Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Does TT need 2 BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Akira
So where is this MAF sensor located? Thanks in advanced. And the reason I ask is because I am installing the Greddy TT kit pretty soon. I have the kit, but I am just waiting for Nissan to fix my tranny problem first.

Mr.B - I will say hi next time for sure.
In stock trim, the MAF is located just after the airbox, and it measures air before it goes into the TB. With the Greddy Kit, the MAF is in roughly the same location...just slightly down a little bit further. If you install the BOV after the sensor, then as you decel, air will be vented in the atmosphere AFTER it's be measured by the MAF sensor. This is what causes the potential for stalling and a rich AF condition. If you look at the Vortech kit, the BOV is located BEFORE the MAF sensor to avoid this issue. The Bay Area TT dude installed his BOV before the MAF sensor and has no issues with stalling, so I am assuming this is an easy way to solve the issue with the BOV.

Regarding the pros and cons of BOV's in low boost conditions...lets just agree to disagree. I've spoken to Tadashi over the phone, and he is EXTREMELY knowledeable about ECU's, Turbos, and Z setup. I good BOV is only $175. Personally, I like it for the cool sound it makes...and if it helps increase longevity of the turbos....that's gravy to me!!
Old 03-01-2004, 06:56 PM
AREITU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by etx
If Greddy, PE and Tadashi jumped off a bridge would you?
If Tadashi jumped off a bridge, I would too.

Originally posted by etx

6 psi is low comparatively, but it's physically a decent amount of air and is without a doubt enough to put a lot of extra wear on your turbos. Like ^ said, he can here that sound. That sound is the sound of that *little* amount of air pushing the compressor wheel around the other way. Beside the wear surge can cause to a turbo, think about the time it takes for the turbo shaft to start going the right way again. Now think of what happens when your exhaust gas is getting pushed back in by the turbine wheel. Yeah, really healthy.
You really haven't seen all the threads on forums of turbocharged cars regarding blowoff valves. Every factory FI car forum I've been on has a gigantic thread questioning blowoff valves and turbo timers. Maybe it is unhealthy, but it might take so long to show any detrimental effects, it dosen't matter.

Originally posted by etx

Does Tadashi sell turbos? I'm sure he does and I'm sure that's the first place you will go when yours die. What a great service this guy is providing. I don't care if you run a bov or not. But I feel bad for the masses who read your post and think it's ok. It's NOT ok.
Yes, he does in fact. He just dosen't make it himself. If you don't think it's okay, then don't buy the kit or go buy a BOV if you do buy the kit.

Originally posted by etx

I do not know Tadashi, but I am sure he is a very knowledgeable person. But I simply disagree with him. Perhaps the Z does not close the throttle place all the way when you back off the throttle, that could help prevent surge. I have never run a FI system on a motor that uses a DBW throttle.
You have never run an FI system on a motor that uses DBW? It may assure you to hear that it works fine on the 2004+ WRX and WRX STi, and the biturbo V12 AMG Mercedes.

Originally posted by I-Speed GC8
yes i would have to agree with etx. I have never heard of any turbo'd car from the factory or aftermarket running without a bypass valve. Im pretty sure the length of the piping is delaying the damage to the compressor shaft caused by the sudden build up of pressure once the throttle plate closes. The compressor surge isnt good for the longitivity of your turbo(s). To be safe and prevent a dent in your wallet i would invest in a bypass valve. Also dont believe everything you read online do some reasearch of your own.
I highly doubt you would disagree with Tadashi if you talked to him in person. Like someone said earlier, he dosen't make his own turbo kits, he's a reseller. I don't beleive everything I read online, but I do beleive what people with years of hands-on tuning experience tell me. I would rather invest in a pop-off valve rather than a bypass valve
If you're wondering why cars come with bypass valves from the factory, it's for emissions purposes. When emissions from a car is considered, EVERYTHING from the paint to the wood trim is considered (that's why leaded paint isn't used anymore). That's why a bypass valve recirculates in OE cars so that nothing unscrupulous enters the atmosphere.

Behold the face of the men you know not.

From the left-- Yours truly, The Cookie Monstor, Tadashi the Man, and Mister Moore.
Attached Thumbnails Does TT need 2 BOV?-me-with-tadashismall-1-.jpg  

Last edited by AREITU; 03-01-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Well said.

AREITU, you could seriously pass for Tadashi's younger brother...are you related?
Old 03-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

its the hair cut
Old 03-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Mr B

Hahaha, this thread's beginning to get funny.

Sharif - I hope everything's going well with you! Give me a call sometime when you get your kit down. Maybe you can come to Arcadia and we'll hit up Au79 to have some tea drinks and marvel over the Greddy kits. Hehehe.

Barney - Like wow. Instead of Cheston getting the beaver put on the side of his car, you should do it to yours. I never realized how much you resembled... yeah... j/k!
Old 03-01-2004, 08:28 PM
BigBadBlackTrack

Originally posted by Mr B

Barney - Like wow. Instead of Cheston getting the beaver put on the side of his car, you should do it to yours. I never realized how much you resembled... yeah... j/k!
Why stop with a beaver? Why not a pic of his mom?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:46 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

you all suck
Old 03-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
you all suck
yeah...this thread is in a free-fall. )

Brian...you have a deal! I think the next two weeks will be the longest of my life! Do I hear "TT Z Meet"???!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:11 PM
AREITU

Originally posted by gq_model_626
Well said.

