Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Nismo adjustable fuel pressure regulator...will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nismo adjustable fuel pressure regulator...will this work?

Nismo now makes an adjustable upgraded fuel pressure regulator that replaces the stock unit.

I saw this at Performance Nissan and thought I'd share with everyone. It is adjustable from roughly 20psi to 80psi, but does not have a rising rate feature (that I can tell). It is my understanding that it swaps out with the stock reg, but hopefully someone can confirm that.

If so, this might be another alternative to get a more constant fuel pressure across the board vs. runnning a new return line and aftermarket reg. From what everyone has told me, some kind of 1:1 rising reg is actually best, but this solution should be good for about 500whp when coupled with a Walbro 255.

Any opinions on this? I was thinking of settting the pressure to 58psi or so....

If you all give me the go-ahead, I will be the guinea-pig.

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...products_id=97
Old 05-12-2004, 10:58 AM
PoWeRtRiP

it does swap with the stock reg but i believe you also have to buy an adapter bracket as well.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Yes, you are correct...they sell that too.

Anyone else on how this setup will effect fuel pressure?
Old 05-12-2004, 01:52 PM
mprowe350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GQ,
Have you seen the stock assembly? If so where would something of that size fit. The stock regulator is nothing more than a valve attached to the plastic pump assembly that dumps the gas straight down into the tank. How would the boost line get into the stock plastic assembly?

MIKE
Old 05-12-2004, 01:56 PM
7 eleven

I don't think this will work on a returnless system have you called and checked? It looks like a regular regulator with adjustment.
Gary
Old 05-12-2004, 02:10 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. Since the stock regulator is biult into the pump assembly, soemthing tells me this is not going to work.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

hmm....good points. I called performance nissan, but they havent installed this on a car yet. There is very limited experience with this piece.

I looked through the 350Z shop manual, and there is no reference or diagram of the fuel pressure regulator inside the fuel pump assembly.

I am kinda lost at this point.....I guess I need to open up the assembly to take a look inside.

Sow how exactly are people mounting the aftermarket FPR's with return line? Will it fit inside the pump assembly? Or are people mounting it somewhere else.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:03 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

regulators on return style fuel systems are located at the end of the fuel rail (in terms of how the fuel travels from the tank, back to the tank). this is how it keeps pressure high on the inlet side (the fuel rail side), and low pressure on the return side (which goes back to the tank.

i think what people need is this: The Bell Engineering Multi-role Regulator. This sucker has an adjustable base pressure (so you can set to stock 51psi or whatever you want), and has an adjustable rising rate pressure.

The model needed for our car's (aftermarket turbo'd) would be: the MR2035.

There is more information, and a pic of the MR2035 here: http://www.bellengineering.net/Pages/products_FPR.html

this is similar to what UR is using in their custom fuel setup, but is only one part. UR also includes modified fuel rails and modified intank assembly, along with new fuel lines.

i was going to go the Bell FMU route, until I spoke with UR... I really like thier solution...

hth,
michael
Old 05-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

OMG.....that is the most beautiful FPR I have ever seen. Carved from a solid block of billet aluminum. It looks like a small thermo-nuclear device.

So ski....how do I bypass/plug/get-rid-of, the stock FPR?

Walk me through the installation of this unit please. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2004, 05:11 PM
mprowe350

SKi,
That regulator is simular to the SARD type R. The SARD is adjustable for idle pressure and conpensates 1:1 for boost. It is billet aluminum and looks like the one you posted.

MIKE

My fault, the SARD is not sim b/c it has a preset rise in press.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

scartch that....very informative section here in their website.

http://www.bellengineering.net/Pages...struction.html
Old 05-12-2004, 05:19 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

gq:
i have not seen the stock fuel assembly in some time, but i think you can hack it up, so from the top of the intank pump, you can run a fuel line to the top of the assembly, skipping past the regulator.

this is also why UR's solution is pretty trick... they do a mod similar to this on the assembly, plus a couple more to keep the fuel pressure dead set.

i wish i knew how they did it, cause then i wouldn't need to buy it

hth.

mike:
this one does more than just 1:1... that would be just an adjustable FPR... there are tons of those out. with this one, you can change the ratio to 3:1, 2:1, 2.3:1.... whatever you want/need. that's why it is so expensive.

m
Old 05-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

holy cow...the chief engineer at that company is none other than "Corky Bell", argueabley one of the best industry experts on Turbo's and SC's. I have read his book 7 times.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:06 PM
jesseenglish

I would buy anything that guy sells. Seriously.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:12 AM
etx

Ok here we go. I was finishing up a huge post about this FPR and the power went out here at the office. So I'm going to keep this short. Corky is indeed a briliant guy, but this frp isn't worth it's weight in scrap metal. Two reasons why...

