Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Build or Buy New Short Block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Build or Buy New Short Block?

So I've been looking at getting a Vortech supercharger, but I want to have my motor built for it first. The motor is starting to burn oil quite badly now roughly 3 qt every 1000 or so and it only has 124,XXX on her. So my question becomes what route should I go? I have a few options im looking at the

Z1 VQ35 Basic Engine Rebuild Kit Level 3
Z1 VQ35 Performance Shortblock
Stage 2 VQ35 Block - Nissan 350z/Infiniti G35 from IPP

I want to be running L19 studs, Bored .20 over and a 11:1 Compression.
My goals are 420'ish on pump and 525-550 on E85.

Thank for the info, I know I will catch some grief about the compression but it's what ever.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

dynosty, sound performance, or vinny ten racing. next time search instead of asking a ****ing question thats been answered a billion times a week
Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^ this... I tell u at work all the advice I can give .... Now Sell the car and buy a rsx.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,301 Likes on 1,025 Posts

+1 to IPP
Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 PM
jerryd87

Stay away from opp bealljk might have had a good experience but if you search you will find he just got lucky MANY documented problems with there engines, they don't even build them they contract it out so they don't even have any quality control over the engines probably why they are hit and miss

And iirc he isn't even pushing any significant power yet so he might not even be lucky just isn't making enough to break it yet.

Last edited by jerryd87; 07-26-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:48 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I did have a good experience, I think many others have too and I'm sure people have had worse experiences.

Valid point Jerry, they do not do all their work in house.

I didnt get 'lucky' with my crate motor...(start rant) This is just me, but I don't 'chalk up' anything to 'luck'. I'm not lucky, I don't believe in luck, I don't rely on luck - I don't buy into that. I buy into work, reality and facts...when we got the block we (although mainly my installer) inspected, retorqued, partially disassembled it to ensure it was what I ordered and what I paid for. (end rant)

if not for a great block that I rev the **** out of Kyle has great customer service. I had a few issues along the way and it was one phone call that fixed the problem…

will other builders have this same level of customer service? possibly?

Conway, you gotta take a consensus from what on this board and the experiences people have had, it may be worth your wild to look at 300zx forums to see what 300zx people are saying.

I would also give your engine builder (who ever it ends up being) a call an talk about your build and what you will need, get their opinion on it and have them on board too.

Last edited by bealljk; 07-27-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Pholicious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with Dynosty or Vinny Ten Racing I've dealt with both personally about little things and the level of customer support I got was over the top. They both have proven time and time again they get results and there stuff lasts.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Conway: You can contact me anytime about our engine builds. I would be more then happy to go over your needs with you and work with you to build you a great engine.

Jerry: I am sure there have been a few people on the forums that have made up stories that are either not true or have not given the full story. That is the fun of the forums. I am not going to say that I have a spotless record but I have built over 400 engines and counting. The MANY issues is pretty exaggerated when you consider the amount of motors I have built over the years, the number of very happy customers, and taking out the forum BS and stories. People love to point fingers and spread rumors.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:38 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ImportPartsPro
the number of very happy customers
me being one…I would buy another engine from ipp again -
Old 07-27-2013, 01:00 PM
jerryd87

eh its nothing against you but me personally if i have to go to a shop(which i really dont end up doing often) i would rather go to a shop with no complaints vs one that has even 1 or 2 complaints, hence the reason i say go to the shops i say.

my biggest concern was the one guy cant remember his name that his block was completely messed up when decked so the front cylinder was still several ten thousandth under deck and the rear cylinder was several ten thousandths above the deck. i can believe on spun bearings the customer did not correctly inform you of the power goals...... but that above situation is something that really stood out to me wish i could remember the guys name he was on here and even included pics.
Conway: You can contact me anytime about our engine builds. I would be more then happy to go over your needs with you and work with you to build you a great engine.

Jerry: I am sure there have been a few people on the forums that have made up stories that are either not true or have not given the full story. That is the fun of the forums. I am not going to say that I have a spotless record but I have built over 400 engines and counting. The MANY issues is pretty exaggerated when you consider the amount of motors I have built over the years, the number of very happy customers, and taking out the forum BS and stories. People love to point fingers and spread rumors.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:14 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jerryd87
eh its nothing against you but me personally if i have to go to a shop(which i really dont end up doing often) i would rather go to a shop with no complaints vs one that has even 1 or 2 complaints, hence the reason i say go to the shops i say.

my biggest concern was the one guy cant remember his name that his block was completely messed up when decked so the front cylinder was still several ten thousandth under deck and the rear cylinder was several ten thousandths above the deck. i can believe on spun bearings the customer did not correctly inform you of the power goals...... but that above situation is something that really stood out to me wish i could remember the guys name he was on here and even included pics.
Understood completely

The really funny thing is I have no idea what so ever of the deck problem. If that was an issue the customer never contacted me about it.

It is hard to respond to a problem or show my customer service if I am unaware of the problem. I don't watch the forums as much as I should because of all the unnecessary drama. But honestly I don't know of any decking problems that have been brought to my attention.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I get a warranty when I buy a block from you IPP? Lol jk dont plan on investing in a block til next year
Old 07-27-2013, 01:34 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
I get a warranty when I buy a block from you IPP? Lol jk dont plan on investing in a block til next year
Yes we actually offer a 1 year warranty against any machining defects

We do stand behind our work
Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Conway_160

I will call Monday and try to get some more insight on a engine. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:40 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Conway_160
I will call Monday and try to get some more insight on a engine. Thanks!
Sounds good. I look forward to talking to you
Old 07-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Conway_160

Sounds good. I look forward to talking to you
It will be the second time technically, I called yesterday just for a quick second. But Monday ill have some better questions...lol
Old 07-27-2013, 04:14 PM
jerryd87

its been like 6+ months since i saw it it was in a thread just like this one would have to really dig for it.
Understood completely

The really funny thing is I have no idea what so ever of the deck problem. If that was an issue the customer never contacted me about it.

It is hard to respond to a problem or show my customer service if I am unaware of the problem. I don't watch the forums as much as I should because of all the unnecessary drama. But honestly I don't know of any decking problems that have been brought to my attention.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM
BlueDragonZ

I'm on the same boat as you, I'm currently researching all of my options. I'm six months + before I start on this project so been reading up on IPP among others..I'd be interested on what you end up with.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Conway_160

Originally Posted by BlueDragonZ
I'm on the same boat as you, I'm currently researching all of my options. I'm six months + before I start on this project so been reading up on IPP among others..I'd be interested on what you end up with.
Yea it sucks, then a friend of mine is wanting to sell his set up for 10k and it has maybe 100 miles on it. Before he rebuilt it, it was at 622hp.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

just got to 400 miles on my IPP stage 2 long block. and i can tell u kyle's customer service is top in the industry. i literally contacted him almost daily as he was building my motor for updates. and to this day i continue to bug him about my core and every time as if it was the first email/call ever made he replys same day or day after with all the info and help i needed. i had never done anything this intricate on my motor and any question i had he answered with the quickness.. once the motor is broken in ill be going for a tune to see what this long block and a revamped 928m impeller vortech blower on a 2.87 pulley and all the goodies can push. again great guy and great service as of now i have no complaints about Import parts pro.. seriously.

Quick Reply: Build or Buy New Short Block?