Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

northeast dynosty build aps tt

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:44 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Do I see gold in that there pan?
Got a new TV show idea... "Bearing Z Gold"!
Oh no, there's 2 puns in there.
Sucks. Build it better. Build it stronger. Build it faster and don't use gold bearings this time around.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:59 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

wow, so sorry to hear that.....
Old 05-29-2018, 04:50 AM
silva350z

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

thanks guys

all i can hope for now is minimal damage and fast recovery...the season just started and I'm not ready to have another year on the sidelines ...

the oil was saturated with fuel and it looked very watery and black all you could smell was fuel in it ...mind you I had 20w50 in it and only about 800 miles on it ....is that normal when running ignite? looked like it thinned out quite a bit

one thing thats really bothering is why the haltech didn't protect the motor when it went lean. None of the failsafes that were set triggered ...
Old 05-29-2018, 05:46 AM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, that's terrible. Hopefully you get it fixed and back on the road asap.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:18 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Nobody on this forum likes seeing a fellow VQ owner go thru with what you are experiencing right now. Really sorry to hear, I hope the rest of the motor is ok and it isn't an expensive fix. Keep on pushin'
Old 05-29-2018, 08:30 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Damn, really sad news...

Originally Posted by silva350z
one thing thats really bothering is why the haltech didn't protect the motor when it went lean. None of the failsafes that were set triggered ...
You mentioned your wideband O2 sensor failed and wasn't reading correctly, if I remember correctly, when a Bosch 4.9 O2 fails it'll default to a rich reading (10's on the gasoline scale). That's probably why none of the fail safes were triggered, the Haltech probably didn't realize it was running lean.

Edit: Not sure about Haltech but on the ProEFI there's a fault you can setup for an O2 failure condition, both lean and rich failure (O2FailedLean & O2FailedRich).

Last edited by thatv35guy; 05-29-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,293 Likes on 1,017 Posts

what other fail-safes did you have in place?

If there is anything I can help with (spare parts, small welding, shoulder to cry on) don't hesitate to PM me...

I know it doesn't help the situation now and maybe it's something to consider down the road but I run an independent set of AEM UEGOs on each bank. Bought the gauges used and put new sensors on them simply as a double check ...

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
when a Bosch 4.9 O2 fails it'll default to a rich reading (10's on the gasoline scale).
do you know if this is true with the bosch 4.2s as well?
Old 05-29-2018, 10:41 AM
thatv35guy

Originally Posted by bealljk
do you know if this is true with the bosch 4.2s as well?
Not positive but I would assume so. I haven't had a 4.2 fail me, just a few 4.9's.

silva350z, do you also have an O2 variance fail safe? Something should trigger if you're off target AFR too.

Last edited by thatv35guy; 05-29-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:19 PM
Tritan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my worst nightmare, Hope Dynosty gets you sorted and back on the track into the 10s maybe?
Old 05-30-2018, 04:45 AM
silva350z

its set so that if it goes past 12.7 for more than .40 seconds it should cut out. Any less and it would cut out during gear changes so thats why he sets it that way.

Although possible Hal doesn't believe the final pulls in the street is what initially caused the damage. It went past 12.7 but came right back down so since it didn't meet the threshold it didn't cut out. it reached 13.0 which is lean but he isn't convinced it was enough to hurt the motor.

The final pull at the track on the other hand very well could have been the demise to this motor. In third gear I was lean up to 19.0 for .70 seconds which is past the .40 threshold and the car did not cutout. There were spikes in 2nd gear as well in the 15's and 16's which was what I had initially felt around 6500 rpms. Hal has no explanation for why the Haltech didn't do its job here. He's got some simulators to test with and hes going to try to reproduce this scenario.

I'll post some screen shots later

I'm going to run a fuel pressure sensor this go around as well as an oil pressure sensor for added failsafes.

Right now I'm trying to find a shipping company to ship the motor to them asap so dynosty can tear it down as soon as they get it. Does anyone know of any good ones in the northeast that won't stiff me too bad on the price?
Old 05-30-2018, 04:49 AM
silva350z

Originally Posted by bealljk
what other fail-safes did you have in place?

If there is anything I can help with (spare parts, small welding, shoulder to cry on) don't hesitate to PM me...

I know it doesn't help the situation now and maybe it's something to consider down the road but I run an independent set of AEM UEGOs on each bank. Bought the gauges used and put new sensors on them simply as a double check ...
thanks for the support bealljk , I have an aem wideband separate from the haltech that I use for the gauge to look at inside my car which was working but I wasn't paying attention because i was more focused on not crashing. The hoosiers in the street make the car feel like a boogie board.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:03 AM
silva350z

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Damn, really sad news...

You mentioned your wideband O2 sensor failed and wasn't reading correctly, if I remember correctly, when a Bosch 4.9 O2 fails it'll default to a rich reading (10's on the gasoline scale). That's probably why none of the fail safes were triggered, the Haltech probably didn't realize it was running lean.

