count weekend days so that's 2 weeks right there and only one week extra when dealing with builds is pretty darn good actually when you think about it.

If I get the deeper pan I would probably go with the one you linked to actually as it doesn't look quite as low... And then I'll save my pennies again and get coilovers in 6 mo to a year once I get her back to raise her a bit... I am lowered on Espelir springs right now and it's just about an inch too low for my taste.

That brace looks pretty solid and nice but I'm in a G and I don't want to fab too much stuff up... Hell I am also taking out my stereo set up which weighed a cpl hundred pounds in the trunk so that should raise her about 1/2" once I get that out... Friggn subs and amps weigh a ton!.. Not to mention the TV's.... Think I am done with the show car scene so no more need for that extra weight.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Triji

Ok....

Shipping the tranny off to IPT next week for their build...

Crossing fingers that this thing will hold...

Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 PM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Hope everything works out!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Eno

I've been happy with mine.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by Eno
I've been happy with mine.
You have an IPT tranny?.... Cool.. I was looking for someone who has one... Tried searching to no avail and even posted up a thread in 'engine / drivetrain' and did not get any responses ...

What is your power level Eno? ... How is maintenance on it and how long have you been running it?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by meanz
Hope everything works out!
Thanks man... An extra 4.5K I was not expecting but I hope it will be money well spent... I could have just gone with a new G tranny for 2.3K but then I would still be limited to whatever that tranny could hold so I decided to just bite the bullet and do it right....
Old 10-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Eno

I've had some power adding mods done since I initially ran 516hp/475tq so there is some juice there but nothing crazy. I haven't tracked it yet but the driveability is very good. When you hammer on it the shifting is very deliberate but it's still an auto- you need to get used to when IT wants to shift and leave it the opening. You can kind of trick it to shift on your terms but you really need to drive it to know what I mean.

I have complained about the 1-2 shift lag and tuners have tried to do some adjustments for me but its still there. I have the groundig kit too and though I'm dubious it made much of a difference in my stock trans I'm quite certain the difference is more obvious with the built trans and higher power. May just be placebo- that's an argument for another thread.

I've heard split reports about how to best shift the IPT- some say best to just leave tiptronic out of it... Others say its better for the trans to ONLY use tiptronic. Frankly- I'm still not sure whether it makes a difference.

The guys at my shop liked the IPT better than the GTM but the GTM MAY have held more power... Who knows. I'm handcuffed to small-ish turbos so I doubt I'll be able to get up to where raj was with his kit... But I think Ogie will run high 5s on his. I think you and I both will be watching for his feedback.

Last edited by Eno; 10-20-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by Eno
I've had some power adding mods done since I initially ran 516hp/475tq so there is some juice there but nothing crazy. I haven't tracked it yet but the driveability is very good. When you hammer on it the shifting is very deliberate but it's still an auto- you need to get used to when IT wants to shift and leave it the opening. You can kind of trick it to shift on your terms but you really need to drive it to know what I mean.

I have complained about the 1-2 shift lag and tuners have tried to do some adjustments for me but its still there. I have the groundig kit too and though I'm dubious it made much of a difference in my stock trans I'm quite certain the difference is more obvious with the built trans and higher power. May just be placebo- that's an argument for another thread.

I've heard split reports about how to best shift the IPT- some say best to just leave tiptronic out of it... Others say its better for the trans to ONLY use tiptronic. Frankly- I'm still not sure whether it makes a difference.

The guys at my shop liked the IPT better than the GTM but the GTM MAY have held more power... Who knows. I'm handcuffed to small-ish turbos so I doubt I'll be able to get up to where raj was with his kit... But I think Ogie will run high 5s on his. I think you and I both will be watching for his feedback.
Thanks for the feedback... I found the post on your build and read some of your 'early' quirks with the tranny but it seems like everything smoothed out for you other than the 1-2 shift...

