Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

greddy twin build...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:35 PM
tcode

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Buck-...YAAOSwwpdW3ZZM
Old 09-27-2018, 08:17 AM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
I think it does but I didnt know if this was the best method? Did you put all your sensors on one 5v source or did you use a single pin for each sensor?
I'm pretty sure I use the same 5V power source for all the sensors. It's been a long time since I've looked at all the wiring though.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:18 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

This works for me and has enough capacity to supply all of your sensors that require 5v. Or you can use the feed from your ECU designed for 5V supply. It's just convenient sometimes not to have to lengthen wire from inside the compartment though. I never thought about the 5V lines from the stock ECU... irrelevant for me since I don't have stock ECU any longer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C63TLCC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C63TLCC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by rcdash; 09-27-2018 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 02:04 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,300 Likes on 1,024 Posts

RC - what ECU are you running?

in the pantheon of 'whats gonna break' I'd rather not introduce another device that could go out. I may grab 5volts from the ECU as there are 5 or 6 supplied 5-volt pins.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:31 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Two questions though, what rear tires are you running? and how much power are you making?

Depending on your answers I'd highly recommend you sort out your boost by gear/speed (mph) before using traction control. It works incredibly well and is less intrusive than traction control. If a car has a decent tire on it (555R drag radial, etc.) I'll usually have full boost ramp up by the top of first gear/bottom of second gear. I typically want the car to be able to rev steadily through first gear completely with a bit of wheel spin.

To answer your questions - Ive got two sets of tires ... the enkei RPF1s 18x10.5 w/ toyo R888r (track tires) or the advan RS 18x9 w/toyo proxes 4+ (street). Power is in the 500-600 for the time being.

I'll look into the boost by gear too ...

That table makes sense ... I have a few options:

2D table that only allows TC slip allowed (until ign/fuel cut activates) by gear
3D table where I can choose my axis' ... further more, I have the option to add a second slip threshold table that I believe is activated by a switch.

It scares the **** out of me to drive with no TC ... especially considering my rear-axle doesnt have as much weight on it and that I have a healthy amount of power - dont need to be a new dodge viper owner...

I did get the car out today and the fuel pump worked well ... fuel pressure stayed steady and increased with boost. Problem solved.

Also going to use the ECU to supply the 5volts - tuner said it was fine.

Last edited by bealljk; 09-27-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 PM
tcode

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

As long as your current consumption over ECU's 5V outputs is within spec (typically 50mA max.), you're good.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:05 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by tcode
As long as your current consumption over ECU's 5V outputs is within spec (typically 50mA max.), you're good.
chatted with Link and they pointed me to pin 48 which is a 5volt power output for the AC system. Seeing that AC is long gone pin 48 will work fine. They also said it was fine to run my two sensors off this 5volt supply.

fun fact for anyone reading this doing something similar - grounding analog sensors to the chassis is frowned upon and they should be gounded to a ECU ground pin instead. I will be using Pin 82 for anyone playing at home.

A little error on my part - my oil pressure signal was going to come in on a cruise control input but this would be problematic as that is a pull-up connection - so I relocated it per Links recommendation.

Last edited by bealljk; 09-29-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:41 AM
aarrgghh

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

One thing you may want to consider is using a 2d map to adjust ignition timing (retard) before cutting it or fuel for TC. I use the boost by gear to get it close (just consistently slipping) then the wheel speed diff by gear to turn down boost and timing on my Haltech. Works very well, and doesn't ever feel like its over interfering.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 12:51 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Yea - boost by gear is essential ... it's almost inherent in-that I don't start hitting boost until 3000-3500rpm and by that time I have a good amount of ground-speed/wheel speed under me.

the downside with the Link 2d table is that it's locked to "%% slip allowed before TC is enacted by gear". I found a sample map on the Link sponsored forum that has a simple example that I'm going to use for the time being.
1st - 12% slip
2nd - 10% slip
3rd - 8% slip
4th through 6th - 5% slip
Old 10-02-2018, 05:19 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

well sht fellas ... out tonight to get some datalogs and I think I fcked something out...sorta what WTFMike was seeing ... low oil pressure and bad sounds coming from the det-cans. Was able to limp home was maybe able to get 30psi of oil pressure at cruise. A few arrows pointing to my oil filter relocation kit mix up?? Not 100% sure. No oil dripping from the car, no smoke, nothing looks apparently wrong but it sounds like hell.

was not looking forward to this...horrible feeling in my stomach

Also the belt came off my alternator so I essentially drained the battery getting home. Gonna try to start it and roll a video

It might be time for the winter shutdown!

Last edited by bealljk; 10-02-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:28 PM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Time to cut open a filter that's no bueno. I've been pretty lucky this season racing almost every weekend and my motor is pretty solid. It fills the catch can in 10-12 pulls on 24psi so it's probably time to refresh the short block but I couldn't be happier with how it's performed this year. I have it turned way up and it just keeps on eating.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:48 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

^ For sure ... I'll get into it - I'll do compression pretty quick here and then look at the oil, oil filter, and get in to the heads.