Edit: Not sure about Haltech but on the ProEFI there's a fault you can setup for an O2 failure condition, both lean and rich failure (O2FailedLean & O2FailedRich).
the haltech wideband was dead completely there was no reading according to the log on that pull which is what triggered the codes. It ran like **** when the codes came on but it cleared up quickly

i had killed 2 02's for my aem gauge prior due to hitting the 2step but they were also old sensors. My haltech one on the other hand was fairly new and i still killed it. What can I do to prevent buying a new sensor every time lol
Old 05-30-2018, 08:01 AM
thatv35guy

the haltech wideband was dead completely there was no reading according to the log on that pull which is what triggered the codes. It ran like **** when the codes came on but it cleared up quickly

i had killed 2 02's for my aem gauge prior due to hitting the 2step but they were also old sensors. My haltech one on the other hand was fairly new and i still killed it. What can I do to prevent buying a new sensor every time lol
That's weird that it had no reading at all... as far as O2 sensors, a few years ago I lost two fairly new 4.9's during extreme "rich" conditions (stemming from an improper catch can routing done by a local shop). Once I cleaned that up I havn't had an issue since. I also don't get on my two step that much.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:03 AM
thatv35guy

I'm going to run a fuel pressure sensor this go around as well as an oil pressure sensor for added failsafes.
When you went extremely lean at the drag strip did your fuel pressure drop?

Edit: Oh yeah, you probably don't have a reading of fuel pressure since you didn't have a sensor in, duh.

I've found fuel pressure to be a critical sensor. I've had a rapid fuel pressure drop from maxing out my single 485 fuel pump. My ProEFI was able to compensate for the fuel pressure drop by turning up the injector duty and the AFR stayed safe and below target, also cut target boost.
Attached Thumbnails northeast dynosty build aps tt-fuel_pressure_failsafe.jpg  

Last edited by thatv35guy; 05-30-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:00 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Very sorry to hear. Unless the oil level ran low, over heated or you had a mechanical over-rev then I hope Dynosty figures it out and gets you taken care of. You can set up a trigger for a warning if a sensor voltage is out of range but not sure you can trigger a fail safe condition. I have been meaning to post up a review of the new Haltech CAN gauge. It can monitor 40 sensor feeds simultaneously for warning conditions. I have been very impressed with it.

More sensors would be better as you can set up fail safes for most critical conditions, e.g. if differential fuel pressure drops.

Last edited by rcdash; 05-30-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:01 PM
silva350z

Heres my failsafes and the lean pass at the track

Old 05-30-2018, 02:14 PM
silva350z

and here is my 11.4 pass just before

everything looked perfect here

my fuel comp was only at 60 so the most boost i saw was 18lbs ....boost by gear and flex corrections were clearly working
Old 05-30-2018, 02:29 PM
silva350z

Originally Posted by rcdash
Very sorry to hear. Unless the oil level ran low, over heated or you had a mechanical over-rev then I hope Dynosty figures it out and gets you taken care of. You can set up a trigger for a warning if a sensor voltage is out of range but not sure you can trigger a fail safe condition. I have been meaning to post up a review of the new Haltech CAN gauge. It can monitor 40 sensor feeds simultaneously for warning conditions. I have been very impressed with it.

More sensors would be better as you can set up fail safes for most critical conditions, e.g. if differential fuel pressure drops.
no overheating at all, at the track temps didn't go past 213

oil pressure was also normal when i started it to check after the street passes .. i think i might of saved it in time

I cannot blame dynosty for what happened it simply went lean and the haltech didn't work when needed the most

I suspect it was due to low fuel but im skepticle only because I had filled it with 8 gallons of ignite plus whatever pump gas was still in it ....I don't see how it could waste that in 2 passes
Old 05-30-2018, 04:14 PM
thatv35guy

and here is my 11.4 pass just before

everything looked perfect here

my fuel comp was only at 60 so the most boost i saw was 18lbs ....boost by gear and flex corrections were clearly working
Hey, am I looking at this correctly, was you AFR deep in the 12's the whole way? What's your target AFR?

If that's right that seems way to lean too IMO. I don't think it is but is Ignite race gas maybe oxygenated?

Here's my high octane target AFR map:

I run my car a little richer than those values too just to be safe.
Attached Thumbnails northeast dynosty build aps tt-haltech_turbo_350z_log.jpg   northeast dynosty build aps tt-high_octane_target_afr.jpg  

Last edited by thatv35guy; 05-30-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:54 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Fuel pressure sensor

Everyone should use the fuel injector differential pressure failsafe (you have disabled). I have that trip all the time with less than 1/4 tank but the other failsafe never does. Widebands are very slow to catch an instant lean condition. It will catch tuning issues maybe; if you have transient fueling pressure issues it will not.