I already have a new high stall TC and a Transgo so I am hoping to use those with their rebuild tranny... I am sending it to IPT this week so am hoping to have it back in 2-3 weeks and get my girl back up on the Dyno and tuned by mid Nov and have her back in my Garage by early / mid Dec if everything goes smoothly with the tranny...
Old 10-20-2013, 04:39 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You will enjoy the 5AT with FI power. It's a great combination. I am pretty sure I am still slower with my 6MT with near 700 whp vs my 5AT with 550 whp. It's a different experience. Fun either way!
Old 10-20-2013, 04:40 PM
jerryd87

have any of you guys with the 5AT's checked into the SFR tranny? see what if anything they do different from the GTM or IPT?
Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM
ogiehooker

Default Transgo vs ipt valve bosy

I actually drove my car when I took the SC off and drove the car home with IPT to be trailered to G4M 2.5 yrs ago...LOL...

I did notice, as Eno stated, that the IPT is a little "softer" at partial throttle openings than the transgo, which I prefer...The Transgo valve body hits hard and spins wheels NA even in 3rd gear....

HOPEFULLY I'll have Dino info by Thanksgiving says SFR (LOL) but I ain't holdin' my breath....

Freaking powder coaters in SD area SUCK at giving accurate time frames.../

Was told 3-5 days to coat/polish parts and I am at 5 weeks now and PISSED....Can anyone in the auto industry tell the truth or at least not BS?

Hope to have you info at 14 psi soon with 505/50 W/M and 91 octane.

New custom catch can/pwr steering can with mount pic coming soon.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Eno

Had the transgo onboard as well and asked them about it but the answer I got was basically that they do their own modifications and the transgo is basically moot. To be honest I felt the transgo shifted better but I never got to test it at my power leVel. Blew up the motor before I had a chance.

And to Jerry... Never looked into anything seriously when my shop said "go IPT. " main reason was they built the upgrqded trans specifically for the titans (same trans). Very few Gs had them that I'm aware of.

And op- I know it was a couple years ago now but I was told 10 days and I think turn around was as predicted- 2 and a half weeks or so.

Last edited by Eno; 10-20-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:51 PM
ogiehooker

Default Sfr tran

I asked Tim the other day and he told me who does their trans but I forget who it is..I'll find out this week..Tim and his new baby are sick..

He tells me the main problem with the jatco trans is the small drum and lack of surface area..I already asked about billet parts etc, but he says the drums the problem....

His site does say their trans will hold 750-RWHP but I highly doubt that...
Old 10-20-2013, 05:00 PM
jerryd87

should be able to make billet thinner then to increase surface area while maintaining the same strength. most people when they think billet think same thickness and stronger part. if its not reasonable to do(i havnt had these trannys apart) then it needs a stronger friction material, mayby get raybestos to make there high end diesel stuff for the r-55 downside to that is prob need a heavier duty cooler and they wont last as long. but always a compromise in this industry.

also ogie i tell the truth when working with people, granted i dont have a shop yet lol
Originally Posted by ogiehooker
I asked Tim the other day and he told me who does their trans but I forget who it is..I'll find out this week..Tim and his new baby are sick..

He tells me the main problem with the jatco trans is the small drum and lack of surface area..I already asked about billet parts etc, but he says the drums the problem....

His site does say their trans will hold 750-RWHP but I highly doubt that...

Last edited by jerryd87; 10-20-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by rcdash
You will enjoy the 5AT with FI power. It's a great combination. I am pretty sure I am still slower with my 6MT with near 700 whp vs my 5AT with 550 whp. It's a different experience. Fun either way!
That's what I am hoping... I was quoted a price to do a manual swap but decided against that in the end because it was pricy and I already have quite a bit invested in this build currently. Not to mention I am getting old and lazy and don't want to have to row thru gears in traffic anymore.

I'll just make sure to do a tranny fluid change every other oil change.

Quick Reply: VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)