Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

scavenge pump return line too low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 06:46 AM
craigs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scavenge pump return line too low?

i recently bought a 03 with turbo. turbo has exhaust side oil leak.
this turbo is mid mounted under car's driveshaft. it uses a scavenge pump on the return line.
return line looks to be of adequate size.
the return line is plumbed into the bottom of oil pan, not the side bottom, but the actual bottom.

is this ok? the return line does swoop upwards over the crossmember then back down under the pan..
will the scavenge pump pressure overcome the pan oil pressure?
Old 04-03-2020, 07:06 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by craigs
i recently bought a 03 with turbo. turbo has exhaust side oil leak.
this turbo is mid mounted under car's driveshaft. it uses a scavenge pump on the return line.
return line looks to be of adequate size.
the return line is plumbed into the bottom of oil pan, not the side bottom, but the actual bottom.

is this ok? the return line does swoop upwards over the crossmember then back down under the pan..
will the scavenge pump pressure overcome the pan oil pressure?
like the bottom bottom? Like facing the road? Nah, I would definitely redo that! of the my two turbo setups and a rear-mount that I did with a buddy I always drill a hole in the upper oil pan and put a AN bulkhead fitting.

I dont think it's pumping back into the pan well enough to over-come the head-pressure of the oil in the oil pan.

Can you post any pictures?

Last edited by bealljk; 04-03-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 AM
craigs

it is literally in the bottom-bottom.

i will post pics this evening. this is a parts car i bought for the turbo system....and this part did not look right to me.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:05 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

it is literally in the bottom-bottom.

i will post pics this evening. this is a parts car i bought for the turbo system....and this part did not look right to me.
cool cool

we might (jokingly) give you **** for installing a return line in the bottom of the pan. lol!!! just kidding! I know you didnt do it!

Cool that you picked up a parts car for the turbo stuff. What turbo kit is on the car?

I have probably quadrupled my money on a parts car ... post the car up on FB Marketplace and you'll make a ton of cash!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:04 PM
craigs

The turbo is a precision pt5858, i know it's not a premium brand or giant turbo... But this is my first turbo and all the other gear for the system are premium brands.
My engine is not built for a big turbo anyway so this one will be a good start. I'm not so sure i want the turbo to be mounted under the car. ( but that means buying more parts)
and it's complete including gauges. The car also has 20" rohannas ( which i will sell) and more stuff i'll use for my car..
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 01:08 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

The turbo is a precision pt5858, i know it's not a premium brand or giant turbo... But this is my first turbo and all the other gear for the system are premium brands.
My engine is not built for a big turbo anyway so this one will be a good start. I'm not so sure i want the turbo to be mounted under the car. ( but that means buying more parts)
and it's complete including gauges. The car also has 20" rohannas ( which i will sell) and more stuff i'll use for my car..
Precision is a pretty good brand - I would say that they are near the top with Garrett. I think Precision had some quality issues back in the day and that's tarnished their reputation.

Do you have any engine work done? what are your goals for the turbo kit & the car?

a mid-mount turbo is probably my 2nd favorite place - if you ask me... best = front, good = mid, bad = rear and twin

and that's right! If anything breaks you got a second car to ****** parts from!!!
Zelduh (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 05:28 PM
Zelduh

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

+1 on Precision, no need to make apologies for that!

The return on the bottom of the pan freaks me out, too. Not the least of which it getting broken off on a speed bump. As bealljk mentioned the head pressure couldn't be any worse where it is.

I saw a JWT pan spacer fitted with a return line, but that may be higher than you'd like. Ideally, I'd prefer it to be above the windage level, but that may not be practical either.

So, if I may, sometimes an oil supply line flows too much for the return to accommodate. In this case, perhaps the pump, line routing and location are working extra hard against you. Sometimes a restrictor in the supply line may allow you to regulate the correct supply to the turbo. Precision could probably suggest a size for your setup.

$.02 HTH
bealljk (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 10:39 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Zelduh
+1 on Precision, no need to make apologies for that!
right! shoot, I was running kinugawas for awhile and they were kicking *** but nothing like garrett or precision!

The return on the bottom of the pan freaks me out, too. Not the least of which it getting broken off on a speed bump. As bealljk mentioned the head pressure couldn't be any worse where it is.
I was thinking about this and if the worst thing that happened was an oil leak than that is incredibly lucky! Road debris or a bad speed bump means new-engine time! You could follow the engine trail back and see what speed bump/debris ruined your weekend!

I saw a JWT pan spacer fitted with a return line, but that may be higher than you'd like. Ideally, I'd prefer it to be above the windage level, but that may not be practical either.
The spacer is a step in the right direction but the higher you can put that return fitting the better. If the engine is coming out of the car consider having a fitting welded to the upper oil pan. If you wanna send me your upper oil pan I'll weld a fitting on there no-charge ... gotta pay for shipping though!

Interested to see how this build goes for sure!
Zelduh (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 03:23 PM
craigs

here is the pan fitting, I will have the engine out of my car before putting this system in. I will be able to put the fitting anywhere I want.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:32 PM
craigs

I just was trying to see if this may be the cause of the current oil leak in the turbo as installed now. I don't was to install it in my car as is and have this problem.
as far as goals for the car....aggressive street driving via 50 to 80 extra horsepower.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:11 PM
superpreditor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just was trying to see if this may be the cause of the current oil leak in the turbo as installed now. I don't was to install it in my car as is and have this problem.
as far as goals for the car....aggressive street driving via 50 to 80 extra horsepower.
Are you venting your crank case to atmosphere?
Z1 sells an oil pan spacer that'll give you an extra quart of oil and provides a provision for oil return.
Additionally when you turn off the vehicle there is still oil pressure in the line, that can leak into the compressor and turbine housing with a low mounted turbo. I solved this by putting my scavenge pump on a turbo timer.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:43 PM
Zelduh

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

It's not as bad as I was expecting, as it looks to be a good size and somewhat protected by the radiator support. Still far from ideal on the bottom.

Were you able to inspect the supply line diameter and ask if Precision had a recommendation for any kind of restrictor? Sometimes people assume bigger is better, where in this case it might cause problems like you're experiencing.