First, The thing does not hold it's settings. I hope you enjoy tuning your fpr every time you start the car.

Second, This is 100% completely the wrong regulator for this application. It is designed to work WITH the stock FPR and to raise fuel pressue above the stock level when it gets a positive boost signal. Let pretend this thing actually works right (which it does not) it would only jack the fuel pressure UP above the stock ~50 psi. We have electronic fuel control! We don't need this. Fueling a turbo motor by jamming more fuel through the injectors by means of pressure is the worst possible way to fuel a turbo motor. Additional fuel pressure works to a point, but truthfully after about 90 psi your not going to get any more fuel through the injector. You could hit 130 psi of fuel pressure and still not get any more fuel through the injector. Also the fuel lines on the Z are most likely not made to withstand that kind of abuse.

This is what you guys need, a 1:1 fpr to REPLACE the stock fpr.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=AEI%2D13109

Mount it in the engine bay, run a return line, and give it a boost signal. I use one of these in my other car, it's solid.

If you for some reason want a rising rate FPR the only one to get is the Vortech SFMU.

Seriously don't by the thing. This is the unit I had worked with

I sold it for $20 on ebay, I'm surprised it got that much for it.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

ETX, I think you have it all wrong....

Based on Spaz's testing, all we need with 440cc injectors is about 60psi MAX pressure at readline to acheive 450whp or beyond.

So you are right and wrong. yes, you want a 1:1 reg, which any ol' FPR can do. But the Bell unit is certainly not bad. You can set the base fuel pressure (pressure at idle), and there is no need to "tune" the fuel pump all the time. You set it once and you are done.

Notice they also have two FPR. One is similar to the Aeremotive unit you described, which will work in conjunction with the stock FPR. This is how spaz is running it and he maints stock 50psi of pressure at idle, which is ideal...and then you add 1 psi f pressure for every 1 psi of boost. You still need the stock FPR to establish the base fuel pressure with the bell unit. There is nothing wrong with that at all. The two units will work together. the main drawback of the stock reg is that it cannot dump enough fuel to controll the Walbro 255...so you have 70psi at idle, and maybe 58psi at redline.

The Bell unit looks very well made, and does a nice job as intented.

The more expensive Bell unit would eliminate the stock FPR all-together. And yes....if I had an unlimited budget, and was running greater than 500whp, I would bypass the stock reg, drill the fuel rail, attach a FPR at the END of the fuel rail, and run new stainless fuel lines back to the tank. But that seems like a $1000 proposition. With Spaz's approach, you are maybe looking at $350 dollars worth of stuff...including the walbro. And Spaz dropped the return line right off the FPR and into the stock FP housing.

Again, there are certainly better ways to do this, but this is a very cost effective and safe way to acheive your goal...if you are looking at 450-500whp or so.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:52 AM
etx

Originally posted by gq_626

The Bell unit looks very well made, and does a nice job as intented.
GQ, I'm serious. That thing is a piece of ****. I've seen it blow up more motors than I can count on my hands and feet!

The aeromotive unit does the same thing. You set the base fuel pressure, attach a vac signal and it will give you 1 psi of fuel pressure for every psi of boost in the intake to account for the boost and spray the proper amount of petrol.

That regulator is built to force petrol through the injectors on cars that do not have electronic fuel control. Not only is it a piece of crap, it's not the proper fpr for our setup.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:58 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

That's my point...it does the same thing. Both the Aeromotive unit and the cheaper Bell unit do exatly the same thing...and are designed to work in conjunction with the stock FPR. This solution should be good for 450whp with a Walbro 255 no problem.

I am not debating your characterization of it's quality. If you have seen and used one in the past, and it didnt deliver, then your opinion is accurate.

I was more just challenging your technical explanation of what the FPR did...and didn't do.

I am still really surprised that Corky Bell would attach his name to a poor-quality product. Are you sure the FPR was installed correctly? I mean...FPR are inherently very, very simple devices. How can a FPR blow up a motor once the pressure is set correctly...it seems very bulletproof. I have only heard of blow motors due to fuel pump failure...never from failure of the FPR.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:16 AM
etx

It uses a diaphram that reacts to even the smallest change in temperature. It's an over all poor design. Trust me. :P

This unit is about twice as much as an aeromotive 1:1. And the problem is that the stock system is sending too much fuel pressure, that needs to be addressed at the stock regulator. I'm telling you, this thing is worthless.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

After talking to Spaz...I am gong with the Aeromotive FPR and return line at the tank.

Quick Reply: Nismo adjustable fuel pressure regulator...will this work?