Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Need help picking turbos for a twins.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Jerrad1996

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking turbos for a twins.

I recently build another vq engine I had for my 350z and was looking to twin turbo and im down to picking out turbos.. Ive need owned a boosted car and never really understood much about them. I was looking at doing a sequential twin turbo set up and having one smaller turbo to cut down some boost lag and have one turbo spool at early rpms and have one spool at higher rpms. If anyone knows anything about turbos and boosting these vq motors could you please help. Thanks
Old 07-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Pholicious

Do some research, what are your power goals and budget what twin turbo setup are you going with. GT28's will do the trick most likely
Old 07-13-2013, 05:36 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

first of all get the idea of sequential's out of your head you obviously have done no searching to figure out how they actually work or even looked under the hood of the car if you think that will work.

how about look at every single twin kit for the car, or how about if you dont understand how people pick turbos you do not have the knowledge or the motivation to build a kit, how about some ****ing information other then "hey i wanna do twins!" lemme get my crystal ball out to read your mind............ oh **** its broken. i swear to god it needs to be made illegal to be so damn lazy and the admins on this site need to ****ing make it a requirement to spend so much time on x number of threads and be a member for x weeks before anyone can post the number of people like you make people like me who can help want to bash peoples heads in. its seriously ****ing annoying especially since they would know before they even posted the type of **** they would get for asking this question AGAIN.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Jerrad1996

Sorry was just looking for some help spent allot of money on the car and ive tried doing research on picking turbo and different setups its all like a different lanuage to me. Just looking for some ideas from people. Im looking to make 650 or 700 rwhp. Just looking for some good turbos that someone knows more about then me.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:30 PM
jerryd87

again the information is easily available by using that little box labeled search, you can type things into it if you cant figure that out your not going to do even 500 on this platform
Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrad1996
Sorry was just looking for some help spent allot of money on the car and ive tried doing research on picking turbo and different setups its all like a different lanuage to me. Just looking for some ideas from people. Im looking to make 650 or 700 rwhp. Just looking for some good turbos that someone knows more about then me.
You think a used Z was expensive? How much do you think 700 whp will cost?

Given that comment, and your wonderful punctuation, you're too dumb to even make 400.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Jerrad1996

I never said it was expensive? Ive already spent money 13k on my engine money isnt the issue. Im new to turbos and forced induction and i was coming on here looking for some help from people that have past experiences. I never said i was the smartest person when it comes to turboing a car if i knew what i was doing i wouldnt of came on here asking for help. Ive fully built the motor for way more then 700 hp. i know its not a cheap process i was just looking for help on some turbos that will put down the number i want.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 PM
jerryd87

oh yah he is gona have a blown engine within a month, lemme guess you went ahead and sleeved the motor right? lol
I never said it was expensive? Ive already spent money 13k on my engine money isnt the issue. Im new to turbos and forced induction and i was coming on here looking for some help from people that have past experiences. I never said i was the smartest person when it comes to turboing a car if i knew what i was doing i wouldnt of came on here asking for help. fully built the motor for way more then 700 hp. i know its not a cheap process i was just looking for help on some turbos that will put down the number i want.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Jerrad1996

yeah? I dropped the block off at a shop locatally that specializes in race motors.. whats wrong with having it sleeved? I didnt ask for everyone to jump on my back about what im doing just asking for some help
Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Ruthless18x

What are the specs on your motor? It's high compression right?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Pholicious

This will tell you everything you need to know about twin turbos and help you select the proper turbos.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Triji

You are new here, I see that, with that in mind many of the questions you are asking have been answered ad nauseum...

There are many threads with many if not all of your questions... Spend a lot of time looking at those threads and read. You will not only enjoy the time well spent you will get a pretty good and free education.

Then come back in and ask some clarification questions and gain much more respect in the process...

