Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Single Turbo 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:36 AM
ColecatZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize it was the drag car...but was hoping the 1500 number came from a bigger turbo and bigger tercooler on their single setup with a built motor.

i'm going to be fine about 360 at the wheels ......so 400 wil be a bonus
Old 09-08-2004, 11:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ColecatZ
I realize it was the drag car...but was hoping the 1500 number came from a bigger turbo and bigger tercooler on their single setup with a built motor.

i'm going to be fine about 360 at the wheels ......so 400 wil be a bonus
Oh ok got ya....dude 1500 on a single turbo z????!!!!! That snail would have to be GINORMOUS!!
Old 09-08-2004, 11:45 AM
ColecatZ

yeah, it was unlikely.....but would speak wonders for the growth potential of the kit....

I cant even imagien what 1500 horsepower would feel like in a linear band....much less a sharp onset like turbo cars can produce..

see what you can find out on the engine managment when you go... I'm curious what the install will be like on this setup.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:56 AM
MIAPLAYA

yeah, it was unlikely.....but would speak wonders for the growth potential of the kit....

I cant even imagien what 1500 horsepower would feel like in a linear band....much less a sharp onset like turbo cars can produce..

see what you can find out on the engine managment when you go... I'm curious what the install will be like on this setup.
I kind of have an idea of what it is going to be but I'm not sure if Brad told me in confidence or not. I guess I should have asked.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Turbonetics

Oh we make turbo's bigger than that...how about 2,500HP from a single turbocharger
Attached Thumbnails Single Turbo 350Z-thumper-cutaway.png  
Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by Turbonetics
Oh we make turbo's bigger than that...how about 2,500HP from a single turbocharger
Old 09-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Turbonetics

and by the way...that big Thumper Turbo also is a ceramic ball bearing turbo.

we just finished a project that has one of those Thumpers blowing into a Super T76 (Compound turbo's) on a Dodge/Cummins diesel engine making 1,500HP @ 2,500 ft/lbs with 150psi boost in a truck that is set up to run high 7's in the 1/4. Gotta love the forced induction business

Last edited by Turbonetics; 09-08-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:22 PM
MIAPLAYA

and by the way...that big Thumper Turbo also is a ceramic ball bearing turbo.

we just finished a project that has one of those Thumpers blowing into a Super T76 (Compound turbo's) on a Dodge/Cummins diesel engine making 1,500HP @ 2,500 ft/lbs with 150psi boost in a truck that is set up to run high 7's in the 1/4. Gotta love the forced induction business
is what I would look like when I got done getting spanked by that thing in my Z
Old 09-08-2004, 01:04 PM
ColecatZ

Thanks for staying involved in the thread, Mr Turbonetics.

It's worked well for Peter and the APS crew so I hope you find the same successes.

I'm stoked about this kit and will continue to follow it's development. Engine managemnt and dyno's are the last pieces of the puzzle now.

Thanks again
Old 09-09-2004, 06:51 AM
mojo powered

let's bump this up..

More info? More pics? Please Turbonetics please tell us..

Old 09-09-2004, 07:05 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by mojo powered
let's bump this up..

More info? More pics? Please Turbonetics please tell us..

I should have some more pics for you guys next Fri. I'm gonna head up there and check it out.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:28 AM
ColecatZ

Oh man, I thought you were going tomorrow so I was content. I didn't realize it was next week.

Maybe trbonetics can post those Dyno's they mentioned yesterday to hold us over untill we can get more pics?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:55 AM
learn2turn

Turbonetics or those who know: I have a couple Qs and I just want to be clear.

What is the price estimate?
Is it around 5 grand flat?

You are using the stock exhaust manifolds with the V collection that you have developed.

Is that correct? Just making sure.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by learn2turn
Turbonetics or those who know: I have a couple Qs and I just want to be clear.

What is the price estimate?
Is it around 5 grand flat?

You are using the stock exhaust manifolds with the V collection that you have developed.

Is that correct? Just making sure.
We are shooting for the 5-6k MSRP with 8-10 hours required for installation. there are a couple of items left to settle before a complete design freeze can be declaired.

1) Engine managment is the main one.
2) A reasonable Injector supplier
3) How do you feel about us supplying a carbon fiber intake
manifold cover (replacing the plactic one)? it is purely cosmetic
as the stock one fits fine.

We are currently using a modified version of Tadashi's program, one issue we are concerned with is how the consumer feels about having to send your CPU off for flashing...in general are people confortable with this? We have considered a core program but according to Tadashi CPU's are VIN# specific for anti-theft...not clear if this can be overcome.

