Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New Build: Supercharged 350z

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 09:57 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ZacksLifestyle
Also, I was looking for more info on the supertech block guards, I wasn't sure if I should get them or not. I tried looking for threads on it but I couldn't find very much info on them on here, but I may also not have looked hard enough. I watched a video of someone explaining them while building their vq motor but they spent about 3 seconds talking about it and said some people said they were good and some people said they were not.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/engine...d-p-11737.html
Originally Posted by 0taku
If your target is 600 on e85, you’re wasting your money on that imo. All the people I met with 800+ on their VQs still run the stock blocks. (No guard, no sleeves, no girdle)

Personally, my pursuit to 900 doesn’t involve any such upgrades either.
I like the concept of the block guard and if I was a little smarter I would have slipped one in when my block was disassembled. I think for how inexpensive and easy it is to install it provides benefit by stabilizing.

0Taku - I think you'd be foolish to disregard a block guard and the dynosty girdle - you're asking for problems … the OEM girdle structure is lacking and when you factor in that the HR and VHR have significantly bolstered theirs up you're asking for low-end structural problems.

Sleeves are a good thing but they fail more often than not due to installation. I would never sleeve a block unless the shop that did the work stood behind the work 100%.
The following users liked this post:
0taku (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 11:19 AM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
I like the concept of the block guard and if I was a little smarter I would have slipped one in when my block was disassembled. I think for how inexpensive and easy it is to install it provides benefit by stabilizing.

0Taku - I think you'd be foolish to disregard a block guard and the dynosty girdle - you're asking for problems … the OEM girdle structure is lacking and when you factor in that the HR and VHR have significantly bolstered theirs up you're asking for low-end structural problems.

Sleeves are a good thing but they fail more often than not due to installation. I would never sleeve a block unless the shop that did the work stood behind the work 100%.
If that’s the case, let’s hope i tank my current motor so I can swap out for a closed deck
Old 11-01-2020, 12:42 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
I 10000% agree with this, the guy who did my engine work is actually getting ready to sleeve a VQ, don't recall or if its a DE or HR, but the owner is shooting for 900+. I told the dude to be super careful, the VQ has a ton of problems dropping a aftermarket sleeve, he told me what ever the sleeve he is using is a four step unlike Darton's two step.