Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy(Piece of Sshit) TT Saga, If your' going to install this kit READ!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 06:30 AM
m3powerrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy(Piece of crap) TT Saga, If your' going to install this kit READ!!!!

OK. Here it goes. I first started with a Stillen SC. Although it that minor problems it went on great. We wanted more power, so we trashed it and decided to go with the Greddy kit. Mind you, at the time nothing else was available. It was Greddy or custom.

We get the kit and follow instruction to the T. Nothing spectacular. It wasn't the first time we ever installed a turbo kit on a car.

Car gets finished within the recommended time allowed by other "professional shops". I've heard from different sources that shops were charging 25 - 30 hours of labor.

We dyno the car and it does great.

One problem. We have an EXHAUST LEAK.

We go under the car and check the bolts/gaskets/fitment. If you haven't been under there it's tight. We do what we can without ripping out the whole thing. No improvement.

At this time, we're questioning our ability. We think we screwed up. We think we suck!!. We look for other solutions.

Greddy - Well known manufacturer of aftermarket products.
We call Greddy with our problem and seek help. They're like "we never encounter this problem. No one's ever complained regarding this problem". We're a little pissed. We ask if they could send us new wastegate gaskets. They say "NO". We say **** off and shaved all Greddy logos from the kit.

Balanced Performance - Reputable shop located here in the suburbs of Atlanta. We take the car to them. They give us the usual performance shop chit chat. You know the whole, "yeah, we've done this many times. We know exactly what the problem is, we'll fix it no prob....." Give us an estimate right there on the spot. $700 - $800. We're like fine. Just do it(we're depressed at this point because we had to seek other help). They tell us it would take 2 - 3 days. A week goes by. Not a word form the shop. We drove by and the car is parked outside where we had left it. We called them to let us know our concern and they tell us they had assessed the problem and it was going to cost us $3500. We're like **** you and picked up the car.

I could go on and on but every performance shop we spoke to had no idea where to start or what the problem might be.

This past weekend, we were sitting around and said **** it and went to work.

We took down the Cat, then the down pipe. From here the wastgate screws are in eyesight. It's still very hard to reach. We took down the wastegate and noticed that's where most of the leaks were coming from. We replaced the gasket we purchased form a non-greddy source and proceeded to reinstall the wastegate. We took our time and tightened the bolts that hold the wastegate to the manifold. Before I go on, this is what you have to understand.

Wastegate mates up to the manifold and it also plumbs back into the downpipe. The openings of the wastegate is at 90 degrees. If you tighten the wastegate to the manifold all the way and then try to place the downpipe, more than likely the holes will not line up because the downpipe needs to bolt up to the turbo as well as the wastegate. Proper procedure would be to put the wastegate on to the manifold loosely, place the downpipe and then tighten all the bolts. The problem is you can't get to the wastegate bolts after the downpipe is placed. Well, we noticed that one of the wastegate bolt is barely reachable. we put the whole assembly together loosely and managed to tighten one of the wastegate bolts tight to hold the wastegate in place. Took the downpipe back down and then proceeded to tighten the other wastegate bolt. Here's the kicker!!!!!!

We're tightening the wastegate bolt into the manifold. It gets tight and we're thinking we got it this time. We're like YEAH. We give the wastegate a little shake to make sure we tightened it good. The damn thing moved. We're like what the????? Any tighter the bolt will break.

After inspecting the bolt/wastegate/manifold, I almost shot myself. Goddamn ***** ****ing GREDDY. They did not drill/tap the manifold hole all the way through. The bolt was too long and it was bottoming out. It would have never gotten tight. No where in the instruction did it point this out. We used the hardware that was provided. I was soooooo ****ing pissed. Why didn't they tell us when we called for support???? Why???. One little statement from them would have saved us soo much time.

We took the wastegate back down, cut the bolts and damn, it was go time!!!!.

This solved the problem. I see no way another performance shop would have fixed the problem. I assure you, before cutting the bolt, 9 out of 10 people would have said the wastegate was on there tight.

Lastly, when we had the assembly apart, we drimmeled all the holes larger. You have to do this. The assembly will be sooooo much easier.

