Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
nothix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a better place to pick up these parts? are they all needed?
The shop owner said he will call his people and see whats available, but that I should do research also, to find out how much work I want to do.

A quick total of all items listed put me around $2k in parts
the big items are TC, VB, and rebuild kit

$400 seems high for a rebuild kit that consists of 4 gaskets and a bunch of o rings
Old 04-21-2009, 05:58 AM
coachk
Banned

www.altousa.com

More than likely GTM uses Alto parts...call Alto and get some prices. They have the kit for all the parts.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 AM
BaZooKa

Install the Torque converter if you drag ,, if you dont drag dont bother with it,

as the use of the torque converter is to make the rpm rev faster, and you could make ur rpm 3,500 while youre hitting the brakes and gas ..
Old 04-21-2009, 09:51 AM
nothix

I have done a bit of drag racing in the car, but only to check tuning/improvements.
I wont be doing any sort of bracket drag racing, so I'll probably pass on the TC.

What are the weak points in our trannys? what would be upgrade priority?
I'm definitely getting the Transgo VB kit.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 PM
BaZooKa

Originally Posted by nothix
I have done a bit of drag racing in the car, but only to check tuning/improvements.
I wont be doing any sort of bracket drag racing, so I'll probably pass on the TC.

im not sure, but i think that the weak point is the clutch packs, maybe George@GTM cld help us
Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Heat is the #1 killer of automatic transmissions. A valve body reduces heat caused by friction by provider for firmer, quicker shifts that are a bit more jarring, but prevent the gentle, slipping engagement of the clutch packs, which generate so much heat.

Thus, keeping transmissions temps under control is critical! Keeping the clutch packs from slipping is critical as that generates heat while wearing out the frictional elements.

To do that, you need to:

1. Monitor temps and add an appropriate cooler to keep temps in optimal operating range (175 to 200 deg F).

2. Employ a VB upgrade to prevent slipping the clutch packs.

3. Depending on the stress you subject the transmission to, upgrade the clutch packs with higher friction, heavier duty counterparts that can handle high heat, high input torque without degrading.

Nothing lasts forever. By employing what's recommended in steps 1, 2, 3 above (along with frequent ATF changes) you will lengthen the time to failure. Obviously the higher the input torque, the shorter the time to failure. Employ the modifications that you can afford. Good luck.

PS. Heat degrades ATF, with synthetic ATF (like matic-J) being more resistant. The ability for ATF to prevent component wear (by reducing friction) decreases over time. At 200 deg F, synthetic ATF may be good for 30k miles. At 250, it may be good for 5k. Change the ATF as frequently as your oil if you're running FI and you can also lengthen your time to failure. A drain/fill is so easy on our cars since we don't have to drop the pan. There's no excuse not to do it.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:10 AM
nothix

Originally Posted by rcdash
Heat is the #1 killer of automatic transmissions. A valve body reduces heat caused by friction by provider for firmer, quicker shifts that are a bit more jarring, but prevent the gentle, slipping engagement of the clutch packs, which generate so much heat.

Thus, keeping transmissions temps under control is critical! Keeping the clutch packs from slipping is critical as that generates heat while wearing out the frictional elements.

To do that, you need to:

1. Monitor temps and add an appropriate cooler to keep temps in optimal operating range (175 to 200 deg F).

2. Employ a VB upgrade to prevent slipping the clutch packs.

3. Depending on the stress you subject the transmission to, upgrade the clutch packs with higher friction, heavier duty counterparts that can handle high heat, high input torque without degrading.

Nothing lasts forever. By employing what's recommended in steps 1, 2, 3 above (along with frequent ATF changes) you will lengthen the time to failure. Obviously the higher the input torque, the shorter the time to failure. Employ the modifications that you can afford. Good luck.

PS. Heat degrades ATF, with synthetic ATF (like matic-J) being more resistant. The ability for ATF to prevent component wear (by reducing friction) decreases over time. At 200 deg F, synthetic ATF may be good for 30k miles. At 250, it may be good for 5k. Change the ATF as frequently as your oil if you're running FI and you can also lengthen your time to failure. A drain/fill is so easy on our cars since we don't have to drop the pan. There's no excuse not to do it.
Ok heard back from the shop.
Clutch packs are burnt up, I'm guessing from what you posted, it ran too hot and slipped too much. The new fluid maybe has 2,000 miles on it.

