Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Tapping upper oil pan?

Old 04-23-2016, 01:30 PM
35reilly

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tapping upper oil pan?

I have been searching to try and get some solid info on the correct area to tap the upper oil pan for additional oil feed/sensor ports. Couldn't really find and concrete info on where to do this. Anyone do this ? If so any pics or info you can give me so I can do this correctly? I also was wondering if these spots I have marked would work. Thanks in advanced. Also if I can go where that little ball bearing thing is how can I remove that?

Old 04-23-2016, 02:45 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

use the port just above the one you've referenced
Old 04-23-2016, 02:49 PM
35reilly

Originally Posted by bealljk
use the port just above the one you've referenced
This one here? Or the one above that one?

Old 04-23-2016, 03:14 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

nah...

it wasnt an exact exact exact fit but a AN-4 fitting threads into that port pretty dmn close (or at lease mine did) and I used 2-part JB-weld to coat the threads so it wouldnt back out. Someone will confirm or correct me, but this port is post-filter and therefore you will be feeding your turbos filtered oil (always a good thing).

From there - I ran a AN-4 line to a small pre-turbo cooler back to the engine bay where I tee'd the AN-4 line to greddy's AN-3 lines straight to the blowers...

Name:  DEF12304-444C-4A9D-975E-80A8CE5A8A17_zpspmv4z3qt.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  350.1 KB

Name:  2F718673-04B7-4DCD-86B8-24E1DB86C0F9_zps00kdqjwv.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  290.1 KB

Last edited by bealljk; 04-23-2016 at 03:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 03:19 PM
35reilly

nah...

it wasnt an exact exact exact fit but a AN-4 fitting threads into that port (or at lease mine did) and I used 2-part JB-weld to coat the threads so it wouldnt back out.

From there - I ran a AN-4 line to a small pre-turbo cooler back to the engine bay where I tee'd the AN-4 line to greddy's AN-3 lines straight to the blowers...
Ok yeah I kinda figured you meant that one but I just referred to the one Rt above. Thanks man!!! Yeah I read somewhere where the older models had a plug there and guys were taking it out and using that but I wanted to make sure. Now u ran it to a pre cooler? I'm confused sry!! I mean a oil cooler? Like for the oil for the motor? I have a oil cooler but I just don't understand what u mean by that
Old 04-23-2016, 03:25 PM
35reilly

Ok I see what you are saying. I just seen the pics!! Nice btw!!! So you are running another oil cooler just for the turbos?
Old 04-23-2016, 03:27 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

yeah, that one...I had a plug in there and I found out it was pretty close to that AN 4 by accident...I looked for a while trying to measure & match the threads...and bc I couldnt confirm the thread pattern I jb-weld'd it in...I'm sure I'll catch **** for this!

so, the oil pump picks up oil from the pan, sends it through the oil filter...from the filter it travels through the AN-4 line to that small oil cooler, through the oil cooler, splits at a tee and goes to each turbo...probably excessive but seeing the the mitsubishi turbos are oil-cooled I think it's good measure...
Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 PM
35reilly

yeah, that one...I had a plug in there and I found out it was pretty close to that AN 4 by accident...I looked for a while trying to measure & match the threads...and bc I couldnt confirm the thread pattern I jb-weld'd it in...I'm sure I'll catch **** for this!

so, the oil pump picks up oil from the pan, sends it through the oil filter...from the filter it travels through the AN-4 line to that small oil cooler, through the oil cooler, splits at a tee and goes to each turbo...probably excessive but seeing the the mitsubishi turbos are oil-cooled I think it's good measure...
I hear ya man but whatever people alway talk!!! I like it I think it's a pretty damn good idea!!! How do you know you always have good oil psi there?
Old 04-23-2016, 03:41 PM
35reilly

How bout you returns? I have the greddy pan and it drains at the bottom. I really want to tap for the drains above the oil level as well. Did you do that as well?
Old 04-23-2016, 03:56 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

^sure did...

I have simple AN-8 lines returning, I didnt want the return lines to fight the static oil pressure in my pan...post #6 by Phunk brings up a really good point and I'd love to redo this with his suggestions. I spent less than $20 on those fittings...

I don't know for 100% certain that I have good oil pressure unless I install a pressure gauge but I do keep an eye on my OEM gauge.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...l-pan-tap.html

keep the oil pan spacer for added oil capacity...