After this experience, I am anti Greddy. We will call our kit a custom kit using Greddy parts. In a way it is. We drimmeled the **** out of that downpipe. I regret everything about Greddy. Their support suck. The way they speak to you suck. Their product knowledge suck. If you're going to sell something like this, fit the **** first. If it's difficult to fit, have good support.

Everyone with this kit, please check your system for exhaust leak.

Don't let Greddy tell you that not drilling/tapping the manifold hole all the way through is not a design flaw. Don't let them convince you that it's intentional. Because after the crap they pulled on me, I know they'll try to. Number one: Bolt is too long. Number 2: The manifold on the left side is drilled/tapped all the way through.

If you're going to install the kit, dry fit it. Make sure manifold -> wastegate -> downpipe fitment is good before placing it onto the car. And if that hole is not drilled all the way through, CUT THAT BOLT!!!!!!!!

PM me for questions.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:30 AM
USED

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. You may have gotten a first run kit from GReddy. I looked at our kit and the holes in the manifold/wg/intermediate pipes are completely drilled and tapped all the way through.

You have to realize that the GReddy kit is still new and will have to go through more production changes until they work all of the "bugs" out.

It does suck that GReddy treated you like that. Maybe they need some better customer service/tech support.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:33 AM
m3powerrr

Well, let's see. I emailed them and sent them this link. I want to see how they respond.

A little more attention to the after-service would have saved us a whole lot of grief.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:45 AM
zectasy

i dont have the kit myself and i realize that the kit just came out but in mycase...im 20 years old and i spent 6gs on a TT greddy kit i would want everything to fit perfect with no hassle...thats alot of cash to spend and go through ********...greddy should deff hook you up with a evo2 exhaust or sumthin for your hassle...
Old 07-12-2004, 07:47 AM
350zttnis

Chill out man, 1 in a million chance and yours came up! Too bad, dont cry what is already done. Still a great company and I think that they can live with 1 anti Greddy customer. Cant please everyone.
350zttnis
Old 07-12-2004, 07:57 AM
joenismo

When I removed my engine I also noticed the same problem that you have. The only way I would have ever found it though, was because I had to take my engine out. My leak was never very bad so I just let it go. There are many small problems with the kit, I think they just expected you to work them out.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:07 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 350zttnis
Chill out man, 1 in a million chance and yours came up! Too bad, dont cry what is already done. Still a great company and I think that they can live with 1 anti Greddy customer. Cant please everyone.
350zttnis

actually several owners have commented on having to dremel the wastegates, and other components to make them fit, and some have leaks from the gaskets. he is definitely not the only one with problems.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:08 AM
m3powerrr

Not goanna happen. They didn't even want to send me an extra wastegate gasket. I was willing to buy it but they gave some ******** excuse about how they couldn't sell it to me directly.

Listen, when I call HKS, even with parts that I bought used, they go out of their way to help me. They've even sent me faxes of diagrams and info. I really like them. Good product knowledge too. You'll see, I won't even get a phone call or an email from them.

There was a magazine article back regarding this install. They even said a Greddy tech had to come out and do something(they didn't get into details) to make this kit fit. When we confronted Greddy about this article, they denied it. I just can' t understand.

If I have to fiddle with an aftermarket part so be it. It doesn't bother me that I have to shave something here add somthing there. I install bodykits all the time for customers. I can't think of one kit where I didn't have to fiddle with. But I know ahead of tiime what I have to do. If Greddy gave me support and told me the problem, I would have no complaints. I'm jsut pissed about all the time I wasted. What if I had to pay someone to do this? No shop would have done it for free once they found out it really wasn't their fault.

