Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

STS Turbo 2003 350z assistance

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only smoking issue I know with he STS is that if the our return line wasnt routed right or they didnt follow the manual then there is a tendency for the oil to return back to the turbo when "PARKED on an incline". This why the manual state to route it above the differential so that it create some kind of a loop to prevent the oil to go back when the car is off (pump is off). Other than that if the car is running it should not smoke at all... as long as the pump is running then the car should not smoke at all. And if it does smoke it's not going to be white!!

I really think there is a problem with the engine and like you said the previous owner is not very knowledgeable so how does he know it's not the motor? Or why will he admit there is a motor problem when he's trying to sell this to you?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by IM1THE2KING3
What you said makes complete sense.
The current owner said it was noticed during the drive home and since then it has sat. No knowledge in this truth.

If I find out the engine is in need of repair what would be a price you see this costing that I will then further ask off.
Most of my parts will be reusable or transferable to a new short block, depending on damage. Again I dont know the 350z but I wouldnt think the parts costing more than 2250(without labor) if I shop around.

you can talk to kyle for stage 1 short block assuming the block is reusable and the head is fine... http://www.importpartspro.com/st1blon.html but usually it going to cost you a lot more in the end once you are done coz there are many miscellaneous things and cost add up....
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IM1THE2KING3
What you said makes complete sense.
The current owner said it was noticed during the drive home and since then it has sat. No knowledge in this truth.

If I find out the engine is in need of repair what would be a price you see this costing that I will then further ask off.
Most of my parts will be reusable or transferable to a new short block, depending on damage. Again I dont know the 350z but I wouldnt think the parts costing more than 2250(without labor) if I shop around.
You're looking $1500-$2500 for a used OEM long block and around $1000 in labor / misc parts. I wouldn't bother with a built engine (way more expensive and labor intensive) or re-using any engine parts or heads that could end up costing you way more in the long run when they don't work or fail.

Last edited by djamps; 07-30-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM
athenG

/\ +1

or find a way to return this car back coz you're in for a big headache... at first my oil return line wasnt routed right and I have noticed a greyish almost black smoke but that is only when I had parked my car on an inclined but it went away after it had burn all the oil. After I re-routed the line I never had an issue again...
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 AM
IM1THE2KING3

Knowing the vehicle condition and ya'lls experience with 350z what would be a reasonable purchase price if the motor is bad. Until I can physically investigate the smoke issue I can only hope the engine is not the cause or if anyone local to the vehicle would be willing to look for me for some beer money XD
I'm currently paying $7500 assuming the motor is good. Other issues include two scratches on rear, dent in driver fender, faded CF hood, stain on driver seat, non-functioning headunit.
If this is an inappropriate question please PM me.

I would really like to get into a turbo Z so I still plan to look at the vehicle in person within the next week, remove turbo and see if the engine has any issues.
Other Zs for sale I have looked at are asking astronomical prices.

Thank you all very much
Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM
djamps

Bottom line, given your skill set / knowledge level IF you want to get into a turbo Z buy one that actually runs and without a shady history...

Last edited by djamps; 07-30-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM
balaguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KBB suggests 7k for a stock car in good condition. If the seller is unwilling to make the effort to know anything about the car I think you'd be justified in low balling him. Personally, I'd pay less than 7k...prob alot less unless the seller can demonstrate that the motor is still good. If the seller claims it costs nothing to fix then you should challenge him to fix it so a buyer can actually drive it and evaluate it properly.

Last edited by balaguru; 07-30-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 AM
IM1THE2KING3

Djamps I preferred your previous post before editing =)

Im looking at buying one already near complete to save cost and time as I dont have the financial backing nor time right now to undertake an entire build, but i'm not going to pay these crazy 20g+ prices on a well built 350z. I'd rather finance a 370z for that price and turbo it down the road.

I am sorry if I came off as an overall "noob" I try to ask as many questions and read as much as I can before just jumping into something new. In this case both the STS rear mount turbo and 350z are new to me. I am capable of working on my vehicles and my knowledge level is adequate BSME+experience, but more than anything time is my enemy.

Balaguru: I looked into the KBB, but still thought at $7500 a built 350z with only a bad turbo is a fair price. Now if the engine is gone its an entirely different story and the lowball will begin at $4800 =)

Thank you all!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM
djamps

Ha, well the more I read I just don't think this is a good idea. The seller/history just seems too shady. I recently bought a highly used TT Z and the only two things (other than price) that sealed the deal was an honest/reputable seller and a running car I could drive home.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:30 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,295 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I like the $4800…right now assume (the worst) that the block has a blown head very plausible with the modification on the car.

Buy it for $5500, spend $10k on high quality repairs/parts and have a killer project…yeah, it'll be work, yeah, you'll learn something, yeah, you wont have a car for a few months but you'll know the car up and down, left and right…it's a great experience (I'm in it right now). You may have to find a beater for your daily driver but it's worth it…

I bought a $1400 1988 chevy short bed pickup because I wanted to spend my money on the z, not the daily…it was great for colorado winters and I didnt give a **** bc I knew what I had in the garage…funny story - someone backed into it, I got $1600 insurance money, the ford dealership gave me a grand on trade, $2500 from savings which made a nice down payment and I bought a pretty nice 04 F150…I got the Z and a nice daily driver truck…

if you dont want to do something like this than walk away from this Z because it's trouble...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 PM
guvars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if youre just trying to get it home, i would rent a trailer and take it home that way into a more comfortable setting.
The pipe with the hole is the one that goes back into the intake...
Its nothing out of the ordinary. piping is piping. im sure you can find a muffler shop to make you a steel pipe, since mostly performance shops deal with aluminum piping. you can get them to replicate the angle and drive with home that way.
if you cant find a muffler shop for whatever reason, you can unplug the tube where youre blow off valve is under the hood and connect the filter straight through to there. youre pretty much making a short ram air intake at that point. if the system is tuned with utec then you should have a stock map. map "0" i believe. if its with uprev its more difficult to figure it out. even if youre running on a boosted map you can still drive it around. youll run rich but just stay out of boost and youll be fine.
the smoke could be coolant/ oil. either the turbo could be passing oil, the engine passes oil, or its coolant. which could mean your head gasket is bad.