Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger stripped inside pulley and shaft....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 AM
Enriquez2000

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Procharger stripped inside pulley and shaft....

Last night i heard a weird noise so upon opening my hood i see the drive pulley bolt is sheered off and pulley is sliding around. Upon removal the keyway was ground to nothing and shaft groove is fockered.

car is new to me so I expect having to fix other people's problems. I went through box of parts I got with the car and it looks like this has happened once before because there is a bearing section with bow shaft on it and the shaft is damaged just the same along with another pulley has damaged just the same.

I'm now wondering if there's something else I need to address or if just replacing the center section keyway pulley and Bolt twerking to spec I should be okay...

Last edited by Enriquez2000; 01-22-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:16 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Let this be a fork in the road...

If you want a FI 350z than:

A. If you like the procharger keep it, it's not a bad kit and I think that who ever had the car before you probably beat on it a little bit and didnt perform the necessary mods required to have a 400hp car. Which it sounds like youre fixing.

B. If you like superchargers than spend the money to have the procharger kit fixed 100% (send it back to ATI and have them do a mini-overhaul on the cogs & the blower) and sell the kit to someone that is cool with 350-400hp. Or part it out as is. From there, look into the Vortech kit ...

C. If you want to stay FI, as mentioned above, fix & sell / part out the procharger and go turbo. Many many people have go away from belt driven chargers for turbo. It sounds like you have most the components already. You probably know a guy in Denver that would help you with any welding/fab/install/opinions!

Last edited by bealljk; 01-22-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:47 AM
Enriquez2000

Originally Posted by bealljk
Let this be a fork in the road...

If you want a FI 350z than:

A. If you like the procharger keep it, it's not a bad kit and I think that who ever had the car before you probably beat on it a little bit and didnt perform the necessary mods required to have a 400hp car. Which it sounds like youre fixing.

B. If you like superchargers than spend the money to have the procharger kit fixed 100% (send it back to ATI and have them do a mini-overhaul on the cogs & the blower) and sell the kit to someone that is cool with 350-400hp. Or part it out as is. From there, look into the Vortech kit ...

C. If you want to stay FI, as mentioned above, fix & sell / part out the procharger and go turbo. Many many people have go away from belt driven chargers for turbo. It sounds like you have most the components already. You probably know a guy in Denver that would help you with any welding/fab/install/opinions!

i would love to TT the car but that means forged internals and machine work. May do this down the road...

ati thinks(you and i agree) that the guy previous beat on it and didnt replace keyways as maintenance items like they recommend.

luckily i have a good realtionship with ATI at this point and parts total is about 250 for everything i need to fix this issue(although will need to remember keyway checks if i get on it often)

I only have 4k in the car with all the repairs im doing so im not doing too bad if i decide to abndon it lol
Old 01-22-2019, 08:26 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Enriquez2000
i would love to TT the car but that means forged internals and machine work. May do this down the road...

ati thinks(you and i agree) that the guy previous beat on it and didnt replace keyways as maintenance items like they recommend.

luckily i have a good realtionship with ATI at this point and parts total is about 250 for everything i need to fix this issue(although will need to remember keyway checks if i get on it often)

I only have 4k in the car with all the repairs im doing so im not doing too bad if i decide to abndon it lol
You dont need to build the block if you run under 10psi ...

I dont think the keyway is a maintenance item and should last the life of the blower (as long as it's not pushed beyonds it's limits (but this is just me).

I've found that ATI has nothing but great customer service. They rebuilt my blower for free back in the day when a bearing locked up on me.

If you can heal-up for $250 than I'd do that.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 AM
Enriquez2000

You dont need to build the block if you run under 10psi ...

I dont think the keyway is a maintenance item and should last the life of the blower (as long as it's not pushed beyonds it's limits (but this is just me).

I've found that ATI has nothing but great customer service. They rebuilt my blower for free back in the day when a bearing locked up on me.

If you can heal-up for $250 than I'd do that.
really... 10psi will hold up on these? Ideas are coming!
I bet these would do great on a couple fast spooling 18g turbos

i also wonder what grade keyway was put into this... he had about a foot of keyway in parts box that it looks like he got for himself. I sold steel for 5yrs... if he got mild(standard) vs high carbon it would make all the difference i would think.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:40 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

You can put 400 to 425hp through the engine for a mid to long term. Assuming you have other mods in place to support it (which you have - correct fuel, good tuning platform, oil cooler, 10cents worth of car knowledge).

I ran the greddy 18 for a while and they were good - not great, but good...

Get the procharger fixed and re-installed, get your fuel setup where it needs to be, get the haltech installed and tuned. From there just enjoy the car. You can likely get 400hp out of your setup and fulfill the stock block.

If you want more power down the road you can always part-out the procharger kit and find the 18g kit. As mentioned in another thread, I just parted mine out for $2700...
Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Enriquez2000

You can put 400 to 425hp through the engine for a mid to long term. Assuming you have other mods in place to support it (which you have - correct fuel, good tuning platform, oil cooler, 10cents worth of car knowledge).

I ran the greddy 18 for a while and they were good - not great, but good...

Get the procharger fixed and re-installed, get your fuel setup where it needs to be, get the haltech installed and tuned. From there just enjoy the car. You can likely get 400hp out of your setup and fulfill the stock block.

If you want more power down the road you can always part-out the procharger kit and find the 18g kit. As mentioned in another thread, I just parted mine out for $2700...
nice $2700 goes a long way for a turbo build... ill get it back running so i can enjoy it for a bit... always want more down the road... as with any car
Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Enriquez2000
nice $2700 goes a long way for a turbo build... ill get it back running so i can enjoy it for a bit... always want more down the road... as with any car
I dropped $2300 on a professional exam prep course...but I'm slowly re-filling the car fund!