From 10k feet (obviously sucks) but I got a a killer exam next april that I should be studying for and I should be messing with the car as little as possible.

Im going to speculate and say this was an oiling issue. I really think something got twisted the few days before my dyno. The car didnt sound right driving home that day. I'm going to speculate and say broken / bent valve based on how the exhaust note has been off.

And you know what ... maybe it's time to part ways with the greddy setup and look into a large single?? Maybe go crazy lightweight and find an L30 chassis and swap into?? Maybe this is the best thing to ever happen to me!!!

Last edited by bealljk; 10-02-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:20 PM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

If your having an oil psi issue it's most likely a bearing issue unfortunately man. I highly doubt it bent a valve and kept on running. Usually when that happens they break and drop and destroy all kinds of sh#t then won't run at all. If the car hasn't sounded right in a while I would guess it had a misfire of some sort. Could be an injector not firing correctly or low compression in a cylinder that's slightly firing. Just my $.02 man. Usually spun bearings are a symptom of high cylinder pressures.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:08 PM
WTFMike

Damn, that sucks man. I agree with TT03Z, if you have low oil pressure it's likely a bearing issue. On my car I think I was getting main cap walk. But I'll know more when I get my motor out next week. There could be any number of things that caused bearing damage. How many miles are on your motor? Believe me, I feel your pain. Hopefully you'll be able to get it sorted asap.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:36 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

would a spun bearing give the exhaust a different cadence & note? I distinctly remember it having a different tone these last few driving session.

I'm gonna try to get it started and get video, get compression, then drop the oil, drop the coolant, and go from there...a lot to take in and alot of options to consider. Aside from these diagnostic tests I'm not gonna do anything for a week or so...

Part of me wants to part-out the twin setup and go single ...

Got enough charge in the battery to get the car started - videos attached (not sure why theyre not inserted into the thread):
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (2.85 MB, 29 views)
File Type: mov
Video-2.MOV (3.00 MB, 25 views)

Last edited by bealljk; 10-02-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Tran251

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damm. Bealljk. I’d pull it apart before it does too much damage. Sounds like a bearings. Time for a refresh and sleeving!! Yes!
Maybe you can pull it all apart and save the pistons, crank and hopefully all of the rods.
All the sudden it started pinging and this happened? Did you get a bad batch of fuel maybe?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:32 PM
WTFMike

I'm no expert. But that sounds like a rod knock to me. IMO, you probably spun a bearing. Sorry man.

Last edited by WTFMike; 10-02-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:13 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

That sounds similar to when I effed up my stockblock, had the same squeaking noise with the knocking. I'm really sorry as well for you, man. I have been there, feels like S%$#. Only way to know for sure though is to crack the block open and see whats really wrong.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:40 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

here ya go....ls swap

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s7-engine.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...id-engine.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-complete.html
Old 10-06-2018, 05:46 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Tran251
Damm. Bealljk. I’d pull it apart before it does too much damage. Sounds like a bearings. Time for a refresh and sleeving!! Yes!
Maybe you can pull it all apart and save the pistons, crank and hopefully all of the rods. All the sudden it started pinging and this happened? Did you get a bad batch of fuel maybe?
It's all good! Going back to my dyno session I think something was initially broken during my session. My first two pulls I had bad shuttering that was fixed by my 3rd pull. Going back a year or so I had a dozen times where I had similar shuttering/non-fire misses which I attribute to my charging/battery system. So this may be a culmination of events when I made that 17psi pull it started coming apart.

The evening I had the car out I was pushing it pretty hard and I think it just let loose.

Originally Posted by WTFMike
I'm no expert. But that sounds like a rod knock to me. IMO, you probably spun a bearing. Sorry man.
Sorta what I'm anticipating...doing some house-keeping in the garage where I can get the car lifted and start taking things apart - hopefully this weekend ... I dont work on Monday (Columbus Day) so I'm hoping to have oil out of the car and the oil pan off by Monday.

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
That sounds similar to when I effed up my stockblock, had the same squeaking noise with the knocking. I'm really sorry as well for you, man. I have been there, feels like S%$#. Only way to know for sure though is to crack the block open and see whats really wrong.
It's all good - what doesnt kill you makes you stronger. Take these lemons and make lemonade! Was your outcome a spun bearing??

I would totally LS swap if it wasnt $10k - if I had the cash I'd seriously consider it. I think the link could be set-up for an 8.

Moving forward - One of the blocks I picked-up has a clean crank/block/pistons, has some minor wear in a few of the bearings (which I might replace all-together). For the time being I'm going to get this OEM block rebuilt and get it swapped in the car to keep the car on the road. I'll get the built block disassembled, figured out, repaired/replaced parts, and rebuilt.

The OEM block will be a real-world test-run rebuild to ensure I can do it before I attempt it on the built block. Furthermore, I want to ensure all my kinks are worked out with the Link. I'd rather blow this rescued OEM block bc of some bad settings than the built.

I may swap over to a single turbo...It's very tempting to part-out the greddy twins and start collecting items for a front mount single.

If anyone is interested in the greddy twin setup send them my way...

Last edited by bealljk; 10-07-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: greddy twin build...