Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

my turbo build - TN

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 456 Likes on 370 Posts

I would buy the Belkin fsu409 adapter. I use two of those to connect to UTI with the utec and my LC-1. ( I got one off ebay for like $12) I'm also using the 550cc TN map as a base with my godspeed kit. What boost are you running?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM
axeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just WGA boost right now, 8psi. In all honesty I probably won't bump it any higher. I have a nice conservative (read: rich) tune on it right now, and it's a TON of fun to drive.

Keeps me grinnin' the whole time I'm driving it. I'll take a video at lunch for you guys.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 AM
iideadeyeii

I'm starting at 3-4 and moving my way up to 5-6. Easier to tune a 1psi increments. I also had experience on the MS for tuning, so glad to see another DIY-er. Are you going to end up using the UTI-ME to just adjust every cell manually?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 AM
axeman

I probably won't tweak too much of it manually. I might use the ME to smooth the transitions a bit, but I plan on using the UTI's autotune functionality to tweak the map based on AFR targets and datalogs. Sort of like MS with Tunerstudio, but not live (more passive).

Also, props to you for trying the godspeed kit. That was going to be my plan initially, but I couldn't get the eBay sellers to sell me everything in the kit but the turbo (I don't trust those turbos). Pipes/intercoolet/etc is one thing, but a turbo isn't something I was willing to risk. Plus, I had/have a precision T04B-60-1 Hifi sitting here on the shelf. But, all of that fell through when I ran across this kit on the forums.

Anyways, here's a short vid. I took a lot more footage on the gopro, but this was a nice, clean, short clip that didn't need splicing.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 AM
iideadeyeii

The turbo seals are no good at boost, exhaust piping/intake didn't fit without modification and leaks were everywhere on v-band exhaust. If you're interested in looking I have all updates on first post.
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...t-started.html
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 PM
axeman

Been driving the car like crazy--this thing is amazing to drive.

Got pulled over yesterday for window tint...funny story because my windows were rolled down...yeah. First time in 5 years I've had a problem with it, and the first time in about 4 that I've even been pulled over. Luckily I didn't even get a fix-it ticket, which makes me think he was just profiling me.

Anyways, I was out cruising tonight and decided to do an impromptu photo shoot in a parking structure; thought I'd share:
Old 05-24-2013, 08:49 PM
bmyles

A 1/2" - 1" drop would complete the look!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 PM
axeman

Any recommendations for a suspension setup?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:58 AM
Drako_MDx

Originally Posted by axeman
Any recommendations for a suspension setup?
Bang for your buck... BC Racing Coilovers.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:35 AM
bmyles

There's a local here who does a lot of drifting/autox rocking K Sports. $150 cheaper than BC Racing from ConceptZ, but whatever works. I plan on getting K Sports most likely.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM
axeman

Been having way too much fun--here's a vid:

Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 AM
iideadeyeii

Have you got the logs to work with your current map in UTI-ME for the tune feature. There is no documentation on the ME on how to do this. (I'm just chaning cell hits manually as of right now)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
bmyles

Unfortunately, that vid shows you going a little too fast on a public road

Your car sounds great, though!

Last edited by bmyles; 05-28-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:13 PM
axeman

Guess you were right. Here's one at an autocross today:

Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 AM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump for updates. Did you ever get it professionally tuned? Dyno results? 1/4 mile results? suspension updates. Are you running 8psi all day long?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:27 AM
axeman

Sorry for lack of updates--been pretty busy with school and whatnot. I took the bar exam last month and have subsequently started a new job and am only just starting to get back into “normal” life—working on cars and having evenings off and not studying. But no, I haven’t had time to take it to a dyno shop or to the strip. And nope, I never got it professionally tuned. I couldn’t find anyone local who would even touch the thing. The closest shop I could find was down in the middle of Kentucky. I forget the name of the shop, to be honest. The guy I talked to was super nice and helpful, but by the time I weighed the cost of gas, taking time off work, and the “starting” price of the tune, I decided that it would actually be less expensive for me to try to tune it myself, blow it up, and replace the engine if need be. Plus that would give me a great excuse to do a proper engine build.

As wildly insane as that may sound, I did actually end up with a great tune on the thing. The UTEC tune that I had simply scaled by adding values worked great under WOT, and it seemed to cruise pretty well, but I would get random codes for misfires and whatnot (when I was just cruising under no significant load…). I also noticed that the wideband readout was a bit richer than it ought to have been. This led to some thinking, and I ended up re-scaling the map using multiplication as opposed to simple addition. This took a LOT longer than the other method, because the map editing software I was using does not support scaling by multiplication, so I had to export it to excel and do all the changes in there. Another feature lacking in the software is the ability to paste data in from excel (or, if there is a way to do it I haven’t figured it out yet), so I had to type all the values in by hand. Took forever, but the map is much smoother now and I haven’t been getting engine codes. And yeah, running 8psi all day, and I don’t baby the thing. I’m not out wailing on it, but I don’t drive it like a grandma either.

The only other changes I can think of are that I put a supertrapp on the wastegate dump. That quieted it down a LOT and I really like the sound it has now.

Some weird stuff that I haven’t figured out though:
-My BOV sounds COMPLETLEY different now. No explanation for the change…I made no adjustments or anything. I just got out and drove it one evening and the thing was about 10x louder. I sort of liked it more before the change, but I’m getting used to it now. Not sure if it was stuck before and has freed up now, or if maybe the diaphragm is ripped now. I don’t have any boost leaks or anything, so I’m a bit stumped. Not too worried about it though.
-AC quit suddenly and without explanation. I didn’t hear or observe the telltale signs of a burned-through line, and as I’ve mentioned I took a lot of steps to make sure the underhood temps were well managed, but I still don’t know what else it could be. I tried to add some more refrigerant to the system to see if that would help, but it appeared that there was still some remaining in the system and even after topping it off it didn’t get *really* cold. My best guess is either a slow leak somewhere or a messed up pressure sensor/transducer. I’ll make sure to check it out when I get under there for my next oil change.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM
iideadeyeii

I'm constantly running my a/c to keep the lines colder.