This FI section has a WORLD of info on this platform.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 PM
jerryd87

thats another question which would be answered if you just searched and why sleeves arnt looked kindly at on this platform. its actually pretty funny you still have 100% missed what every single person has told you. SEARCH

you might as well give up at this point you have essentially told all of us "**** off im not searching because my time is more important then yours and you should just spoon feed me" because all the information is on this forum easily found, and you SHOULD have done that research before you even bought a single part. i should just give in like most of the other mid-higher power guys and just say f it and quick even posting. seems like no one will ever get the message

when people come on here and research, and ask questions that havnt been answered half a billion times or need something clarified a little better they dont have these issues
yeah? I dropped the block off at a shop locatally that specializes in race motors.. whats wrong with having it sleeved? I didnt ask for everyone to jump on my back about what im doing just asking for some help

Last edited by jerryd87; 07-13-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Pholicious

Actually go buy a Greddy 20g kit or JWT 850bb and sell it to me when you give up
Old 07-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Jerrad1996

The motor has sleeves with eagle rods with cp 8.5.1 pistons with a stock crank cause i was told and found out that its a forged crank if im not mistaken and it will hold the 700 hp. the heads have ferrea comp plus valves with dual spings and retainers and i think im going to put the brian crower stage 3 272 cams in it.. and its not that i think my time is more important then your jerry ive been looking into it and what im trying to say is i dont understand it all the way and the last thing i want to do is spend money on turbos thinking i understand something and im completely off the map.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Jerrad1996

and nice video dick head i might be new to forced induction and this might be my first big build but im not that stupid and im not a cheap *** thats going to cut corners if i want my car to hit 700hp im not gunna stop until it hits 700hp. Im not even saying i HAVE to hit 700 cause thats a big number im just saying if i shoot for that number and if i come up short and dont make it im not gunna be bothered
Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 AM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The motor has sleeves with eagle rods with cp 8.5.1 pistons with a stock crank cause i was told and found out that its a forged crank if im not mistaken and it will hold the 700 hp. the heads have ferrea comp plus valves with dual spings and retainers and i think im going to put the brian crower stage 3 272 cams in it.. and its not that i think my time is more important then your jerry ive been looking into it and what im trying to say is i dont understand it all the way and the last thing i want to do is spend money on turbos thinking i understand something and im completely off the map.
im not that stupid and im not a cheap *** thats going to cut corners if i want my car to hit 700hp im not gunna stop until it hits 700hp.
Ummm, if you aren't cheap, then why did you go with eagle rods? Don't get me wrong, I'm running eagle rods because they are priced right, and my power goals are 550 to 600 on e85. But, if I were to spend 13k on my motor and have it sleeved, I would have gone with higher end rods. Carillos, Brain Crower, or Pauter rods would have all been a better choice. Especially, if you spent that much money.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 AM
djamps

You should be asking 'which turbo kit' not which turbos. That said, Greddy 18G kit + necessary supporting mods to get to 600whp (fueling, EMS, exhaust) would be my choice.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 AM
bruthaboost

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since your whp goal is 700 and I'm assuming this is on pump you need to find a compressor map that has the flow (air lb/min) that will support 350 whp at a pressure ratio that is safe on pump gas.

Pressure ratio is:
defined as the Absolute outlet pressure divided by the Absolute inlet pressure.
per garrett's site.

or if you're boosting 12 lbs,
12 psig + 14.7 (atmospheric pressure) psia = 26.7 psi absolute pressure in the manifold

inlet pressure will be slightly less than atmospheric.

Take that number and look at a compressor map to find an air lb/min flow that will support 350 whp.

I won't go through calculating lb/min of air to whp. Garrett's site has quite a bit and a google search with air lb to whp will show you as well. You also need to familiarize yourself with factors effecting detonation threshold or if you just want the cliffs: Do as OEM does. Remember OEMs know/done more than any tuner/engine builder ever has.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Ruthless18x

That no where near totals $13k. Unless you are getting raped on labor.

A 3.8 stroker with billet crank, assembled, is quite a bit less than that.

So either your a kid completely bs'ing or your an old man with no auto knowledge just throwing money at a shop.

I'm going with the first one.

Also willing to bet that 1996 is your birth year, making you 17, which would make this thread make sense.

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 07-14-2013 at 09:03 AM.