Manifold: Yes, they are stock with a "Y" collector, this whole arrangement bolts solidly to the stock manifolds and is coupled with V-band connectors for ease of installtion and servicability.

Once initial installation is complete removing the turbo for service or upgrade can be done in about 20 minutes. 4 turbo mounting bolt, 4 turbine down pipe bolts, 2 oil drain bolts, 2 hose clamps (air inlet & intercooler pipe) and an oil line all of which is accessible from the top of the engine.

In designing products we sometimes think we know what the industry wants or needs...however you guys are the ones spending the money and we are here to listen and attempt to satify those needs when and if possible...that being said we as Turbonetics want your feedback.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:18 AM
MIAPLAYA

We are shooting for the 5-6k MSRP with 8-10 hours required for installation. there are a couple of items left to settle before a complete design freeze can be declaired.

1) Engine managment is the main one.
2) A reasonable Injector supplier
3) How do you feel about us supplying a carbon fiber intake
manifold cover (replacing the plactic one)? it is purely cosmetic
as the stock one fits fine.

We are currently using a modified version of Tadashi's program, one issue we are concerned with is how the consumer feels about having to send your CPU off for flashing...in general are people confortable with this? We have considered a core program but according to Tadashi CPU's are VIN# specific for anti-theft...not clear if this can be overcome.

Manifold: Yes, they are stock with a "Y" collector, this whole arrangement bolts solidly to the stock manifolds and is coupled with V-band connectors for ease of installtion and servicability.

Once initial installation is complete removing the turbo for service or upgrade can be done in about 20 minutes. 4 turbo mounting bolt, 4 turbine down pipe bolts, 2 oil drain bolts, 2 hose clamps (air inlet & intercooler pipe) and an oil line all of which is accessible from the top of the engine.

In designing products we sometimes think we know what the industry wants or needs...however you guys are the ones spending the money and we are here to listen and attempt to satify those needs when and if possible...that being said we as Turbonetics want your feedback.
Have you guys considered going with an Split Second Box or HKS unit like Fcon instead of the TS ECU. While I would prefer and personally think the TS reflash is better for those that dont want to do that the SS box has had very good success with the Vortech kit and tuning with the R4 software has shown to be easy and very productive. Just a thought. Like I said I would prefer to wait a couple days and have the reflash.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:11 AM
ColecatZ

I like the idea of the carbon fiber cover but I would prefer it be optional to the kit to keep cost down. Several of us have already refinished our stock covers in a color of our choice and I would just as soon keep the cover I have. You also avoid issue with ppl that have aftermarket strut-tower braces.

I wouldn’t mind having to send my ECU off for a re-flash, and would go that route if left with no option but I would prefer something a little more flexible in the tuning arena, such as the successes the Greddy and Vortech guys have seen.

And in regards to the “Y Collector” that bolts to the stock manifolds, will those of us with aftermarket headers need to return to stock? In most turbo applications I would automatically say “yes, you would” but that is assuming that the turbo is bolting to the manifold.

If I could, in fact, utilize my headers, then that will directly affect my tuning needs….

Lastly….the downpipe coming off the turbo….how does it mate to the stock exhast and at what point?.

Thanks, I hope this helps
Old 09-09-2004, 11:24 AM
AxionF117

very cool kit, will this be made for the G35 though?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:13 PM
mojo powered

I also vote on the reflash since it is less of a hassle for the end user. We would appreciate the rev limiter raise and the larger injector scaling in the stock ecu as well. I guess those who want to take the kit one step further could buy their own piggyback to further tune the kit. For plug and play use, I definitely vote for the mail-in reflash anyday.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:25 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by mojo powered
I also vote on the reflash since it is less of a hassle for the end user. We would appreciate the rev limiter raise and the larger injector scaling in the stock ecu as well. I guess those who want to take the kit one step further could buy their own piggyback to further tune the kit. For plug and play use, I definitely vote for the mail-in reflash anyday.
Werd... maybe an option. PnP with the reflash....INSANE PSYCHO POWER END USER TUNING ABILITY with a piggy back?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:42 PM
dollar99

I think you should use the Splitsec box for engine management. It controls timing as well. us Vortech owners love the system. Very easy to tune by yourself on a laptop.

The problem with a reflash, is that the customer can't fine tune the maps by himself/herself on a dyno. What if he wants to tune for 94 octane? or even race fuel?

Last edited by dollar99; 09-09-2004 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo 350Z