Now the shop is telling me I need to replace the Valvebody also.
Stock Rebuild:
- Master kit
- filter kit
- electronics
- valvebody (pewter),
- new tc
Quote: $3822.63

Upgrade Rebuild:
-Stock Rebuild
-2800 Stall Torque Converter with High pressure balloon housing
Quote: $4073.73

My other options, would be to pick up the GTM tranny for $4500 shipped with upgraded clutch packs, valvebody, Torque Converter, or buy a used 04.5 Tranny Ive found for $1200 shipped. I'd do the install myself, or pay the shop to do it.

I'm leaning towards the GTM tranny, I'll have to call the shop back and see how much it will cost to pay for the work they've already done on the old tranny, and drop the new one in.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:41 AM
BaZooKa

+1 for the GTM fully built tranny
Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 AM
coachk
Banned

Get a price from SFR for their upgraded rebuild ..
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM
nothix

how can i contact SFR?
where are they located?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 PM
nothix

OK the plan is to order the transgo vb kit and GTM trans cooler, unless it can be proved to me that the plutch packs, and other upgrade parts GTM sells are not OEM replacement.
My shop says no one makes upgrade parts for this transmission, and that even the Torque Converter will be custom built.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
rcdash

Call Sam or George at GTM. Even if you don't go with them, you will be better informed.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
nothix

Ok just got off of phone with shop again.
Told me the cause of the problem was with the Torque Converter failing and need keeping high enough oil pressure in the tranny, which lead to higher heat and burning up up clutch packs and the likes.

The plan is to let them rebuild it back to oem specs, install valvebody upgrade kit, and GTM cooler
Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Told me the cause of the problem was with the Torque Converter failing and need keeping high enough oil pressure in the tranny, which lead to higher heat and burning up up clutch packs and the likes.

The plan is to let them rebuild it back to oem specs, install valvebody upgrade kit, and GTM cooler
If you aren't racing it , that should be good enough. I have hundreds of 1/4 mile passes on my tranny, but I have always used a aftermarket tranny cooler.
As noted heat is the #1 killer of an auto trans.
I'm having the transgo VB put in some time next week to see if that solves my slow shifting problem.
I have been told that we have the Titan 5AT in these Z's. Anyone know anything about that? If so they are rated for 350# of torque.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
BaZooKa

Good plan , please some reviews of the GTM cooler when installed,, + pics of where exactly its mounted cause im ordering one soon

Guys how often do you change ur tranny oil NA ? and how about FI ?
i change my tranny oil every 40,000 Kilometers,, about 25K miles ,, thats what the dealer ship does to nissan cars
Old 04-22-2009, 01:56 PM
nothix

Is there a better cooler to buy?
has anyone installed a thermostat on their ATF?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
nothix

Originally Posted by fowlman01
If you aren't racing it , that should be good enough. I have hundreds of 1/4 mile passes on my tranny, but I have always used a aftermarket tranny cooler.
As noted heat is the #1 killer of an auto trans.
I'm having the transgo VB put in some time next week to see if that solves my slow shifting problem.
I have been told that we have the Titan 5AT in these Z's. Anyone know anything about that? If so they are rated for 350# of torque.
which cooler are you running?
I'm going to let them put in the built TC with 2800 stall
Old 04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

which cooler are you running?
I'm going to let them put in the built TC with 2800 stall
Rob at Z Car Garage http://www.zcargarage.com/ put it. I just checked their bill and it says "ZCG transmission cooler" so I don't know if it something they buy from another vendor.
You could email him and ask. Rob would probably know off the top of his head.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 PM
rcdash

Unless multiple fins broke off precluding flow, I don't know how a TC could be failing that would result in a loss of pressure. It's a fixed volume container. A mechanical failure could result in excess slippage in the TC resulting in excess heat. That seems plausible. But loss of pressure? I'm not an expert but it doesn't make sense to me. Can you ask that they save evidence of the failed part? I'd love to see a pic or understand better. For a second opinion you could call Edge Racing or ProTorque. Again, be informed. Good luck.

Last edited by rcdash; 04-22-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 PM
nothix

Yes I will definitely ask for all stock parts.
It seems as though the shop is telling me whatever they have to so that I buy more parts. At first he said the Clutch plates wore out, then it was the torque converter.
Everything he may be telling me may be accurate, but with no experience with automatic transmissions, I really have no idea.

I'm leaning towards buying a used tranny for $1200, having him install it for $1000ish, and removing the vortech until I can afford something that can hold the power (MT)

Quick Reply: 5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read