Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Can you say 500 crank / 400+ rwhp? I knew you could…

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 11:29 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you say 500 crank / 400+ rwhp? I knew you could…

Hi, folks! Time to make a major announcement about my car. Through the concerted efforts of Cosentino Hi-Lines in Charlotte, Crawford Z Car Service in Nashville, and myself, we are overjoyed to unveil…

The Cosentino Hi-Lines / Crawford Z Car Service Vortech Supercharged 350Z!!!

Yep, over the past few weeks, my car has experienced some new upgrades that we are showing off for the first time at the FoodLion AutoFair at Charlotte Motor Speedway this coming weekend. If you are in the area come out and take a look!

Of course, we are sporting more than just a supercharger… I had already done cams, headers, exhaust, and so on…

But enough chit-chat… I know what you people want to see… dyno numbers!!!! And, of course, I have them. Attached below is the dyno of our final configuration with all tuning done and all parts broken in and tweaked.

As you can see, our peak number was 419rwhp SAE (WinPEP actually showed 425)!!!!!!!!!!!!! If we consider the average drivetrain loss of 17%, this equates to 504.8 crank horsepower (X/(1.00-0.17)=Y). WOOHOO!!!! Also, for those working on STD, I’m posting those numbers, too, as they are even higher!!! As far as I have seen, this is the highest number posted yet for a supercharged 350Z! Now I just have to work on catching those TTs.

I will try to post pics of the install and my driving impressions after the weekend. The rest of today I will be prepping my car for the AutoFair. Those interested in seeing the car in person can find me at the following shows:
  • FoodLion AutoFair – Charlotte Motor Speedway, Charlotte, NC – April 3 & 4
  • Z Attack IV – Action Nissan, Nashville, TN – Saturday, April 17
  • ZDayZ at Tail of the Dragon – Fontana Village, Fontana, NC – May 21-23
  • 10th Annual NC Z Car Show – Greensboro, NC – Saturday, June 5th
  • (tentative) Hot Import Nights – Merchandise Mart, Charlotte, NC – Saturday, June 12th
Attached Thumbnails -sae_dyno_sm.jpg  

Last edited by mcduck; 04-02-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:30 AM
mcduck

and the STD corrected numbers...

Hey, JUZTIN... time to update the top 10 FI list again!!!!

Everyone else... I'll try to check back in about 2-3 hours to respond to questions and comments.
Attached Thumbnails -std_dyno_sm.jpg  
Old 04-02-2004, 11:32 AM
MCopare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice #'s congrats!
Old 04-02-2004, 11:35 AM
PoWeRtRiP

i bet you could pick up some more power by upping the redline via ts, your tg didnt even start to fall yet!

edit how much boost is that?

Last edited by PoWeRtRiP; 04-02-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Phatmitzu

Yikes! SWEET!

YEah, how much boost? and how bout some infos on the set up?
Old 04-02-2004, 12:24 PM
zimbo

Did you guys modify the timing maps as well as the fuel maps?

--Steve
Old 04-02-2004, 01:38 PM
VR3

NICE! timing adj? fuel adj ? psi?
Old 04-02-2004, 01:57 PM
2003z

very nice indeed!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Way ta go Duck! Did you go with an ECU flash or something like the J&S safeguard to address the timing?

Is there any issue with the lightweight pulleys and the SCer?

Did you go with larger injectors? Did you do anything as far as the internals of the engine?

And like the others asked, how much boost?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:57 PM
damoniusmonk

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Can you say 500 crank / 400+ rwhp? I knew you could…

Originally posted by mcduck
Hi, folks! Time to make a major announcement about my car. Through the concerted efforts of Cosentino Hi-Lines in Charlotte, Crawford Z Car Service in Nashville, and myself, we are overjoyed to unveil…

The Cosentino Hi-Lines / Crawford Z Car Service Vortech Supercharged 350Z!!!

Yep, over the past few weeks, my car has experienced some new upgrades that we are showing off for the first time at the FoodLion AutoFair at Charlotte Motor Speedway this coming weekend. If you are in the area come out and take a look!

Of course, we are sporting more than just a supercharger… I had already done cams, headers, exhaust, and so on…

But enough chit-chat… I know what you people want to see… dyno numbers!!!! And, of course, I have them. Attached below is the dyno of our final configuration with all tuning done and all parts broken in and tweaked.

As you can see, our peak number was 419rwhp SAE (WinPEP actually showed 425)!!!!!!!!!!!!! If we consider the average drivetrain loss of 17%, this equates to 504.8 crank horsepower (X/(1.00-0.17)=Y). WOOHOO!!!! Also, for those working on STD, I’m posting those numbers, too, as they are even higher!!! As far as I have seen, this is the highest number posted yet for a supercharged 350Z! Now I just have to work on catching those TTs.

