Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

STS Turbo 2003 350z assistance

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:42 PM
IM1THE2KING3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbo 2003 350z assistance

Hello, I'm new to the forum.
I just made a purchase on a 350z in Houston TX needing some repair. Hole in turbo pipe.

The vehicle is equipped with an sts side(rear) mount turbo and built engine.
Anyone know if the previous owner is a member here http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3948133514.html

Update 7/29: Awesome forum with great help I will be unbolting the turbo from exhaust to travel home.

Many Thanks - Gillian

Last edited by IM1THE2KING3; 07-29-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Rare issue resolved.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM
balaguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.google.com/#gs_rn=22&gs_...w=1366&bih=673
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM
IM1THE2KING3

I'm going to try my best to not insult you as you have insulted me.
Perhaps you have a lack of knowledge with STS turbos. I'll leave it be at that.

Reworded my previous post for simplification:

Does anyone know the individual/shop who built this: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3948133514.html

The intercooler pipe running parallel with the vehicle has a significant hole, baseball size.
I am not in a position to have it repaired until I get it home. Current owner stated it s,oles white on the turbo side.

Resolution: Unbolt the turbo from exhaust, return factory filter and let the ecu do the rest.

Thank you for useful contributions.

Last edited by IM1THE2KING3; 07-29-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 PM
balaguru

I apologize if you were insulted but the way you worded the OP here and in the STS thread suggested a total lack of understanding of how turbos work. That's prob why nobody else has responded to either of your posts.

Now that you've established that you understand that the turbine will spin without lubrication while you drive it home do you understand that you will likely make your turbo which may or may not even need service no longer serviceable? If you can manage to keep the ECU in closed loop during the entire drive the ECU may or may not be able to keep the AFR in range but if not you will likely trash your cats too. 2003 cars lack a wide band so I'm not even sure how capable they are in managing the AFR in closed loop. You less likely will trash the motor unless whatever scheme you devise for the oil system fails and leaks oil and you don't realize it until it's too late.

BTW, I'm familiar with the STS kit. I went so far as to get a quote on one before I saw the light and bought a BP kit. Unless you have some weird custom version please stop referring to it as a side mount kit. It's a rear mount kit.

Sounds like neither you nor the seller know much about the car. Safest thing would be to tow/trailer it home and get it all sorted out. I hope you paid much less than the 9k he/she was asking because you may not be done spending significant money on this project.

Originally Posted by IM1THE2KING3
I'm going to try my best to not insult you as you have insulted me.
Perhaps you have a lack of knowledge with STS turbos. I'll leave it be at that.

I will also reword my previous post for simplification:

Does anyone know the individual/shop who built this: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3948133514.html

The intercooler pipe running parallel with the vehicle has a significant hole, baseball size.
I am not in a position to have it repaired until I get it home. Current owner stated it leaks on the turbo side. As I have yet to physically see the damage to further investigate the root cause my current options are as follows:

Option A: Return the stock air filter and block off the oil line going to the turbo. I understand I will still have a free exhaust spinning turbo and tune issues to deal with, but I see this as the easiest way to attempt to drive said car home.

Option B: I have some turbo wrap laying around and I could try to cover the rip by wrapping it to the best of my ability and let it leak oil on the drive... I prefer option A as it will be beneficial to replace a turbo opposed to the motor.

Option C: If you have a valid idea please enlighten me.

Thank you for useful contributions. If I still have not conveyed my issue please do inform me and I will furthermore work on simplifying the scenario.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
IM1THE2KING3

Thank you for a proper intellectual reply.

I refer to the turbo as side mount because sts made two variations for the 350z both a side mount and a center mount rear turbo. You must be new and only know of the current center mount.

I'm glad you understand my concern for the turbo is minimal. Whereas, my concern for the engine is primary.

I assure you my "scheme" will be well monitored with frequent stopping points and consist of proper fittings to prevent said leakage.

You are correct I do not know the build specs of the car as I have yet to take ownership and the current owner has minimal information. That is why I am seeking the original builder.

The goal is to avoid trailering the vehicle home.

Have you or anyone reading this seen an STS turbo fail or blown oil seal issues on a 350z?

Thanks for your concern.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 PM
balaguru

I was aware of the variations but never heard someone refer to the prev version as a side mount. Why would you sacrifice the turbo if you can avoid it? Sell it if you are planning to upgrade. Have you even looked into how much it might cost to transport the car?

Btw, I was insulted by your characterization of my reply as intellectual. I hate intellectuals.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Drako_MDx

Rent a trailer for around $70.00 and take it home. Might cost you way more later on if you trying driving it home as is.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 AM
IM1THE2KING3

Thank you both for the replies. Sorry I characterized you and I am appreciative of you taking the time to reply.

I am already assuming the worst with the turbo. As the current owner said it smoked white smoke and smelt like burning oil on the turbo side exhaust. Is it common for sts to have issues with the oil line and not the turbo?

I am wanting to avoid the trailer simply because my built truck has very low mpg standards. =)

I'm now trying to see if I can take it to a friends who lives about 50min away to work on it. Pull, cut, weld new pipe investigate oil issue(I'm guessing blown seals) and hope the engine is in good condition.

