Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Track day problems

Old 08-16-2016, 01:28 PM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Track day problems

Hey all, So I finally got my car out to the 1.4 mile road coarse this weekend and I had a plethora of issues arise. First off it was a 92 degree day and sunny with high Midwest humidity. My car has a built sleeved motor with Greddy 20G turbos mishsimoto aluminum radiator and 19 row oil cooler and many more upgrades that im not going to list at the moment. I drove the car to the track which is about 45 minutes away from me. After 2 laps I noticed the factory engine temp gauge on the rise so I pulled off the track and let it cool down. I tried another 3 laps and again the engine temp started to rise so I pulled off. On the third attempt I cranked the heater on to see if I could get another lap before the car got hot. On this pass though I started to lose a lot of power and noticed the bov (turbosmart race port series) wasn't working as usual. So I said F*** it and drove the car home. I fixed the bov yesterday. It was dirty and needed some minor lubrication and had just stuck open. After I fixed the bov I went and made some pulls and noticed power was dropping off up top. I also noticed it was making 15 psi of boost on 7 lb wastegate springs (38mm turbosmarts). So I parked the car and im going to pull the wastegates apart today and inspect and clean them too. I checked my AEM boost controller and the settings are all still correct. Im guessing that since I have the wastegates and bov on a vacuum manifold since there is no port for boost only referance that all the hard decels could have either damaged the wastegates or just made them stick. Ill find out today. But im wondering why the car was getting hot so fast. I recently changed the radiator and added the oil cooler and its only on 7 psi so its not making crazy power yet. I did all the proper bleeding procedures on the cooling system and haven't had any issues with the car getting hot until I went on the track. I also didn't have the splash gaurds installed and am wondering if it doesn't have something to do with air flow. Just looking for tips thanx in advance guys!
Old 08-16-2016, 06:27 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If coolant is getting hot then cooling system is insufficient or you have air in the system. Those are the only options.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:57 PM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
If coolant is getting hot then cooling system is insufficient or you have air in the system. Those are the only options.
I bled the cooling system again today and didn't get any air out. I have the mishimoto fan shroud. It comes with plug's to plug into the factory harness but both fans run regardless when the engine is warm. Are these fans supposed to be a 2 speed design? Or are they supposed to run both at only 1 speed? The car never overheats the only time I had an issue was at the track. It was a hot day. Probably just don't have a good enough cooling system for road racing. But on another note I got my boost problem figured out. I was running 1/4 inch air line to the wastegates off the vacuum manifold with quick connects. The quick connects melted. I guess plastic and heat wasn't the best idea...🤔 Whoops lol you live and you learn. -4 AN line here I come.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

With a boosted car your always going to be fighting heat management issues on track. Only other thing I can think of. The head is getting lifted under track conditions and is blowing past the headgasket.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:21 AM
aarrgghh

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Go back to the factory fans. I also bought those and they are single speed. In a quick test they pull about the same as the factory fans on low.

I've got dual 14" spals coming. Going to run them duty cycled from the haltech through an Ssr.