Last edited by bealljk; 04-23-2016 at 04:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Resmarted (04-25-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 04:16 PM
35reilly

^sure did...

I have simple AN-8 lines returning, I didnt want the return lines to fight the static oil pressure in my pan...post #6 by Phunk brings up a really good point and I'd love to redo this with his suggestions. I spent less than $20 on those fittings...

I don't know for 100% certain that I have good oil pressure unless I install a pressure gauge but I do keep an eye on my OEM gauge.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...l-pan-tap.html

keep the oil pan spacer for added oil capacity...
Ok I see. Yeah I definitely want to do this since I have the thing completely apart. I like what phunk was saying as well. I tried looking up his other post on this as well as pics he had but for some reason I can't see his pics. Every time I click on the link for the pic it does nothing.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:36 AM
aarrgghh

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Had a quick look at my built block (waiting to go in with the AAM kit I'm currently running on the stock) and I've been thinking of switching to a filtered feed on it.

Pulled that plug, and it's definitely not an AN-4. It's very loose, but close, so you're running on JB to seal the thread spiral. Hopefully that keeps working for you.

You can see in the pic below, that it's a straight thread that seals on the flat with a copper washer, probably a metric thread. Turns out the AN oil feed line from the stock EFR's is a match.

On the AAM kit they have you replace these with AN-4 to banjo bolts, so I had two of these around.

Confirmed with some compressed air that this port is connected to the center of the oil filter, which is the post filter inlet to the block.

I know you can get these with the EFR install kit, but it comes with a ton of other stuff. Didn't see a source for just the input fitting, but there's probably someone out there that can sell them.

Does anyone know if/when they stopped putting that plug in the upper pan? (I'm assuming they cast is over).
Old 04-25-2016, 11:48 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I think it is a BSP thread. At least the one coming out for the oil pressure switch is. You should use a BSP to NPT adapter to do it right. Forced Performance sells an inline turbo feed filter that acts as a restrictor for BB turbos (they have a JB version too).
Old 04-25-2016, 12:56 PM
35reilly

I have a 06 g35. What exactly is this sensor for?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:44 PM
aarrgghh

Looks like it could a be temp sensor, which would make it oil temp (assuming g35's read oil temp?).
Old 04-25-2016, 01:47 PM
aarrgghh

Originally Posted by rcdash
I think it is a BSP thread. At least the one coming out for the oil pressure switch is. You should use a BSP to NPT adapter to do it right. Forced Performance sells an inline turbo feed filter that acts as a restrictor for BB turbos (they have a JB version too).
Except that's not the oil pressure port, and it's definitely bigger than the oil pressure port.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:26 PM
35reilly

Originally Posted by aarrgghh
Looks like it could a be temp sensor, which would make it oil temp (assuming g35's read oil temp?).
The G don't read oil psi. No gauge. Just dummy light. I thought this was the oil sensor
Old 04-25-2016, 04:17 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by aarrgghh
Pulled that plug, and it's definitely not an AN-4. It's very loose, but close, so you're running on JB to seal the thread spiral. Hopefully that keeps working for you.
Mine was relatively loose, I cleaned the two sets of threads and used that 2 part - I'm not worried about it coming out. I used a 90degree bend, so can't unthread it may leak in the future if the 2-part epoxy breaks down. I can track down the right fitting or weld on a fitting permanently.

Reilly, that blue sensor looks like a coolant temp sensor...maybe it was just put there as a plug?

Last edited by bealljk; 04-25-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:58 PM
35reilly

Mine was relatively loose, I cleaned the two sets of threads and used that 2 part - I'm not worried about it coming out. I used a 90degree bend, so can't unthread it may leak in the future if the 2-part epoxy breaks down. I can track down the right fitting or weld on a fitting permanently.

Reilly, that blue sensor looks like a coolant temp sensor...maybe it was just put there as a plug?
I don't know buddy. Car has been apart so long now a lot is starting to get foggy!!! Lol. I'll figure it out once I get the motor back and I really start digging into it. It will all come back to me!!! )

Btw JB weld?? Yeah that's not gonna loosen up in you. I used to put dirt bike cases together that were cracked with that and beat the ***** off them when I was a kid. Never once did that stuff give way!!!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:31 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I couldnt identify the threads, I'm not too worried about it! I'm sure I'll catch hell for it!

pull the blue sensor out...I bet it's a coolant temp sensor used as a plug...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tapping upper oil pan?