Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Does TT need 2 BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Akira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does TT need 2 BOV?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but does Greddy TT need 2 BOV? I did the search but no answers.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:41 PM
ZRAYGO

How come? I thought every turbo needed some kind of BOV? I guess that answers my question as to why the Greddy TT does not come with a BOV. Please advise.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Mr B

It doesn't need two BOV's cuz the piping after the intercooler is only one pipe, not two. Therefore, two BOV's are not necessary.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:52 PM
BigBadBlackTrack

With the Z's TT setups the boost is so low that it doesnt even need a BOV.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:20 PM
BigBadBlackTrack

Although having one makes it more fun to drive It sounds mean!
Old 02-29-2004, 11:36 PM
I-Speed GC8

You only need an additional BOv if the boost you run exceeds the vent limit of the BOV.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:36 PM
I-Speed GC8

woops double post
Old 03-01-2004, 07:13 AM
etx

Originally posted by BigBadBlackTrack
Although having one makes it more fun to drive It sounds mean!
Hah, That's the sound of compressor surge. I hope you like replacing your turbos every 6 months. ALL Turbo kits need a BOV no matter what.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:21 PM
BigBadBlackTrack

Originally posted by etx
Hah, That's the sound of compressor surge. I hope you like replacing your turbos every 6 months. ALL Turbo kits need a BOV no matter what.
Yes thats what I said before, when they were installing my PE kit. No BOV = compressor surge. But Tadashi from Techno Square and the Head Engineer of Power Enterprise both agreed it wasnt needed.

So between a guy that just likes driving fast cars VS the guys that tunes D1 grand prix cars and finished the US-Spec PE Kit and the actual guy that designed the J-Spec PE Kit who would you believe?
Old 03-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Mr B

Not every turbo kit needs a BOV. Only after a certain psi limit does compressor surge come into play. The Greddy kit rated at 5.6psi hardly needs a BOV...
Old 03-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Akira

Hey Mr. B, I saw your car in D1 the other day. You have really nice car. Big thumbs up for you
Old 03-01-2004, 02:34 PM
BigBadBlackTrack

Originally posted by Mr B
Not every turbo kit needs a BOV. Only after a certain psi limit does compressor surge come into play. The Greddy kit rated at 5.6psi hardly needs a BOV...
Thank You Mr. Brian
Old 03-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Mr B

No problem! Always there to be the a-hole.

Akira - Thanks man. Next time you see my car, say hi! I'm the dorky looking chinaman with the red cheeks. I'm also decked out in Function Garage clothing usually. Hope you had fun at the event!
Old 03-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even in low boost conditions, I can still hear that "chu, chu chu" sounds (sorry for the lack of a better term), that the turbo will make on decel or off-throttle. That is the sound of the turbo violently slowing down...isn't it? I thnk the BOV's sound cool, and may help reduce turbo wear...even in low boost conditions. It's probably not manditory, but nice to have, especially if you decide to boost 8-9psi. Just place it before the MAF sensor to avoid stalling issues. Just my opinion.

Mr. B....can you tell I have been doing some research?? hehe...I wonder why?? This Saturday is the big day.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:47 PM
etx

Originally posted by BigBadBlackTrack
Yes thats what I said before, when they were installing my PE kit. No BOV = compressor surge. But Tadashi from Techno Square and the Head Engineer of Power Enterprise both agreed it wasnt needed.

So between a guy that just likes driving fast cars VS the guys that tunes D1 grand prix cars and finished the US-Spec PE Kit and the actual guy that designed the J-Spec PE Kit who would you believe?
If Greddy, PE and Tadashi jumped off a bridge would you?

6 psi is low comparatively, but it's physically a decent amount of air and is without a doubt enough to put a lot of extra wear on your turbos. Like ^ said, he can here that sound. That sound is the sound of that *little* amount of air pushing the compressor wheel around the other way. Beside the wear surge can cause to a turbo, think about the time it takes for the turbo shaft to start going the right way again. Now think of what happens when your exhaust gas is getting pushed back in by the turbine wheel. Yeah, really healthy.