Any ideas who has the most interaction on here and might know the original owner?

Thanks

Last edited by IM1THE2KING3; 07-29-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Disconnect exhaust from turbine, put a filter on the pipe going to the intercooler. Should drive OK with light throttle. Even with no widebands (2003) the ECU is pretty good at maintaining A/F in closed loop.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 AM
IM1THE2KING3

DJamps I thought about this but didn't know if removing the turbo, essentially cutting the exhaust mid way back, would have any repercussions. Thank you for clarifying that the ECU is essentially capable of self correcting for the 2003 model.

PS: Do you see it not necessary I block the oil line to turbo?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by IM1THE2KING3
DJamps I thought about this but didn't know if removing the turbo, essentially cutting the exhaust mid way back, would have any repercussions. Thank you for clarifying that the ECU is essentially capable of self correcting for the 2003 model.

PS: Do you see it not necessary I block the oil line to turbo?

Thanks
I wouldn't block the oil unless it's completely out of the exhaust flow.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:51 AM
IM1THE2KING3

Originally Posted by djamps
I wouldn't block the oil unless it's completely out of the exhaust flow.
Well now your just making it too easy for me.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM
athenG

Disconnect exhaust from turbine, put a filter on the pipe going to the intercooler. Should drive OK with light throttle. Even with no widebands (2003) the ECU is pretty good at maintaining A/F in closed loop.
+1
I'm more worried about the white smoke.. Did you at least get a compression/leak down test? I would'nt worry about driving it as long as you disconnect the hotside pipe.. It will be loud though but you'll be fine coz the turbo wont spin and you'll stay in close loop... Heck you can even just loosen some of the bolt to create an exhaust leak and that sucker wont spool!!

Also you can buy parts from STS but i would just fabricat it. i was able to replace the sts intercooler by mix maching different pre-bent aluminum pipe and couplers. By the way the STS intercooler is heavy and inifficient, i would change that right away..
Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM
IM1THE2KING3

AthenG I appreciate you chiming in as you have significant experience running this setup.

As someone who has ran this setup what would you speculate is causing the white smoke. I understand this is a difficult question to directly answer.
The current owner seems to think that both the engine and turbo are fine, yet the oil line is the issue. I have read online about restrictions in-line and miss calculations via sts that have created pressure issues similar to this. Was this ever an issue with the 350z in specific?

I will back off the exhaust bolts, do they use any seals in this area?

If you have any other tips or know of weak points in the system please PM me directly as I appreciate all feedback and am new to a 350z.

Lastly, any idea who built this vehicle?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,295 Likes on 1,019 Posts

white smoke = coolant in the combustion…

add that too the list…blocks gotta come out/rebuilt, might as well rebuild the turbo, fix the hole in the pipe, bolt everything back together and tune with something you'd trust your 2nd $9k with...
Old 07-30-2013, 05:20 AM
djamps

Disconect the exhaust from the turbo. If it still smokes then you know it's the motor. White smoke is typically coolant but it could be oil too, they can sometimes look similar but smell nothing alike.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 AM
IM1THE2KING3

My question was a little too broad...

Specifically on a camaro forum they have had issues running original design sts turbos due to in line restrictions and pressure calculations which cause the oil to get into the turbo and produce white smoke out one side of the exhaust.

I do plan to start the engine after disconnecting the turbo and see if I can reproduce any smoke at that time. I am hoping it is not the engine and since only one side of the exhaust is blowing the smoke I am staying positive. I would much rather replace a turbo than an engine. Really you think 8grand to swap an engine in this car minus 1g for turbo. I'm thinking your on the high end, but again I have no experience with the 350z world.

The current owner seems to remain positive that the turbo is good as well and it is an oil line related issue that is why I was wondering if the 350z original sts turbos ever had any problems.

Bealljk: But, would you consider 9g a fair price if all was in working order? I did not pay 9g as you assume and upon inspection if the engine is due for a rebuild I will request lesser money or walk away(I currently have a deposit down)

As always keep the help and feedback coming all is appreciated. Upon retrieval I will post pics and continue this thread as I repair the vehicle.

Last edited by IM1THE2KING3; 07-30-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM
djamps

The fact it comes out of one side tells you nothing... all the exhaust comes out one side with the kit. The other side is used for the dump tube which opens up in boost only. I'm leaning towards an engine issue... I don't think just starting and running at idle creates enough heat/pressure at the very end of the exhaust system to vaporize oil in the turbo... it's probably coming from the engine.

Last edited by djamps; 07-30-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 AM
IM1THE2KING3

STS Turbo 2003 350z assistance-img_20130725_201225.jpg
Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 AM
IM1THE2KING3

The fact it comes out of one side tells you nothing...
What you said makes complete sense.
The current owner said it was noticed during the drive home and since then it has sat. No knowledge in this truth.

If I find out the engine is in need of repair what would be a price you see this costing that I will then further ask off.
Most of my parts will be reusable or transferable to a new short block, depending on damage. Again I dont know the 350z but I wouldnt think the parts costing more than 2250(without labor) if I shop around.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo 2003 350z assistance