I will try to post pics of the install and my driving impressions after the weekend. The rest of today I will be prepping my car for the AutoFair. Those interested in seeing the car in person can find me at the following shows:
  • FoodLion AutoFair – Charlotte Motor Speedway, Charlotte, NC – April 3 & 4
  • Z Attack IV – Action Nissan, Nashville, TN – Saturday, April 17
  • ZDayZ at Tail of the Dragon – Fontana Village, Fontana, NC – May 21-23
  • 10th Annual NC Z Car Show – Greensboro, NC – Saturday, June 5th
  • (tentative) Hot Import Nights – Merchandise Mart, Charlotte, NC – Saturday, June 12th

Holy Crap! Nice work!

I want one.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:49 PM
slay2k

Sick. Boost PSI?
Old 04-02-2004, 04:51 PM
zuff

More info on how you delt with timing and fuel pls.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:52 PM
350Now

very nice..
Old 04-02-2004, 05:12 PM
damen

congrats mcduck
Old 04-02-2004, 05:20 PM
mcduck

Okay... now that Frankenstein has achieved a new level of "Zaino-ness" for the show tomorrow, I'll try to address some of the comments above...

i bet you could pick up some more power by upping the redline via ts, your tg didnt even start to fall yet!
edit how much boost is that?
Not sure I will TS... I tried one of their programs with just my NA mods and it did not work as well for me as it did for other here so I went back to stock. Maybe if I could just do the rev limiter and nothing else...

On the otherhand, the Vortech tuning software says I'm making around 9.5 lbs of boost at redline. Not sure I want to wind up another 600rpm... may get to point that it would be too much boost for the bottom end.

Phatmitzu...
I have upgraded the cams, have all the Crawford Go-Fast goodies, Borla True Dual exhaust and, of course, the Vortech!

Did you guys modify the timing maps as well as the fuel maps?
and...
Did you go with an ECU flash or something like the J&S safeguard to address the timing?
and...
More info on how you delt with timing and fuel pls.
Yes, timing and fuel were both adjusted... all changes were done through R4 software and the Split Second box.

Is there any issue with the lightweight pulleys and the SCer?
Well... we did have to swap the stock harmonic balancer back on for the Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley (so I got a nice shiny one to sell now!). We kept the other two and I think that may be contributing to my higher boost. I think most are hitting 8lbs at redline where I'm hitting 9.5-10lbs.

Did you go with larger injectors? Did you do anything as far as the internals of the engine?
No and mostly no. I was a bit surprised that we hit this number with the stock injectors, but they seem to be doing fine. The only internal engine mod are the cams... bottom end is stock.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:43 PM
mcduck

Okay... now that questions are answered... my impressions...

I'm going to keep this short... what can I say about having this much power at the wheels that others haven't already said.

Basically once the car is moving, it winds to redline incredibly fast in any gear. Honestly, I noticed the power more when I was riding in the passenger seat than when I was driving. I guess when you drive a beast like this, you focus much more energy on keeping it straight on the road.

Toughest thing so far is learning how to launch well. There is a fine line between babying it off the line and inducing gobs of wheel spin. I still haven't mastered it and I won't 1/4 mile my car until I do.

On the other hand, it is incredibly easy to launch into a downshift when you are already rolling. Basically 30mph or so into second gear or 60mph or so into 3rd gear snaps your neck back and by the time you nod your head back down from looking at the ceiling, it's time to hit the next gear.

The bad news... I have the Crawford Plenum, which means the Crawford strut bar if you want to keep the strut bar. Well, the Crawford strut bar doesn't get along with the Vortech. Basically, the bar sits incredibly close to one of the 'toothed' gears. When the body flexs from uneven surfaces or cornering, they touch and the sound is most unpleasant. For now, we have taken the Crawford strut bar off and Doug is going to fabricate me some special "adjustable" brackets. Hopefully this will correct the issue... if not, I'll have to find another solution. So far, I haven't missed the rigidity the strut bar brings, but then I haven't tossed the car around a very twisty road since it came off either.

Other than that one point, its all good!

What makes it sweeter is my first quality kill was a Dodge Viper. From a roll, he tried to show his butt by launching ahead of me. He seemed very surprised when I closed the gap coming up on his bumper, let off the gas, then did it again. When I came up beside, he didn't want to play anymore! I'm sure he was stock, which means I probably should win, but it was satisfying nonetheless.

Dat's all for now. Forgot the install pics are on my work laptop and I don't have that here. I'll post them up next week along with some pics from the AutoFair.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:33 PM
fluidz

whats ur timing map look like after 4,500rpm?
Old 04-02-2004, 07:07 PM
little_rod

Congrats on the setup, mcduck. Looks scary, which is a gooood thing. I have forgotten what you have on your car though, you got to give us a rundown again. Do you have the Crawford headers?? Are you saying that you have all their stuff plus the borlas?? Also, are you saying that the other two lighter pulleys (besides the crank pulley) are causing you to get 9.5 lbs of boost?? If that is the case, do you plan on going down to the 8 lbs of boost, or will you stay where you are at around 9.5??
Old 04-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

This is really amazing with an otherwise stockish Vortech kit. Your bolt-ons are helping as well which is great. I like how the Split Second box is highly tunable..both timing and fuel. Great work.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:49 PM
baptist

Great work man! as a future Vortech owner its nice to see figures such as these, all credit to you and your tuning.

Quick Reply: Can you say 500 crank / 400+ rwhp? I knew you could…