AREITU, you could seriously pass for Tadashi's younger brother...are you related?
Why do you think I'm in the picture?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:27 AM
etx

Originally posted by Chebosto
as for the comments about Tadashi, thats kinda outta the blue. Tadashi doesnt sell any turbo kits of his own manufacture, however he is a reseller, and we did design the piping and help PE out with the TT kit..... that doesnt mean he's going to purposely go of his way, to say comments like what you say he is doing just to blow up your engine to make a buck. that's just not common sense. Blow a motor, and what? make money off the repairs, but lose 10x as much from the bad press?? think about it.
I never said anything about blowing motors. Also I said I respect the guy and I am sure he knows what he is doing, But I disagree with him.

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
id like to know what makes etx such an authority, it makes sense to me that decent sized turbos like in both kits at only 6 lbs of boost should be just fine.
Beside the years of experiance developing tuning and running turbo systems.... Nothing.

Like I said before, sure 6 psi is not much in relation to what you people think in a lot of boost. But FI is not about pressure, it's about volume. With the volume of pressurised air though all the charge pipes and the FMIC you have a LOT of extra air and it all needs to go somewhere when the throttle plate closes.

I do not need to prove anything to you guys. All I said was to your research. I'm glad this entire forum is more of a d1ck size contest than a technical forum.

Originally posted by AREITU

You really haven't seen all the threads on forums of turbocharged cars regarding blowoff valves. Every factory FI car forum I've been on has a gigantic thread questioning blowoff valves and turbo timers. Maybe it is unhealthy, but it might take so long to show any detrimental effects, it dosen't matter.
What do you mean MABYE? It was proven yeeears ago. Turbo times are different. They are pointless.

You have never run an FI system on a motor that uses DBW? It may assure you to hear that it works fine on the 2004+ WRX and WRX STi, and the biturbo V12 AMG Mercedes.
^ All factory turbo cars. What's your point?

I highly doubt you would disagree with Tadashi if you talked to him in person. Like someone said earlier, he dosen't make his own turbo kits, he's a reseller. I don't beleive everything I read online, but I do beleive what people with years of hands-on tuning experience tell me.
I doubt he could persuade me into believeing the laws of physics do not apply here.

If you're wondering why cars come with bypass valves from the factory, it's for emissions purposes. When emissions from a car is considered, EVERYTHING from the paint to the wood trim is considered (that's why leaded paint isn't used anymore). That's why a bypass valve recirculates in OE cars so that nothing unscrupulous enters the atmosphere.
I don't think anyone was wondering. Thanks cap'n obvious.

It seems to me like you think BOV's / Bypass valves are only there to make funny noises for the rice boys. It's a very vital part of any FI system. At least for a daily driven car. So drag cars do no use any type of release because the are not daily driven and the throttle plate does not close becuase they do not have to shift. Do you have a auto drag trans in your Z ? heh.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:21 AM
AREITU

Originally posted by etx
I never said anything about blowing motors. Also I said I respect the guy and I am sure he knows what he is doing, But I disagree with him.

Beside the years of experiance developing tuning and running turbo systems.... Nothing.
Originally posted by etx
Like I said before, sure 6 psi is not much in relation to what you people think in a lot of boost. But FI is not about pressure, it's about volume. With the volume of pressurised air though all the charge pipes and the FMIC you have a LOT of extra air and it all needs to go somewhere when the throttle plate closes.
And it backs through the compressor. Also remember that these turbo kits so far are on trailer queens or daily drivers. They're not going to be hitting full boost, then closing the throttle body.

Originally posted by etx
I do not need to prove anything to you guys. All I said was to your research. I'm glad this entire forum is more of a d1ck size contest than a technical forum.
You're from Detroit, of course you need to prove something. That's why we're all standing in front of these urinals pissing really hard. I've done my research and it always ends up going both ways. One dude who's had years of experience (as opposed to experiance) deveoping, tuning and running turbo systems says it's fine. Another dude who's had years of experience (as opposed to experiance) developing, tuning and running turbo systems says it's essential to have a blowoff valve. It depends on your sources.

Originally posted by etx

I doubt he could persuade me into believeing the laws of physics
do not apply here.
He could probably give a better explanation than all us inexperieanced (as opposed to inexperienced) people. Lemme go ask him about it when he's got some spare time.

Originally posted by etx

I don't think anyone was wondering. Thanks cap'n obvious.
You're very welcome!

Originally posted by etx
So drag cars do no use any type of release because the are not daily driven and the throttle plate does not close becuase they do not have to shift. Do you have a auto drag trans in your Z ? heh.
I don't think anyone was wonder. Thank you Captain Obvious.