When we explained the fitment issue "MANY" people were haveing with the downpipe, they actually told me to take the entire assembly apart and send it to them. Look, if someone is technically inclined to take on a job as this, if the problem is addressed and explained, the installer should be able to compensate. If 2 know nothing garage mechanics such as ouselves can figure it out without any support, I would imagine a professional(if there is such a thing) installer should have no problems with a little support. Damn Greddy!!! Damn them!!!!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:14 AM
m3powerrr

350zttnis
It's not matter of haveing a 1 in a mil faulty product. It's haveing the support to correct. Like I said, I'm not complaining about the product. I don't expect any aftermarket products to go on like OEM. What I expect is the support. In this case, Greddy really dissapointed me. Currently we are building a one off highly modified vehicle in-house. There are many products already purchased from Greddy. You can be sure their logos will be completely erased. Many of their electronic components have been taken apart and encased in custom enclousere to ensure Greddy name will not be on this vehicle. Yes, I am not happy with this company. If I am 1 in a million, so be it. I alwasy was the underdog.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:16 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Last edited by PoWeRtRiP; 07-12-2004 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 AM
dubulup

Still a great company and I think that they can live with 1 anti Greddy customer. 350zttnis

there is definitely more than one.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:29 AM
m3powerrr

Originally posted by dubulup

there is definitely more than one.
What's up carson, thanks for giving me some lov.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:57 AM
KShep

My car goes back to the shop next month to have the metal gaskets installed in the wastgates. Not aware of any leaks as of now, but I'll have them check those bolts. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry you have had such PITA with this project...hopefully things will move along smoothly from now on. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Phatmitzu

Humm interesting. I've heard of a couple of Greddy TT people have the exhaust leak problem. Dont know if its the same issue with the bolt. Didnt Gq had a exhaust leak problem? not sure if he have fixed it...

Gq, if you are out there, you might want to check the bolts out! Since your car is going to be at a shop anyways

Old 07-12-2004, 10:16 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
Humm interesting. I've heard of a couple of Greddy TT people have the exhaust leak problem. Dont know if its the same issue with the bolt. Didnt Gq had a exhaust leak problem? not sure if he have fixed it...

Gq, if you are out there, you might want to check the bolts out! Since your car is going to be at a shop anyways

Yeah, Sharif replaced both wastegate gaskets with Blitz gaskets, I believe. He said that the ones that came with the GReddy kit were paper and didn't last. I think that he still had an exhaust leak after that though and perhaps this may be the cause. I'll PM him this link so he can check it out.

-Chris
Old 07-12-2004, 10:27 AM
m3powerrr

Please check that bolt. The reason the gasket is failing is because it's not tight. It's really not made of just paper. It's paper reinforced with metal mesh. It's basically what's supplied with the Tial 38mm wastegate. The bolts are Tial supplied too. Greddy just never cross checked it. If you replace it with metal gasket, it might be worse because if the metal gasket is thinner and that bolt is bottoming out, the seal is worse. Good luck to everyone and Shave off that Greddy mark!!!!

Last edited by m3powerrr; 07-12-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:53 AM
POPA 350z

Hey m3powerrr, sorry to hear about your fustration with the kit, but your no the only one with the problem. My mechanic after doing the intallation, just befor puting my test pipes he moved the gasket form the downpipe to wastegate and it moved, and that was solid bolted. Is really a bad design. I had them repleced by Deltawastegate gaskets made by turbonetics, which are metal and are much thicker that the graphite metal gaskets that come with tial 38mm wastegates in our kits. What i never understood was, How can Tial supply with crummy gaskets? they are the best manufactures of wastegates....

I was upset also, I spent $6,000 dollars on it. so I expect quality.

But ***** happens....

About the balance perfomance I wasn't surprised about what happend...

Your not the only one that has gone thru this situation... GQ,Bini2 and myself we half had this same problem.

Thanx to GQ for the recomendation on the gaskets....

Just enjoy your car from now on....

Sorry and have a good one bro....
Old 07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
accordfreak

whoo.. I welcome you to the ANTI-GREDDY club.

I had a few simliar bad experiences with their BAD QUALITY PRODUCTS. And their customer service will ALWAYS be the same so it's no use calling them.

Last edited by accordfreak; 07-12-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:24 PM
m3powerrr

Shave them emblems. I emaild Greddy with this link and the link on the other forum. Still, not a peep from them. They're probably going to tell me to write to them in Japanese.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Road Warrior

m3ppowerr...thanks for the heads up....sorry to hear about your misfortune

Quick Reply: Greddy(Piece of Sshit) TT Saga, If your' going to install this kit READ!!!!