Does Tadashi sell turbos? I'm sure he does and I'm sure that's the first place you will go when yours die. What a great service this guy is providing. I don't care if you run a bov or not. But I feel bad for the masses who read your post and think it's ok. It's NOT ok.

I do not know Tadashi, but I am sure he is a very knowledgeable person. But I simply disagree with him. Perhaps the Z does not close the throttle place all the way when you back off the throttle, that could help prevent surge. I have never run a FI system on a motor that uses a DBW throttle.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Akira

just place it before the MAF sensor to avoid stalling issues
So where is this MAF sensor located? Thanks in advanced. And the reason I ask is because I am installing the Greddy TT kit pretty soon. I have the kit, but I am just waiting for Nissan to fix my tranny problem first.

Mr.B - I will say hi next time for sure.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:10 PM
I-Speed GC8

yes i would have to agree with etx. I have never heard of any turbo'd car from the factory or aftermarket running without a bypass valve. Im pretty sure the length of the piping is delaying the damage to the compressor shaft caused by the sudden build up of pressure once the throttle plate closes. The compressor surge isnt good for the longitivity of your turbo(s). To be safe and prevent a dent in your wallet i would invest in a bypass valve. Also dont believe everything you read online do some reasearch of your own.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You say alot of things about a person you dont know.

the PE TT kit from the factory doesnt produce enough boost to warrant a bov. from 5-7 psi, there really isnt any need to worry about it. from our test drives, my PE kit doesnt surge.

that doesnt mean if you turn up the boost to maybe if you're pushing 9 to 12psi nothing is going to happen. The G35Coupe kit, however DOES have a little surge problem. i hope Aaron is reading this... and he does install one...

as for the comments about Tadashi, thats kinda outta the blue. Tadashi doesnt sell any turbo kits of his own manufacture, however he is a reseller, and we did design the piping and help PE out with the TT kit..... that doesnt mean he's going to purposely go of his way, to say comments like what you say he is doing just to blow up your engine to make a buck. that's just not common sense. Blow a motor, and what? make money off the repairs, but lose 10x as much from the bad press?? think about it.

He helped develop the TT kit... if he wanted to put a bov on it, then fine. he should have suggested it be added AS WE WERE DESIGNING THE KIT. and based, on your theory he can make more money right?

you can make your own decisions on using the BOV...

Originally posted by etx
If Greddy, PE and Tadashi jumped off a bridge would you?

6 psi is low comparatively, but it's physically a decent amount of air and is without a doubt enough to put a lot of extra wear on your turbos. Like ^ said, he can here that sound. That sound is the sound of that *little* amount of air pushing the compressor wheel around the other way. Beside the wear surge can cause to a turbo, think about the time it takes for the turbo shaft to start going the right way again. Now think of what happens when your exhaust gas is getting pushed back in by the turbine wheel. Yeah, really healthy.

Does Tadashi sell turbos? I'm sure he does and I'm sure that's the first place you will go when yours die. What a great service this guy is providing. I don't care if you run a bov or not. But I feel bad for the masses who read your post and think it's ok. It's NOT ok.

I do not know Tadashi, but I am sure he is a very knowledgeable person. But I simply disagree with him. Perhaps the Z does not close the throttle place all the way when you back off the throttle, that could help prevent surge. I have never run a FI system on a motor that uses a DBW throttle.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:06 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

damn cheston you made my point and didnt give me the chance to be a jackass.

id like to know what makes etx such an authority, it makes sense to me that decent sized turbos like in both kits at only 6 lbs of boost should be just fine.

theres no one i trust for tuning more then tadashi, i drove a long way to have him tune my g35, and ill make the same drive to have him tune the Fcon on my next car.

behold the face of the man you know not
Attached Thumbnails Does TT need 2 BOV?-me-with-tadashismall.jpg  

Quick Reply: Does TT need 2 BOV?