Originally posted by etx
It seems to me like you think BOV's / Bypass valves are only there to make funny noises for the rice boys. It's a very vital part of any FI system. At least for a daily driven car.
Besides, if you think about it, rice boys buy spoilers because they think the spoilers work or so something useful. I think nearly all the BOVs on the market are there to make funny noises for rice boys. There's only two or three good BOV/bypass valves. It's the only one that dosen't make a WRX stall when venting into the atmosphere.

Your argument is compelling. We will all buy blowoff-valves now.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:07 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally posted by etx

^ All factory turbo cars. What's your point?

im pretty sure that was his point, factory turbo cars dont need it...
unless of course they can go against the laws of physics.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:35 PM
etx

You're from Detroit, of course you need to prove something.
And what would that be? Where are you from, California? Where chronic stupidity runs ramped.

I've done my research and it always ends up going both ways.
Well dosen't everyone from Califonia go both ways?

One dude who's had years of experience (as opposed to experiance) deveoping, tuning and running turbo systems says it's fine. Another dude who's had years of experience (as opposed to experiance) developing, tuning and running turbo systems says it's essential to have a blowoff valve. It depends on your sources.
Oh yes. The never failing attack on someones spelling (or lack thereof) skills. That's really a great fall back when your out of ammo. Good job, asshat.

I'm about done with this forum. Take care Choads.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:43 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally posted by etx

I'm about done with this forum. Take care Choads.
The never failing attack w/ obscenities. That's really a great fall back when your out of ammo. Good job, asshat.

good riddance is all i haveto say
Old 03-02-2004, 01:11 PM
AREITU

I wonder if he's gonna buy blowoff valves for the Greddy kit he has on order.

As for going both ways in California, It doubles one's chances of scoring! Why do you ask? Thinking about moving out here? Not everyone likes to be associated with intellectual giants such as eminem and ICP.

Last edited by AREITU; 03-02-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:25 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

heh detriot pride
Old 03-02-2004, 08:39 PM
MySunset350Z

dont let them get to you etx. i'd much rather be from detroit then from any part of california. fruityness doesnt have its own city here. i cant believe you looked at going both ways as getting more action. thats just dirty.

i've seen what etx did with his other car. when he says something, you better believe it.

just to enlighten you people, detroit and the auto industry go hand in hand. weather you like it or not, detroit has always and will always be the place to go if you have any ***** or smarts when it comes to the auto industry. so if you feel like someone needs to prove something just because they're from detroit, its because everyone here is just so damn good at everything. competition is stiff. wait maybe i shouldnt use that word around you. oh well, try to control yourself.

i love how people cant take it when someone else challenges their way of thinking. take it like man, or whatever the hell is it you are. you might want to specifty since you live in "cali".

dont make your petty jokes about detroit. believe me, a lot more useless sh*t has come out of california then detroit. people fear what they dont understand, and that is exactly your issue.

peace.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:00 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

areitu is aloud to choose his own life style, get over it

as for etx, were not calling him a liar, we just dont think hes correct in his statments, there is a difference.

so you guys know alot about cars because you live in detroit?

wow. us californians must understand automotive aerodynamics really well since alot of sports cars are designed out here...

hes not challenging our way of thinking, were challenging his, and he couldnt take it so he left...
Old 03-02-2004, 09:23 PM
AREITU

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
dont let them get to you etx. i'd much rather be from detroit then from any part of california. fruityness doesnt have its own city here. i cant believe you looked at going both ways as getting more action. thats just dirty.
You fear something you don't understand and that's the ability of people to love whomever they choose. Rust and crappy products dosen't have it's own city in California.

i've seen what etx did with his other car. when he says something, you better believe it.
We haven't seen what ETX did with his other car. When you say something, we won't beleive it. Pictures please.

just to enlighten you people, detroit and the auto industry go hand in hand. weather you like it or not, detroit has always and will always be the place to go if you have any ***** or smarts when it comes to the auto industry. so if you feel like someone needs to prove something just because they're from detroit, its because everyone here is just so damn good at everything. competition is stiff. wait maybe i shouldnt use that word around you. oh well, try to control yourself.
Actually all the good stuff that you think is from Detroit actually comes out of Europe. GM is using European-designed platforms for their cars because it's cheaper. Ford is selling the Focus, a European platform.

i love how people cant take it when someone else challenges their way of thinking. take it like man, or whatever the hell is it you are. you might want to specifty since you live in "cali".
How do you know I'm the one who can't take it like man? You've got all that detriot steel stashed away somewhere. Try pulling it out before you talk.

dont make your petty jokes about detroit. believe me, a lot more useless sh*t has come out of california then detroit. people fear what they dont understand, and that is exactly your issue.

peace.
You didn't say "please."

A lot more useless shxt has come out of California? Please explain the Ford Temp, Mustang, Festiva, Taurus (of all years). Please explain to me their tendency to break down, decpreciate and end up in fleets and junkyards. So what kind of useful shxt has come out of Detroit?
I'm thinking useful stuff comes out of California. Mostly because a lot of things you "order" from Japan has probably gone through California. I think that offsets all the hundreds of thousands of crappy products from detroit.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:24 PM
AREITU

Put this on.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Does TT need 2 BOV?