Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:38 PM
daking350
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed

I just had the perfect power ECU piggyback installed on my boosted Z..It utilizes a 2.5 bar MAP sensor to monitor the manifold pressure and make its adjustments...The unit is being installed by BOB IDA of IDA automotive in NJ..This unit was used on the worlds fastest N/A Dodge Viper flawlessly..My plugs were fouled out due to running rich prior to installation and I got a misfire around 6000rpms while tuning..New plugs are on the way Thursday and the tuning will be done this Friday.I will post my before dynos and after dynos for the stock 7-8 lb pulley setup and then we are going to 9lb pulleys with an expected hp of 420-450..
This unit is fully tunable and is very flexible...here are a few pics of the install..enjoy and keep posted for Fridays DYNO's..
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed-ida1.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 07:39 PM
daking350
Banned

My car strapped down to the operating table..
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed-ida2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 07:40 PM
daking350
Banned

the wiring...
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed-ida3.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 07:41 PM
daking350
Banned

pic of the MAP sensor..
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed-ida4.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 07:42 PM
daking350
Banned

Screen shot of the tuning software..
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed-ida5.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
daking350
Banned

We expect only a few peak HP on this unit but a much smoother fuel curve and more TQ in the low end prior to boost..So we will see what happens on friday...one thing we did notice is when we pulled some timing it lost hp..There was no need for timing control at the point we reached but we could only run her up to 6000rpms when the plugs fouled...
Old 02-16-2004, 08:10 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

hmm that does seem interesting. i haven't heard of that system
thanks for the link from my thread. as i said, i am just interested in seeing what options are out there.
does it allow you to set timing at different RPM's?

how hard was the wiring on it? doesn't seem like it was half as bad as the autronic where we had to pull the entire harness to splice it in correctly.

thanks, and good luck on the dyno.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:13 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by mr2fasterthanyo
hmm that does seem interesting. i haven't heard of that system
thanks for the link from my thread. as i said, i am just interested in seeing what options are out there.
does it allow you to set timing at different RPM's?

how hard was the wiring on it? doesn't seem like it was half as bad as the autronic where we had to pull the entire harness to splice it in correctly.

thanks, and good luck on the dyno.
You set the timing based on load %'s or via the MAP sensor so you are getting a TRUE to boost timing retard if needed...I think most cars use 7 wires depending on the setup..
Old 02-17-2004, 10:26 AM
NismoGCoupe

do you know whats going on with the perfect power ECU piggyback for N/A, they were working on it a few months ago and havent heard nothing since, i think there dynos were showing 32+whp
Old 02-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by G35Coupe03
do you know whats going on with the perfect power ECU piggyback for N/A, they were working on it a few months ago and havent heard nothing since, i think there dynos were showing 32+whp
I believe the project was abandoned a while ago. My old Z had one of two prototype units. I definitely noticed a positive difference but didn't get to dyno the Z before I sold it.

Try PMing j's350z. It was his brainchild, but I think he put it to the side for a lack of time and money to invest in making it happen.

I don't see why anyone couldn't pick up one of these piggybacks and let an experienced tuner try to extract gains from it.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:01 AM
j's350z

Hey Chris.....
I am the "brainchild" haha.... We are back full speed with project and we believe we finally figured out the minor headache.... Jullian, so far so good..... If everything goes well, I will be contacting everyone on the waiting list with details..... Chris, give me a call or email when you get a chance.... Sorry to hijack your thread Jullian, I just want to let everyone know why the project was put on hold.... It had to do with personal reasons and a lack of time and resources, but MRC is back and you will see alot more to come......

Jason
MRC Motorsports
jays350z@aol.com
Old 02-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Enron Exec

bump... I hope everything is moving along with this project.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:10 AM
daking350
Banned

Keep posted for DYNO's!!!Not huge max hp gains but all the way through the rpm range we picked up hp and HUGE TQ!!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:31 AM
daking350
Banned

Here are the dynos from the install of the SMT6 and the a pulley swap.I had the 9lb pulley set from ATI and utilized only one of them.Meaning we used the pulley on the back of the blower only for about a 1/2 lb in boost difference..The first blue line represents the stock ATI pulley combo and no timing control..The second dyno in red you can see we lost a few PEAK hp due to pulling out some timing relative to boost in the upper psi range utilizing a MAP sensor.But look at the GAIN through the rpm range!!at 4000 rpm's we gained 61hp!!!!and an average of 30 hp through the rpm range...Keep in mind this was done with the 1 pulley and with some timing pulled up top to be safe.We experimented with the timing a bit and I hit 425rwhp uncorrected on one run but we decided to pull back the timing just in case and see how the car runs on the street for a while..I am going back in to him soon to get some more tuning as we are still experimenting with the tuning and want to see if a few weeks of running it changes anything on the dyno results.
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed-dyno2.20.1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2004, 10:39 AM
daking350
Banned

Here is the TQ curve.This is where we were truly amazed and we arent finished tuning as you can see by the A/F is a little rich yet. But @ 3700rpms we gained 82TQ!!!!As you can see by the 2 dyno's the tuning of the SMT6 made the most difference rather than attributing all the gains to the pulley.Look at the gains in the 2000-4000 rpms range where boost is just starting to kick in...These results were amazing!!We will be doing more tuning in the near future and utilizing some race gas and playing with the timing and a/f some more..This was just to set the unit up and get it running..One thing we found is that by adding the 2nd half of the 9lb pulley we actually didnt gain anything..It definitely dumped more fuel in but we lost tq and hp cause we didnt want to lean it out any until we seen if the car runs well with this combo on the street..Bob Ida is a custom hot rod builder and has been tuning for 45+years and has a very scientific and cautious approach to tuning which I can admire and respect..We will continue to test the limits with the support of MRC motorsports(Jason) and Bob Ida of IDA automotive.com...
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed-dyno2.20.2.jpg  
Old 02-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are very impressive gains... talk about useable power, NICE!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:54 AM
daking350
Banned

As you can see we still have some safety margin to LEAN out the A/F a bit for even MORE gains!!!But we need some time to play..HeHeHE...
Old 02-21-2004, 11:20 AM
S12 driver

Nice gains. Are you still using the FMU? Or is this on larger injectors?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:38 AM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by S12 driver
Nice gains. Are you still using the FMU? Or is this on larger injectors?
Using the FMU for fuel pressure and rough tune and the SMT6 for timing and fine tune..We still may put more timing back in and go a little Leaner on the A/F but we want to take it step by step and be safe..We are also gonna go back to the Stock pulley and tune exclusively on that to see what we get..Jason from MRC is gonna foot the bill for the DYNO time on that one
Old 02-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Enron Exec

OMG... those torque curves are making my eyes water.

A few questions if you could. How difficult was it to use the software to get these results? Can any average tuner be able to produce these results straight off?

Quick Reply: Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback installed